Psychometric testing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by WolvoExPunk, Nov 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The company I'm doing contract work for recently advertised for some new permanent staff. As I'm only doing this as stop-gap til something more suitable turns up, I didn't apply. But some of the others did. Part of this was on-line psychometric testing. Despite doing the job for over 3 months, none of them got through to the interview stage. Conversations with long serving staff reveal that people who have been doing the job for 20 to 30 years were given the test as an experiment. They all failed.

One of my fellow contractors who failed has a friend who did the test. Because her friend doesn't speak very good English, she sat with her through the test and helped with the answers. Her friend passed. People who have been recruited through this test have made safety-critical errors, to the extent that some of them have been put on othe duties.

What does this say about the test? Is it fit for purpose? What are the HR dept playing at? Is someone up there from a rival firm trying to bring down the company from within?

I sincerely hope that the successful applicants turn out to be real wrong 'uns. Thieves, junkies, muggers and serial killers who drag the name of the company though the dirt, and endanger the HR department.

Rant over.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It says the test is shit and not fit for purpose; in any event the validity (i.e. do they think they are measuring what they are measuring?) and reliability (are the results repeatable for the same candidate on a different date?) have probably got low values. The tests simply test for the suitability of a candidate not their effectiveness at the task. Useless fact; ATO's and airline stewards and stewardesses have the same psychometric profile, both proven by doing a job analysis of what they actually do and then profiling the job description to the people that the company needs to hire.

More important these tests should only be used as part of a battery of tests e.g psychiatric profiling, individual interviewing by the same panel of people using pre-set relevant questions etc.

Of course that costs money :(

Edited to add - see Roofrat below.

Normally administered and interpreted by pricks who have absolutely no training or understanding of their working or basis of formulation.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. My last posting (85-87),was the Int Centre when it was still at Templer Bks,in Ashford.

Psychometric testing,was used during my time there (I'm non-Int),one particularly slack Wednesday afternoon,I was invited to have a go,I failed and was laughingly advised by the guy supervising the test that "I would never make a soldier",my reply was "I wish some ****** had told me 22+ years ago,it would have saved me a lot of grief". ;-)

I think they're a bit like IQ tests,they prove you can pass tests but,what did we do before PT? :yawnstretch:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. First time time I did the test I told the truth, and failed. On the retest 12 months later (with same interviewer) I lied through my teeth and passed, what does this mean

..If you want the job bad enough, what the hell.

...failed the AT course later after having a brain drain on Guided Weapons
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I've blown out an interview tomorrow because they were asking me to go through three hours of this shit. (and only for a temp job...I mean, wtf!)

sod that, I'm staying in bed.
  6. Thought they were invalid in UK employment law. I've had to do psychobabbles but they were 'only for research' and 'did not count' toward the application.
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I did one not so long back for the big multi-national I work for. It was a productivity thing - understand yourself and your co-workers better and you should be able to work slightly more effectively.

You did a set of 30 - 40 questions. For each question you picked the best and worst alternative from the 5 available. From there, a computer program put together your profile. Mine was fairly accurate - I'd agree with 90% of it. There were similar comments from the rest of the people I work with.

Among other things we were colour coded into Red, Green, Yellow or Blue. (I came out mainly blue)

Which Color Personality Are You: Red, Blue, Green or Yellow?

Companies are beginning to realise that interviews are not always reliable predictors of performance, so they're turning to testing to predict how people will fit in. For example, you wouldn't put someone who scored 'Red' in a job that requires you to be touchy-feely.

The best bet is to answer the questions quickly and instinctively. If your psychometric profile does match what the interviewing company is looking for, the odds are you'll fit right in and do well in the job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. We have it in the company I work for. It's a regular occurence that guys going for promotion fail the test, even though they have practically demonstrated the ability to do the job.
  9. Right, there is something not right here. You cannot "fail" a profiling test as that is not the way they are marked. In fact, they are not "scored" full stop.

I have done these things in my line of work on numerous occasions, and when lecturing, every 6 months, and in 10 years and perhaps 25+ tests, my profile has almost always been the same, even though I have sat different tests from different companies.

They are used to "profile" you, in other words, see how you work and think and are used in management jobs especcially to make sure you are the sort of person who can lead a team.

If you "fail" one then you are not sitting a profile test.

Also, they cannot be used as an excuse to get rid of someone, so if you are already employed and your firm introduces the test, they cannot turn round and say, "Oh, you do not fit in with the sort of person we want in that position". Since 65% of firms in the UK use them, they are a lot more common than one would think.

Remember, all they do is give a future employer an idea of how you prefer to work and your personality, they should not and connot be used as a "pass/fail" instument.
  10. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

You should, as I did, put on the top of the psychometric test (in this case Myers-Briggs) I AM NOT A NUMBER I AM A FREE MAN!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I came out as = Red Yellow & Blue. Strangely, if anyone who knows me was given the descriptions and asked what colour I would be, I would bet that they would say Green.
  12. I understand that Myers-Briggs has had notable comment that it is flawed. I dont know if there is any merit in these processes, it all seems like snake oil to me.

I recall reading in the Standard that a former employer of mine was looking for new hires, a hand written cover note was required and they stated they would use handwriting experts to analyse candidates personalities. They didn't use it when I started though.

I only worked for them for a few months and maybe it was wise to move on. For all I know tohugh maybe they have dropped that now and moved onto reading tea leaves or the like.
  13. I had a look at some of those links. I honestly cannot be arsed to go thru all that bollox. The test's a pile of shit anyway. How the **** do people who have been doing the job for over 20 years fail? Tomorrow, by the law of averages, in this crime ridden country, some poor ****** is going to get mugged, car-jacked or glassed in the face down the pub. Please let it happen to a psychometric tester.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

sod off...recruitment consultants should be the first in line for any unpleasatness...followed by HR staff. ;)