PTI Officer. Can you wear cross swords

His unit perhaps?! Clues in the term RTU...
read what you wrote muppet

Off topic a bit but way back when I was going through TA basic a fellow recruit rocked up for training with wings sewn on his DPM.

so where was he RTUd to from a stab basic training course?

Last edited:

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt

Off topic a bit but way back when I was going through TA basic a fellow recruit rocked up for training with wings sewn on his DPM.

His unit. Don't know whats so hard to understand about that??

You do realise all non infantry reservists complete phase B centrally at either Grantham or Pirbright, and have done for the last decade or so?

There must be a few crusty old LE officers who were gym queens, back in the dim and distant. You never see them wearing PTI swords. I have never seen them on anyone higher up than a sergeant.

In the reserves I believe you join your unit before you go on your basic training course.

There can be a significant time between joining unit, and parading with them weekly, and going on your basic training course.

ISTR that RMAS has more RAPTC on establishment than any other unit including ASPT, so you may wish to curb your enthusiasm. That said, RMAS is straight down the line on these things, if its on JPA and it meets dress regs, you will be wearing them. A few ex TA paras on my commissioning course, who wanted to be low profile, weren’t given the choice.

ISTR that RMAS has more RAPTC on establishment than any other unit including ASPT, so you may wish to curb your enthusiasm. That said, RMAS is straight down the line on these things, if its on JPA and it meets dress regs, you will be wearing them. A few ex TA paras on my commissioning course, who wanted to be low profile, weren’t given the choice.
which is totally fair enough - dress to the dress regs. If you're not dressed to the dress regs (certainly at RMAS never mind the post RMAS 'no two officers knowingly dressed the same' tendency) then you live dangerously...

If you’re willing to clock in at the gym and take PT during most of the working day then go for it. Your platoon/troop sergeant and indeed your coy/sqn Comd may have something to say about that though.
Ignore this. If you get to Sandhurst, you will be a trainee and thus be teaching nothing. They have enough RAPTC to keep people occupied so definitely won’t be using your expertise to take PT/ETL lessons. AIPT qual is a little bit different to having jump qual/Cdo trained

Ignore this. If you get to Sandhurst, you will be a trainee and thus be teaching nothing. They have enough RAPTC to keep people occupied so definitely won’t be using your expertise to take PT/ETL lessons. AIPT qual is a little bit different to having jump qual/Cdo trained

You appear to have missed the sarcasm in my post. Of course he is not going to be missing rifle drill on Old College Parade square to take a circuits lesson on behalf of the RMAS RAPTC staff. Nor will he be doing so when he joins his first unit as a platoon/troop commander.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thinking about it, from the perspective of the cadet(s) themselves, what's the impact - positive or negative - of having some of their ex-ranker pals all winged- and daggered-up and clanking with gongs, as is likely to have been the case in the last few years? Inspiring or depressing?

Thinking about it, from the perspective of the cadet(s) themselves, what's the impact - positive or negative - of having some of their ex-ranker pals all winged- and daggered-up and clanking with gongs, as is likely to have been the case in the last few years? Inspiring or depressing?
2006; We had 2 'winged' individuals in my company (ex-3 Para, ex-216 Signals) and a number of former soldiers with medals (mainly Telic / Herrick; a few Bosnia as well).

It was neither inspiring or depressing to me (or that I noticed from others). We knew that they were ex-rankers and were just a source of information (WTF is 'Bulling?' for example). Their accruements mattered not - neither of them were the fittest (that was an ex-TA Infantry bloke).

it's a lottery IME - past chestful of gongs/green beret is no indicator of ability to pass BRNC/RMAS etc. I vividly remember a very long evening with an ex WO1 desperately trying to get ship tech maths into him, and him on the verge of tears, before an exam the next morning.

Best advice someone gave the upper yardies when they arrived at BRNC? Page one of a new chapter, there will be things you bring from your old life, but that's over and this is day one week one. After a week, when they've got everyone up to speed with bulling, everyone's increasingly in the same boat. That's the view from the dark blue anyway.

2006; We had 2 'winged' individuals in my company (ex-3 Para, ex-216 Signals) and a number of former soldiers with medals (mainly Telic / Herrick; a few Bosnia as well).

It was neither inspiring or depressing to me (or that I noticed from others). We knew that they were ex-rankers and were just a source of information (WTF is 'Bulling?' for example). Their accruements mattered not - neither of them were the fittest (that was an ex-TA Infantry bloke).
We had one back in 76 who was a Cpl in the AAC with both wings and para wings. He even had a GSM and a UN medal he was very impressive and became an SUO.

TC20

Swinger

An acquaintance went through in the mid 80s winged up, with a South Atlantic Medal and 7.62 sized scars. I've no idea how the others on the course found him, however, perhaps contrary to received wisdom, he reckoned that some of the overseas cadets who had been involved in their own nasty little wars (as opposed to the sons of royalty) were worth listening to.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
On my Sandhurst entry were two ex TA SAS types. Both paraded with funny wings on wooly pulleys - next morning both had bbc by order of the CSM

On my Sandhurst entry were two ex TA SAS types. Both paraded with funny wings on wooly pulleys - next morning both had bbc by order of the CSM
?