PSU Problems

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by still21inmymind, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My desktop PC is an HP Pavillion with a Bestec ATX 250 12Z PSU. Went to switch on this morning and zilch, nada, only a blinking green light on the rear of the PSU.

I have opened the beast up and given it a good degrot, checked all connections and no joy. I have emailed HP support but as it is well out of warranty do not expect a swift answer.

Has anyone had a similar problem with this model?. I am going to be away for a few days from Sunday, so any repairs will have to wait, in the meantime I look to my fellow ARRSErs for any guidance.

2. http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(3648)300W-P4AMD-PSU-PFC.aspx Thats a tenner, and quite easy too get to.
    Un plug the ATX connector from the motherboard, Unscrew the retaing screw that hold the power supply in and Bin. Fit new PSU in slot (You might have to bodge a few screws) Fit ATX power connector (You might want to inspect the socket on the motherboard for sign of overheating/melting. Fit.
    As simple as that.
    I'm really not going to insult you with boring wrist straps/remover power leads blah blah

3. Its those dam jumpers for the on switch, reset switch, hard drive activity light etc that always gets me. You might want to get hold of your motherboard manual to assist you in getting these right, or write down /draw exactly which ones go where

4. especially when you have sausage fingers and not much room in the bottom right hand corner of the case. I wish they would make a standard universal connector for all cases and motherboards.

5. Well whatever the remedy it will have to wait now, as I'm off for a while.
    So goodnight ARRSErs everywhere and sleep tight.

6. <<Its those dam jumpers for the on switch, reset switch, hard drive activity light etc that always gets me. You might want to get hold of your motherboard manual to assist you in getting these right, or write down /draw exactly which ones go where>>

the easiest way i've found to make this part of the process hassle-free is to use a digital camera and get a snap of them in-situ and then printing a copy off or just use the display on the camera to refer back to.

something like this:

[​IMG]

7. You can check the PSU itself by connecting pin 14-green wire-to any earth wire-black on the ATX connector. Best to have a load on the PSU like the fans and a CD drive or whatever.
    This is 20 pin ATX but the principle holds for the 24 pin;
    [​IMG]

8. daz

daz LE

He’s swapping a ATX PSU out, why the hell would he be touching jumpers, on switch, reset switch etc :?

He’s got to pull out, what, a 20/24pin power, pos three 4 pin Molex and maybe a floppy drive power connector, add in a 4 pin aux on the motherboard and that’s about it. So I cant see why he need to start flapping about taking photos or reaching for the manual.

9. Just read the thread and was thinking exactly the same thing. No need whatsoever to go anywhere near jumpers etc for changing a PSU.

10. if your just swapping the psu you wont need to reconnect the reset power on/reset/ hd/lcd/ etc unless you change tower/motherboard.

11. oops to late was beaten to it

12. Sorry, my bad! came from my last experience of a "repair" for a friend which originally started as a new PSU, and turned into a new case and PSU

13. You may wish to check if the case will accept a 'generic' PSU as some branded PC manufacturers, such as Dell and HP, have bespoke PSU's and often motherboard's.

14. Oh so true. Had enough experience with branded PC's many years ago and have avoided them ever since. Such a pain in the ass to fix / replace knackered parts.

Built my own (which may have cost a little extra than an off the shelf PC) but in the long run I can update / upgrade / replace any component as and when I see fit instead of having to buy a completely new PC because something simple went tits up.

15. Agreed. Some of that PC World tat has non-standard PSU's which means if you have to replace the PSU, the case has to be changed also for a standard one. Then you're into the issue of the front panel connector having one moulded on multiplug for all connections...