Pte F Hall 7873470

A chap has contacted me as while out metal detecting on a beach in Suffolk, he found a pocket watch bearing the inscription Pte F Hall 7873470 1919.
How does one go about tracing this man or his family to enable him to return the watch which is in quite good condition considering it was found buried in the sand dunes.

Any pointers would be appreciated

P

PrinceAlbert

That's a silly idea FSJ. He's better off borrowing my time machine and going back to 1919.

Go to rootschat.com and look for the WW1 section of the Forum. And post your question on that web forum.

Or. Look at the CWGC web site and search for the name as a possible casualty of WW1

Was it an official Army issue watch? did it have the WD arrow and a part number on it?

Or. Look at the CWGC web site and search for the name as a possible casualty of WW1
Probably not listed there if the watch was engraved in 1919, unless the 'flu got him. A lot of WW1 records were destroyed in the Blitz ISTR.

Can you check the number, "army numbers" of the period were generally 5 or 6 digits depending on unit, but majority were renumbered with 6 digits in 1917.

There aren't a huge number of F Hall's coming up on Ancestry but as mentioned above, the number isn't right for the period.

oldbaldy

LE
Chap could always write a letter for publication to the EADT.

oldbaldy

LE
Maybe he was not british but commonwealth forces, Canadian, Aussie etc?
I've searched all Ancestry and not getting a match in any country.

Trelawney, what is is they say about observation and the RAC!!!!

That reminds me, I have a wooden Coat hanger in my wardrobe with Gnr Davies 247***** inscribed thereon which I would like to return to him.