Psychological bars to Sandhurst entry.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by AOSBCat1.NoMainBoardYet, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forgive the mong username, I meant 'Briefing' not 'AOSB'. Anyway.

We all know that the army check your medical records before accepting candidates, and that asthma, migranes...etc all bar entry, and that phychological things like self-harm, depressive illness and attempted suicide are all (quite rightly) included in the group, but what about other psych things?

I had a near-fatal mountaineering accident last year, and have suffered some PTSD-like symptoms which have almost completely gone now but which at the time almost cost me a uni module and girlfriend, and which still give me a cold sweat from time to time, and a few dark dreams, and odd emotions, but which are steadily fading.

Do I?

a) Remind myself of the word 'integrity' and go to see a doctor, sort anything that needs sorting, and have it on my paperwork - even if that means killing my chances at Sandhurst entry.

b) Man up, accept that it's mild, and a normal set of responses to that sort of experience, and just carry on through to Sandhurst with an unblemished medical record?

No wah, but ready for incoming.
  2. Well.........I wouldn't list mountaineering in your hobbys and interests.. 8O
  3. Try not to stand on the furniture.
  4. B. definately...
  5. Well I'd love to have an officer who can't be honest....

edited once for sausage fingers
  6. They will never ask you at any stage what is inside your head. Only you know that. Seek private therapy if you need it so its not on your records but keep schtum is my advice. A bit of duff dikeing and you will be as right as rain. Emotional trauma after near death experiences generally wears off but it takes time. Its quite normal.
  7. If you didn't go to your doctors then you can't state that you suffered from PTSD. That being the case you have nothing to declare. If you went to your doctor and it is written up in your records and you were diagnosed with PTSD then you must declare it.

You can't be expected to declare a self-diagnosed issue that received no medical attention I would say. Keep schtum
  8. Much better climbers than me have had much worse accidents!
  9. Definitely aware of this. Hence "PTSD-like symptoms". I'd definitely not rush to get that label for myself.

I just wanted to speed up the fading of these symptoms if I could, which seemed to suggest a doctor. If the four letters on my paperwork are a showstopper though, then I can go without. No problem. Let nature run its course and it'll sort itself out anyway.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
  10. As a general rule there is no need to advertise your deficiencies. Answer honestly but there is no point in offering them negatives.
  11. I think you should post this on the professionally qualified board, as people quiet knowledgable about PTSD hang around there.

Edit: although if you think you might be predisposed towards developing PTSD (ot at least seem to have some difficulty functioning normally after a trauma), do you think joining the army is the best career move for you?
  12. Best advice you will ever get.

And free.
  13. msr

msr LE

Duff diking? Is that spouting pointless drivel on a web forum?

14. @msr: Do you ever say anything sensible? Or do you keep up your long range sniping at anyone and everyone you don't like. Mark you I wouldn't expect an ARRSE mod to have much sense anyway.
  15. A bit of Duff Diking never did me any harm.

The Guards swear by it.

If it's good enough for them it's good enough.