• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Pti basic info required

Units just informed me i didnt selected to get on the march 2012 course. does anybody know what the dates are for 2012 - 2013 course please

I Have asked but unfortunatly he isnt in his office and i have just put in 6 months training preparing for it and booked the time time off work which is not easy so forgive me for being eager to get some information on the off chance i might find out before he returns on monday as at the moment i am ******* gutted , thanks

Offer to go as a travelling reserve, and take pot luck.

At least you've now learnt an important lesson, don't book holiday unless you have a course booking confirmation.

Dont worry, the 6 months training isn't in vain. Once you are a qualified PTI you will be expected to maintain that same level of fitness as you may be called upon by the school of PT at Aldershot to review your abilities as a PTI, including completion of the pertinent physical tests.

Regarding knowledge of course dates, there is a MOD on here that may be able to help but his name escapes me, have you tried the search function?

what is a travelling reserve does it mean i wait for a phone call on the morning of the course or i go down there hoping a space comes available? On the holidays work insists we book holidays in october for the next year so i have to gamble on that one .

October that's a little harsh, can't you speak to them and explain the issue?

No the best thing to do is chat to them over the phone and see if they are happy to take travelling reserves, but you will need to go down and sit on the doorstep and hope someone jacks it.

work are pretty good at giving me what i need but there is only two of us in my position and if he is on holiday when i need to go on course then i can do nothing about it. hopefully the reserve thing will happen .thanks for the replys

At least you got an answer. My PSI just shrugs his shoulders when I ask if I've been loaded on it. Wouldn't mind so much be he hadn't allready fucked it up last September.

If you're a determined take-no-nonsense type, pack your kit and turn up with a blank look and blag yourself on the course. There's always someone who doesn't turn up.

Years ago I went in to the TAC and booked me & a couple of others on a course we'd been waiting on for ages. The PSI was in the RSM's office (in the comfortable chair) nextdoor chatting to his new bird on the phone for so long that I was in & out before he was finished.

Phone your Brigade RTC, and ask for the QMSI PT there. Usually an NRPS seconded from the PT school at Aldershot, you'll get nowhere near the course without passing the selection weekend run by him at the RTC.

Phone your Brigade RTC, and ask for the QMSI PT there. Usually an NRPS seconded from the PT school at Aldershot, you'll get nowhere near the course without passing the selection weekend run by him at the RTC.
theres a selection for a pti course now... how many selection does the army wanted. "im on selection..." what happened to turning up on a course and passing it without all this crap :/

theres a selection for a pti course now... how many selection does the army wanted. "im on selection..." what happened to turning up on a course and passing it without all this crap :/
I guess it ended when they got hacked off with too many people just turning up and NOT passing courses? But i agree about the good old days shame the blagging has almost died.

Yeah, because the Army has never run pre-cadres, pre-Para, or pre-Commando has it? All the selection weekend is for is to ensure that everyone is passing the PFA and AFT to an acceptable standard, exactly the same as a Regular Unit would before loading blokes onto the main PTI course. Although judging by one female I heard about from one of my Inf mates on his course, this system isn't working as well as it should.

Still, nostalgia ain't what it was.

Still, nostalgia ain't what it was.[/QUOTE]

Ah I did not explain that I was of course talking about the Days where one could just rock up, prove your worth and Mr Sharpe would make a chosen man of you. (off thread i know)

Personally i put this down to a poor choice and running of a unit. Passing a PFA and AFT should not require a selection once a soldier is trained. Its the bottom standard, if they are struggling or failing to pass and require a selection for a course i wonder whether they should be on the course. Furthermore a unit should maintian these minimum standards, then a selection wouldnt be needed surely thus coming back round to the point if the unit maintained the minimum standards all these selections wouldnt be needed.

However as with pre-cardes and other arduous course seclections, because these courses ask for more than the minimum standards i understand why a unit would have to "select" candidates. This does not apply to a PTI course though because, having ask those who've done it, to pass it you only required to pass the standard fitness tests. (correct me if im wrong please)

So back to the point, a unit wishing to do selection for a course that asks for the minimum standard are clearly pointing out they are failing to train and maintain thier blokes to the required standard. By doing a selection its not proving who is good enough, but merely how poorly the units ability to keep to the minimum standards are.

P.S. apologies to all the spelling and grammar nazi's.

However as with pre-cardes and other arduous course seclections, because these courses ask for more than the minimum standards i understand why a unit would have to "select" candidates. This does not apply to a PTI course though because, having ask those who've done it, to pass it you only required to pass the standard fitness tests. (correct me if im wrong please)
P.S. apologies to all the spelling and grammar nazi's.
Yes and No.

On paper, you just need to be fit enough to pass the MATT's. In practice you need to be fit enough to pass the MATTs and be robust enough to be able to get through 5+ phys sessions a day without injury. A 7 stone racing snake who can run an 8 min PFA and just about scrape his AFT will not pass the course due to the extra tabbing sessions and the degradation over the week. Rugby monster who scrapes the PFA and pisses the AFT will not pass the course, due to being found out on all the steady state runs during the week.

The issues arise when people are fit enough to pass the MATTs, and believe that they will make a good PTI because they can shout a lot. When they begin to get worn out by all the extra phys sessions, this is when they start to get "injured" or "play the game".

And I agree, in an ideal world it would be the minimum standard for everyone to be fit enough to pass the PFA and the AFT. Sadly until the TA stops treating AT Quals and a minibus license as a bye towards the AFT and PFA, it ain't gonna change. I know of one industrially fat full screw who was signed off for her AFT for years, by virtue of the fact that she drove the jack wagon on the AFT and was a minibus wallah for the unit in question.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful.

P.

Latest Threads