PSNI Officer baiting a republican- bants

Not watched all of it but I think the Poppy badge on the slide is against the rules.
Not really up to date with the current situation, but if it irritates the Taigs a bit - at least they know we are not going soft.

If you want peace - you can have it ( and it will be fair ).
If you want more conflict - my kids are up for it, as are yours , and the next generation will carry on the scars.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not really up to date with the current situation, but if it irritates the Taigs a bit - at least they know we are not going soft.

If you want peace - you can have it ( and it will be fair ).
If you want more conflict - my kids are up for it, as are yours , and the next generation will carry on the scars.
Brexit will shortly push its way back onto the agenda and an economic border on the Irish Sea will crash on to the airways and get hackles up I’m sure.

Jammy66

War Hero
Nobody think the police officer here was being unproffessional and basically an arse? Would you like to be treated like that if you were stopped by the police?

Seems they were trying to look for trouble.

Nobody think the police officer here was being unproffessional and basically an arse? Would you like to be treated like that if you were stopped by the police?

Not at all. The peeler was courteous, civil, and was giving less grief than he was receiving. If you’re going to gob off, expect a little back. More pertinently however, I’ve a feeling were that you, I or any other random Joe Bloggs there wouldn’t have been half the “banter“ from the cop. Know your audience. I’m making an educated guess here and saying yer man would be an apologist for those who would shoot dead a young journalist. If he’s upset about getting a bit of friendly chat back, fcuk him.

Jammy66

War Hero
Not at all. The peeler was courteous, civil, and was giving less grief than he was receiving. If you’re going to gob off, expect a little back. More pertinently however, I’ve a feeling were that you, I or any other random Joe Bloggs there wouldn’t have been half the “banter“ from the cop. Know your audience. I’m making an educated guess here and saying yer man would be an apologist for those who would shoot dead a young journalist. If he’s upset about getting a bit of friendly chat back, fcuk him.
I get that, but he's meant to be professional and wearing a poppy badge (given it's not near remembrance day) does seem designed to provoke reactions. Rather like a white policman in Brixton wearing a 'OK' hand sign to any black guys he sees.

Do they really need to encourage these kind of underlying tensions in NI?

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs

The only part that falls down is when the cop admits to harassing the guy. The back peddling was a tad cringe.

Apart from that, good drills. No different from a GDA patrol on HERRICK in essence. Disrupt the enemy and dominate the ground. Interestingly the act the cops used to stop and search under the Justice and Security (NI) Act 2007 allow PSNI to search without grounds. They should have that over here too!

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
I get that, but he's meant to be professional and wearing a poppy badge (given it's not near remembrance day) does seem designed to provoke reactions. Rather like a white policman in Brixton wearing a 'OK' hand sign to any black guys he sees.

If we are being picky to quote PSNI code of ethics -

The public expects PSNI offices to act with self-control and tolerance, treating members of the public with respect and courtesy.

Did he fall beneath this standard- probably
Was it good policing- Definitely

The police officer knows his name and where he lives, and how nice his house is. Draw your own conclusions - a DR with form known to the PSNI.

Last edited:

The wearing of a poppy pin to provoke a reaction, while possible, is an assumption on your part. I personally only wear a poppy for a few days in November. I do know quite a few peelers who have one attached somewhere on their uniform year round in remembrance of colleagues or family members who’ve been murdered by republicans. Not strictly adhering to uniform guidelines but hardly offensive to any right minded person.

I do know quite a few peelers who have one attached somewhere on their uniform year round in remembrance of colleagues or family members who’ve been murdered by republicans.
Is it only the colleagues murdered by republicans they honour?

Or do the first and last RUC officers in Northern Ireland murdered by terrorists not count in their book? Victor Arbuckle and Frank O"Reilly, both murdered by fine upstanding, protestant, true-blue and no doubt poppy-wearing, loyalists?

Whatever, the salient points are:

a) the poppy is a symbol that represents a charity, a very honourable one with a proud history, dedicated to looking after the welfare of ex-servicemen. The ginger cop looks too young to be an ex-serviceman and anyway he is a member of a civilian police service which has no connection with the British armed forces,

b) it is customary to wear that symbol in the first week of November, it is odd to wear it in the middle of August, and especially odd to wear it on one's shoulder

and c) which relates to (a) the poppy is a neutral symbol of a charity, it is not some sort of sectarian totem used to rub in the noses of fellow citizens whose politics you happen not to agree with, and should certainly not be worn as such by a servant of the state.

Wear your poppy correctly and with dignity at the proper time of the year, don't debase a proud symbol just because you think it will get a rise out of the Fenians.