pt before breakfast

Why? I like PT before brekkie, stops me throwing my frosties over my trainers half way round the route.

Horizon BBC2 had a thing (say) 6 years ago on how you can manipulate the body through diet and exercise - gist of it was i) a good bit of phys on an empty stomach first thing causes a useful dump of human growth hormone, and ii) a big scoff with loads of carb and some protein after strength training causes an insulin dump and a big increase in gains.

The suggestion was that you could manipulate your endocrine system to get some of the benefits of drugs without buggering yourself up.

So a run before brekkie might be a good idea.

Don't know if it would be related, but I ran my best BPFA before breakfast and after a night of "culture" in Hannover... Maybe thats the secret?

Early morning PT is convenient for the British army as it makes writing weekly training programmes a simple task. It is also a good way of waking everybody up, giving you a burst of adrenaline and starting the day on positive note; unfortunately, that is where anything positive about it ends.

- Your body has not been fuelled by food for about 9 - 12 hours.
- You are very dehydrated, the average human sweats about 1.5 pints a night during sleep.
- All your muscle groups are stiff.
- Any alcohol drunk the previous night is still in your system
- The list is endless

If the army instigated an afternoon only PT regime, we wouldn’t all be walking wrecks by the time we reach 40!

jarrod248 said:
You should never do PT until you have eaten something due to waking blood sugar being low.
And how do you think people survived before shopping for food was a possibility?

A bit of PT before breakfast makes your body think it is working for its food, which is how nature intended it.

forrest said:
i recently heard that pt before breakfast is not done anymore for obvious reasons!!!

can anyone confirm this for me??

cheers
What reasons?

A little PT before breakfast wakes up the body's metabolism and sets you up for the day. I don't think anyone is suggesting a sprint over The Fan. Half an hour or so of moderate is all that's required. Used to do it when I was in, still do it now....well sometimes.

cheers guys just ehat i thought. you can tell who the old school lads are!!

PYREX, reasons are endless,

dehydrated,
low glucose,
still pissed,
dark in the winter,
stiff,
not alert,

not good for maximum benefit from a session!!

i just heard that it was in black and white and i was wanting to see what the score waselse where

Only problem I had with PT before Breakfast is that we never then go morning scoff and were then starving till Naafi Break/Mid day scoff. That and I had to get up 10 minutes earlier than I would normally.

forrest said:
cheers guys just ehat i thought. you can tell who the old school lads are!!

PYREX, reasons are endless,

dehydrated, - Drink before you do it
low glucose, - Have a Mars bar
still pissed, - Man up or stay sober
dark in the winter, - Not in the gym its not. Wear a Hiviz vest. Do it where there are lights
stiff, - Proper warm up
not alert, - Funny old thing, the phys will make you alert

not good for maximum benefit from a session!! I'd suggest its perfect actually.

If correctly managed, there should be no problems at all. Sounds like yet another whinge from the yoof of today to make an excuse for not doing something.