Psychologists study military wives

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by hansvonhealing, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this and wondered what the subjects of the study think of it - seems pretty obvious to me...

The British Psychological Society
    Married to the military

Whilst the hardships endured by military personnel get frequent interest, the lives of military wives have seen less scrutiny. New research by psychologists suggests that having to cope alone in the absence of their husbands, frequent re-locations and restricted job opportunities can impact on their self esteem and psychological wellbeing. The findings suggest that these women require additional support if they are to develop and maintain an independent identity.

This is the finding of research by Tone Lise Puckey and Gail Kinman from the University of Bedfordshire to be presented at the British Psychological Society’s Annual Conference at the University of York today, Thursday 22 March 2007.

Little was known about the impact of military life on the spouses of serving personnel, so the researchers set out to examine the relationships between the frequency of relocation and self-concept clarity, self-esteem, psychological wellbeing and life satisfaction of military wives. They did so through an in depth study of 45 wives of serving British Military personnel currently living in the UK who had, on average, been married for just over nine years with an average of 4.1 relocations in their married lives.

The frequency of relocation was found to be related to psychological distress, also having a negative effect on their self esteem and life satisfaction. International postings appeared to have a particularly marked impact on the well being of military wives.

The impact of working outside the home on wellbeing was also examined. Here it was found that wives who worked outside the home more than 16 hours a week tended to report higher self esteem, a clearer self-concept and higher levels of psychological wellbeing than those who worked fewer hours.

Ms Puckey said: "In general, military spouses considered military life to be rewarding but challenging. The absence of their spouse was considered the worst aspect of military life, but frequent relocation, having to cope alone and restricted job opportunities were also highlighted. Our research suggests that enhanced supportive structures should be developed to help military wives develop and maintain an independent identity to that of their husbands."

http://www.bps.org.uk/media-centre/press-releases/releases$/annual-conference-2007/married-to-the-military.cfm

2. I've posted this on Rear Party for comment...

3. Fine by me 'Dozy', hope you get some response...

4. "The findings suggest that these women require additional support if they are to develop and maintain an independent identity"

"it was found that wives who worked outside the home more than 16 hours a week tended to report higher self esteem, a clearer self-concept"

"help military wives develop and maintain an independent identity to that of their husbands"

So the conclusion seems to be that wives who think they hold their husband's rank need psychiatric help, not ridicule!

5. Your not married are you Dozy?

6. Nope, why just stick to making one man miserable?! :D

7. Is there not an argument for military wives being stronger,less dependant and more resourseful than civvie wives BECAUSE they have to stand on their own two feet and crack on while he's off playing and stuff?

8. Oh fcukninghell, i'm outa here, INCOMMING! :shaking2:

9. what!!????

10. I don't know if I can add anything of use to this, but it caused me to reflect on my own situation, as a civvy. For a few years I lived with a dentist, who had his own business. In fact, it was actually HE who lived with ME, in MY home, in my home town. I had a full time job as a qualified nurse and a network of friends. I'm a scruffy, uncouthed individual, who does not feel overly comfortable at large social gatherings. We always felt comfortable going out on the p1ss of an evening. It very much felt that our life was our own.

Now I am aware there are some perks in marrying into the Army. But my guess is, that, if my partner had been an Army dentist, he would have been an officer and there would be certain expectations of my lifestyle ......... with some restriction of freedom?

11. Nice one bigbird. Agree with you completely. They've obviously been talking to the 45 neurotic wives who run home to Mummy whenever life gets a bit tough!

Not sure I agree with you bovvyblonde on the restrictions for officers wives. I can't see any restrictions for any wives, officers or otherwise. Your lifestyle is what you make of it, you can involve yourself as much or as little as you like and the 'expectations' aren't what they were anymore. You get out what you put in. IMHO of course.

12. Thank you, northern_sange. I have no idea. I was just guessing out of my arrse. It's nice to be informed. I only posted because it got me wondering.

13. And find them all wearing saggy ronhills and stillettoes, while out purchasing copious quantities of OMO.

14. less of the saggy there old boy - most were feckin tight and well filled!!

15. The omo myth....again........take it your over fifty then?