PTI Officer. Can you wear cross swords

Hi,
I’ve done my AAPTI course, and earned my cross swords. I am now looking to commission (DE as I’m a Lance jack) and will commission as a 2LT. Will I still be entitled to wear my cross swords on my itchy scratchys/2’s etc as a junior officer? (Or whilst at sandhurst as a Officer cadet)
thanks
Why would you??

DSJ

LE
Hi,
I’ve done my AAPTI course, and earned my cross swords. I am now looking to commission (DE as I’m a Lance jack) and will commission as a 2LT. Will I still be entitled to wear my cross swords on my itchy scratchys/2’s etc as a junior officer? (Or whilst at sandhurst as a Officer cadet)
thanks

Why would you draw attention to yourself in that way from day 1?

Erinon

Old-Salt
Hi,
thanks
Talk about making yourself a target.....

DSJ

LE
In my intake of c. 300, we had people who were commando trained/para trained/former 21/23/PTI trained. I recall that maybe three of that group wore their wings on their blues (they were former Para Regt). That’s it.

Suggest blending in better than standing out for the “wrong” reason. Good luck.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You earned them, wear them. Just make sure you are first across the line on every PT type event :)

Cutting around with wings, daggers, diver helmets etc just marks you out as a big time Charlie and causes people's eyes to roll. If you've qualified in something or other, big deal, well done you. Are you that fragile a character that you need a wee badge to show how good you are?

Remember rule number 1 - Badges? we don't need no stinkin badges

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Off topic a bit but way back when I was going through TA basic a fellow recruit rocked up for training with wings sewn on his DPM. Turned out he was an ex para who'd served in Bosnia and Afghan, and spent some time on selection, but had to start from scratch due to the length of time he'd been out. The wings certainly got him noticed by the DS and he became a lightining rod for grief from them as he should have been at least as good as us raw recruits, but wasn't, and also thought he was better than the DS. Finally his backchat to one of the Sgts that "while you were getting that 3rd stripe I was out fighting a war" got him RTUd. Not sure if they'd just had enough or if they got wind that the other 7 of us in the section had planned to do him in that evening. On the plus side they spent so much time beasting him they left the rest of us alone!

Why would you??
While your at it, a blue peter badge always makes a good impression, bin the Jim'l fix it momento though, at least until you get to your unit.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
While your at it, a blue peter badge always makes a good impression, bin the Jim'l fix it momento though, at least until you get to your unit.

The PO Gunners at Dartmouth were really impressed that I had my Cycling Proficiency badge and my 10-metre and 25-metre swimming badges already sewn onto my No. 1 uniform...

(only kidding, I never did pass Cycling Proficiency...)

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Don't.

'Smith' arrived at the Guards Depot having declared his previous service at the recruiting office and recruit selection and said no more about it.
6 weeks into training, he is bounced off the square by the Depot RSM to the Depot Tailors Shop.
Ordered to hand over his tunic.
This was returned with a good conduct stripe and a Dettol badge.
From this point he was the focus of the DS and caused much 'amusement' on his arrival at his Regiment.

In short.............just don't

The PO Gunners at Dartmouth were really impressed that I had my Cycling Proficiency badge and my 10-metre and 25-metre swimming badges already sewn onto my No. 1 uniform...

(only kidding, I never did pass Cycling Proficiency...)

Semi seriously though, it cuts both ways. Crossed swords for a PTI course, absolutely not, but on the other hand I went through BRNC with a commando qualified ex booty who couldn't win because while trying to play it down, he got repeatedly run by the staff for being improperly dressed until he put his green lid on.*

At which point he of course stood out like a sore thumb, and painted a target on himself. But because the staff had bothered to read his records, he'd already painted a target on himself for not wearing it (and his para wings).

On the other hand (to amplify the point), I also went through with an ex booty bandy who funnily enough never got asked why they didn't have their trade badge on their nos 1s...

UP to you which category you think the AAPTI course is...

Hi,
thanks
I get whilst at sandhurst. What’s the views on wearing my cross swords when at field unit as I am “in date” for 5 years however officers aren’t PTI’s

DSJ

LE
I get whilst at sandhurst. What’s the views on wearing my cross swords when at field unit as I am “in date” for 5 years however officers aren’t PTI’s

Just my opinion - “not done” as an officer (not that my opinion matters. Your CoC on the other hand..) .

Also think of the fallout of sticking them up and then not coming back in first in any of the PT sessions.

If you’re willing to clock in at the gym and take PT during most of the working day then go for it. Your platoon/troop sergeant and indeed your coy/sqn Comd may have something to say about that though.

Just my opinion - “not done” as an officer (not that my opinion matters. Your CoC on the other hand..) .Also think of the fallout of sticking them up and then not coming back in first in any of the PT sessions.
Officers (outside of the RAPTC - unsure of them) cannot be PTIs, and therefore cannot wear them, unless dress regs have changed.

Therefore, unless you can find something in the Dress Regs that says you can wear it: Don't.

If you do find something saying you can wear them: Don't. You are unlikely to be the fittest in your unit and will look like a badge-collecting weirdo.

Niamac

GCM
Officers do not wear badges of trade qualifications. It is assumed that they can do anything - with the exception of map-reading, obviously.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I use to wear my submarine dolphins on my Army mess kit and service dress :p