Psychological Medical Standards for Enlistment / Retention

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Bits, Mar 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anbody help me out:

Can someone please explain in plain english the psychological medical standards for enlistment / retention / avoiding discharge? I can't get hold of an experienced military MO to help advise me on this, and the very limited library of reference documentation on ArmyNET does not include JSP 346 or the PULHHEEMS Administrative Pamphlet, 2000.

Three examples are below. In each example the candidate is keen and enthusiastic and in all other regards seems like a perfect candidate to enlist. I will let them go through to their enlistment medicals, but I don't want them to be crushingly dissappointed if they get turned down. I am also worried that the inexperienced civilian contract MO might make the wrong call:

Individual A admits to having occasional PTSD including nightmares and flashbacks resulting from a fatal car accident in his late teens.

Individual B is using prescribed drugs to overcome a long-term problem with panic attacks.

Individual C is using prescribed anti-depressants.

Are these clear-cut cases? Or are there shades of grey?

Very grateful for any help.

2. Dear Mr ABC

You can't join, you're too much of a loon-bag already.

Love and hugs

Mr_Logic

3. Thanks Logic. If only it was that simple. Nobody except the MO has the authority to say no on medical grounds. However, I don't have total confidence in the current medical authority's knowledge of the rules. These are all good lads (find me anyone who isn't a bit of a loony at heart), and I don't want to see a legitimate pass go as a fail, nor what should be a fail be passed.

4. Pulhheems pamphlet 2000 has been replaced by Pulhheems administrative pamphlet 2007. It is available in electronic form (which I've left at work so I can't send a copy right now)

5. Great, thanks Phantom. That would be very helpful. (What is the classification?)

I'm still after practical advice though, if anyone can offer it. I suspect that the pamphlet won't make it precisely clear what is and is not open to interpretation.

6. If you want a serious answer I would imagine that the following would apply;

A - why take on someone with PTSD already who is presumably far more likely to react badly to dangerous and stressful situations, like operations for example.

B - no, short term, as he is on medication. Probably no long term as he lacks the robustness require for military duty.

C - same answer as for B.

The answer from the Logic jury is 'no' on all three counts. Why would the Army want to take on individuals with pre-existing and identified conditions that make them significantly less suitable for military life?

7. Bits,

I fear this is a WAH. However,just in case this is a serious question, for the sake of the individuals concerned and HM Forces, I will bite.

PAP 2007 gives clear guidance on the appropriate medical grading for enlistment/retention.

Your 3 cases:-

A: Assuming the PTSD diagnosis is correct. What time frame since RTA, Frequency of re-experiencing phenomena, severity of effect etc? These are the questions that a Service Psychiatrist would have to ascertain before allocating an appropriate S grade. It would be a breach of our duty of care to knowingly enlist a traumatised individual without assessing that individuals potential to deal with possible future trauma.

B: Current Treatment for an Anxiety Disorder indicates the individual is Stress Vulnerable- Treatment is a bar to entry for 2 years (and probable Service Psychiatrist assessment if re-apply in 2 years)

C:Current treatment with Anti-Depressants also a bar to enlistment for 2 years (see caveat in B)

These are not new, hence my concern that this is a WAH.

8. From a retention point of veiw

I'm not a medical professional (or a good speller) however i've been serving for 6 years and have been taking prescribed anti-depressants since november last year for ongoing nerve damage and problems sleeping. There has been no mention of me being discharged so this would probably count as a grey area as it would depend on why the anti depressants were prescribed.