Pte F Hall 7873470

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by trelawney, Dec 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A chap has contacted me as while out metal detecting on a beach in Suffolk, he found a pocket watch bearing the inscription Pte F Hall 7873470 1919.
    How does one go about tracing this man or his family to enable him to return the watch which is in quite good condition considering it was found buried in the sand dunes.

Any pointers would be appreciated
  2. Just look in the phone book and ring every number listed as Hall. Could take you a few years mind.
  3. That's a silly idea FSJ. He's better off borrowing my time machine and going back to 1919.
  4. Go to and look for the WW1 section of the Forum. And post your question on that web forum.

Or. Look at the CWGC web site and search for the name as a possible casualty of WW1
  5. National Archives might be a good starting point.
  6. Was it an official Army issue watch? did it have the WD arrow and a part number on it?
  7. Probably not listed there if the watch was engraved in 1919, unless the 'flu got him. A lot of WW1 records were destroyed in the Blitz ISTR.
  8. It's not as stupid as it seems, I actually found a LT who served at arnhem by doing just that. Someone I know did that for 3 years and puzzled together an entire platoon.

9. Can you check the number, "army numbers" of the period were generally 5 or 6 digits depending on unit, but majority were renumbered with 6 digits in 1917.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Put it on ebay. If the owner wants it back he'll fork out for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Chances of that working are F Hall.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. There aren't a huge number of F Hall's coming up on Ancestry but as mentioned above, the number isn't right for the period.
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Chap could always write a letter for publication to the EADT.
  14. Maybe he was not british but commonwealth forces, Canadian, Aussie etc?
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I've searched all Ancestry and not getting a match in any country.