PT at Sandhust

Discussion in 'Officers' started by adlawrenceuk, Mar 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I have just begun the application process to become an officer in the British Army so I am eager to find out as much as I possibly can. So my question is can anyone give me details of the various PT you do at the RMAS?

Thanks for any help.

2. First term - swimming, tabbing with weight, running, circuits.

Second Term - circuits, swimming (less) running, tabbing with weight

Third term - similar. Add in a bit of training geared towards endurance (stretchers) log race (...logs...), Assault Course etc.

If you are uber keen, there is boxing, and some sportsmen do keep up their own sports during sports afternoons and the like. Others use it as an opportunity to catch up on sleep or slope out of camp. You'll be fit, but don't expect a huge amount of variety.

3. Thanks, was looking for a bit more detail though as in how much running, and how much swimming (ie. distance, speed etc.)

4. It's done in sessions of forty-five minutes (or double PT - 1 1/2 hrs). Are you asking out of interest or in terms of training pre RMAS? If the latter, plenty of good threads available.

5. Just out of interest really. My main concern is that I am quite large. I have played rugby for years as a prop so you can imagine I am currently carrying a lot of extra weight (although I am dieting and losing a fair amount in my training for the army). I am highly confident that I can pass AOSB relatively easy.

I can complete a MSFT pretty easily (up to 10.2) and running 1.5 miles in about 12.20 atm (I have only just started training as its probably going to be a year before I am even close to RMAS). I can run around a rugby pitch for 80 minutes no problem, however I struggle to run long distances ( I think this is largely a psychological problem). So I really want to know what to expect once at RMAS and If I'll be able to 'cut it'.

6. Concentrate on your running and cardiovascular fitness. Circuits, jogging, swimming, all good! I know there are a couple of threads with really excellent advice on training programmes. Also, good to get a daysack on and spend a few days in the hills, if only to break up the monotony of running.

find the threads on pre-RMAs fitness training, and good luck. Plenty of serious Rugby Players go to Sandbags and few struggle in terms of fitness.

7. As you've said, it's mainly psychological. If you've got a good base level of fitness and work to achieve the minimum standards by the time you do your AOSB, then with the correct mental attitude (and don't go there assuming you'll get through) and a good effort on your part, should you get through I'm sure you won't have any issues at RMAS.

8. If you can comfortably get to level 10.2 on the MSFT then you should be running the 1.5 mile in under 10.30 seconds, which you will have read in the various information leaflets, is the time limit to be an officer. I always find with long distance running that switching off works (warning...this will cause you to look like a mong but you will no doubt go further than you would if your thinking about your achy legs or dry mouth etc.)

Although I have not got to RMAS yet, I have been told that you cannot prepare enough for the PT sessions. As long as you can do the minimum requirements then you should be fine, the PTI's will get you to your peak qucikly enough.
    Do plenty of running (both long distance and sprints), swimming and gym work. (Remember to do as much work as you can on boosting the old brains, as a lot of the testing is more intellectual than physical.)

Good luck with your application, if you have any questions do a thorough search of this site and it will more than likely have been covered before. If not there will be someone on this site who can help you out no doubt.

-OCS-

9. From an ex tighthead prop who went through it back in the day concentrate exclusively on losing weight and
    really hammer the aerobic stuff. The closer to a lean, fit, run all day flanker you can get the better.
    But, I found the more weight you have to carry ( in kit terms, not body fat) and the tougher
    the going, ie mud, tussocks, steep Welsh hillsides, rain, the nearer the front you'll find yourself.
    You get into what would be a high gear in low range on a Land Rover and just keep on going.
    On the four, five mile, clean fatigue stuff though oxygen is always King and you have to rely on
    your natural dark-hearted prop hatred for long-legged b'stards to see you through.
    You'll love it!

10. All sound advice so far, definitely work to slim down. Check the Health and Fitness forum as well as there is a lot of good stuff on training programs.

11. Just to chip in with a bit of up-to-date info.

Term one has a bit of most things: You'll start with a PFA, then most of the sessions will be clean fatigue stuff. You'll do a bit of everything: Running (steady state and some repetition work), upper and lower body circuits, CV on the machines, swimming and tabbing. The tabbing is progressing you towards the CFT late in the term. You'll do about one a week with gradually increasing weight. The CFT is not a hard test.

Term two introduces battle PT. This means the assault course and some log running; with a bit less emphasis on the gym and clean fatigue running. You'll spend the term training for the ACFT - this can get a bit cheeky. In the pool, you'll do your swimming wearing combats and occasionally with a rifle.

Term three has less stuff in the timetable, but you're expected to take responsibility for your own PT. As an incentive to this, the physical tests get harder so it's not worth slacking.

As you might gather from the above, you'll want to be a pretty well-rounded individual when it comes to fitness. Get good at CV and be used to dealing with lactic acid, because nothing makes you look a twat quite like falling out the back of a tab. The training now is pretty progressive, with a bit of a jump between the first two terms, but you don't want to be in a situation where you're dreading every PT session.

12. A helpful post, thanks.
    I'm curious, what does the ACFT comprise of? I purely ask out of interest, I'm sure I'll find out in due course...

13. You do the PFA route in 15 minutes with boots and about 20kg of rifle and kit. Then you do some RMT's (representative military tasks) like rope climbing and casualty dragging. As always, the training is worse than the actual event but it's best effort so you will be ballbagged at the end.

14. ACFT is 1.5 miles in boots in under 14 minutes, then a second 1.5 mile best effort in same dress. After this previously mentioned RMT's, although this comprises of IIRC a 200m firemans carry of a partner in 90 seconds, a 150m jerry can carry (not allowed to stop at any point on the carry) ,climbing in and out of the back of either a SV or 4t DAF depending on what is available and some other tests as well that I cant remember.... but yeah the whole thing does leave you bolloxed by the end of it.

15. No it isn't. Its exactly as 'overpromoted' says.