PSNI to get PCSOs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Malteser, Nov 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Police could soon be accompanied by civilian officers on Northern Ireland's streets in an attempt to curb low-level crime and anti-social behaviour.

The PSNI plans that uniformed Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) will be introduced following a public consultation on policing issues.

Deputy Chief Constable Paul Leighton said although they would have limited powers, they would still be effective.

He said they were not intended to be a replacement for reserve officers.

"It is envisaged that PCSOs will become part of our Neighbourhood Policing Teams across Northern Ireland.

"They will assist in the delivery of a first-class service to the people of Northern Ireland, thereby helping to make communities safer and reducing fear of crime."

DCC Leighton said prospective PSCOs would be subject to the same vetting procedures as police officers.

"They will be managed by and fully accountable to district commanders - they will work closely with neighbourhood sergeants and constables who will determine their day-to-day deployment," he said.

He was speaking as a delegation of PSCOs from Merseyside and Lancashire Constabularies were in Northern Ireland for a two-day visit.

He said he hoped to gain "a valuable insight into how they are integrated into the police environment and the benefit they bring to local communities".

Such schemes were introduced in England and Wales in late 2000. Earning up to £25,000 a year, PSCOs can issue fixed penalties and can detain people for 30 minutes but have no powers of arrest.

Source: BBC News

What planet are those tw*ts in Whitehall on, they want to put an unarmed uniform carrier wandering around NI. Can see the face court case were a PCSO has sued the Government for not arming them.
  2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Positions were advertised in the Belfast Telegraph some months ago_Old news here I'm afraid but not many applicants...
  3. All they need to do is give the UVF and the Boyos a uniform. Let them police their own areas- officially. A lot more effective than a fat wheezy bloke with a sick note from matron AKA PCSO's. I'd like to see one of them telling the naughty boys down the Springhill Avenue to play nice.
  4. PCSO's are taking over the world. The government loves them, it's policing on the cheap (and nasty).
  5. Waste of space BUT saw one of the new traffic warden replacements on the Falls today ,be a bit of a shock for the westies now they will be shafted like the rest of us :twisted:
  6. Was regailed in the Bar last Thursday evening by the tale of one of the new "parking Assistants" or what ever the heck they're called who had a beautifully printed digital photo of her daughters posted through her letterbox, with the legend QUIT.
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Was that the lot in the Black & Red uniforms?Saw them for the first time today.....Personally,I think they should've been Black & Tan!! :twisted:
  8. I don't understand quite what the point of this exercise is, if they're to have 'strictly limited' powers of arrest - if they don't have a warrant card surely they have only the same powers as any civilian; 'arrestable offence' etc.

And if they're told to do the business in the areas of NI which need it most, I suspect they'll become known as the 'Targets'.
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

They were recruiting for areas such as South Belfast,Finaghy,East Belfast,some rural areas but none in areas like North/West Belfast,Armagh ect.