PSNI Chief blames IRA for £22m bank raid

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by error_unknown, Jan 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We can however be confident that Mr Adams will pass on to investigators any information about this crime which comes to his attention through his extensive contacts within the local community.
  2. But how on earth has anyone suggested the involvement of "his party"

There is an allegation that the IRA were involved - and we all know very well indeed that the IRA have no connections whatsoever with Sinn Fein, since Gerry has so eloquently reminded us over the years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  3. Everyone with any sense knew from the beginning the IRA were involved.
  4. So nows its the IRA will they get away with it, cause our great goverment (We dont deal with Terriorist's unless they are called Adams) dosn't want to rock the boat?????

You know what If you wanted to get away with any crime in the UK, just claim you are a member of a NI Terriorist Group??? :)
  6. And yet you still haven't solved the case. Slacker. :wink:
  7. We are talking about TBLiar and his cronies, who want peace in NI at all costs :evil: so they can stake their place in history :roll:

fecking w'ankers the lot of them :evil:
  8. Place in History.

I know Tone's place in mystery.
    Just watched Bruin going on about Sub Saharan African debt, he's losing it. He should stick to UK economy, something eles hes losing.
  9. Sorry manchestercop point taken - I stand corrected
  10. So it rather looks like Gerry, Martin and the Army Council have secured a 'nice' pension a piece, eh?

So with activities (for that read 'window-dressing') including, *ahem*, 'decommissioning' (so some vintage 1950s Chinese SKSs got concreted! WhooHooo!) and keeping the good Canadian General busy, Sinn Fein/IRA managed to convince the good people of the world that they were doing their bit for peace...ahhhhhh. Bless....

When in reality....

Their US-donated money from NorAid and the 'Oirish' American bretheren had dried-up ever since the 'FARC Four' incident and the 9/11 thing put ALL suspected terrorists (and Blair having a word in Bush's ear helped - as Clinton never listened) beyond the pale at the White House.

So, faced with a serious shortage of funds (there's only so much you can make from selling to and then beating the bejesus out of local druggies and loan-sharking in the Province), the Boyos in the Army Council needed to replenish said funds!

Now how to do that......?

*cough* BANK JOB! *cough*

So, not only have the boys secured a nice nest-egg for their dotage, but they can now re-arm (with state of the art kit, btw) whenever they fancy and still make it look - to Blair and Good General J de C - like they're keeping up their 'promise' to decommission.

Not a bad wee plan. Have a wee swaatch at this coverage:

Police chief to blame IRA for £22m bank raid
    By Thomas Harding, Ireland Correspondent
    (Filed: 07/01/2005)

The Chief Constable of Northern Ireland is expected to blame the IRA today for a £22 million bank robbery, throwing Ulster's political process into turmoil.

Tony Blair has been briefed that Hugh Orde will announce that the Provisionals carried out the audacious raid on Dec 20. It will be a serious setback to the Prime Minister's hopes of finding a lasting political settlement in the province.

Hugh Orde, Chief Constable of N Ireland

The small amount of trust built up in recent months between republicans and Ian Paisley's Democratic Unionists is expected to evaporate.

The chances of power sharing between the DUP and Sinn Fein before and beyond the general election expected in May will be remote.

Continued IRA activity has constantly undermined the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

In the past three years the Provisionals have caused serious damage to trust-building between the communities after being accused of allegedly training terrorists in Colombia, alleged espionage at Stormont and breaking into Special Branch headquarters at Castlereagh.

Mr Orde, who has been criticised for delaying comment on the robbery, will brief members of the Policing Board prior to a press conference in Belfast at midday.

Scores of raids have been carried out in republican areas of west Belfast, and both the IRA's head of intelligence and the Belfast brigade's intelligence chief have been interviewed though there have been no arrests.

The IRA has issued statements denying any role in the robbery. Sinn Fein, its political wing, has also rejected any IRA involvement.

Gerry Adams, the Sinn Fein president, yesterday attempted to blame security service elements for linking the IRA with the robbery. He alleged that they were intent on wrecking the Good Friday Agreement. "The IRA has said it wasn't involved. I believe that to be the case," he said.

Police have still to find the specially adapted van used to transport the money during the robbery, which involved at least 20 men.

Sir Desmond Rea, the Policing Board chairman, and Denis Bradley, his deputy, will question Mr Orde and Assistant Chief Constable Sam Kinkaid, who is leading the inquiry, All are acutely aware of the need to restore confidence in the police service's ability to catch the robbers.
  11. Am I alone in thinking Shuggie Orde bears a marked resemblance to C. Montogomery Burns, the erstwhile operator of Springfield Nuclear?

Thing is, unless the "Army Council" issue a statement saying "It's a fair cop" one section of the community here will cry "foul", equally unless 25 men called William from the Shankill go down for it another section will claim it was PIRA. (On balance I believe that PIRA are the only group capable of this level of activity in N.I).

The manufactured devolved political process in N.I. is such that if a significant section of the community is disaffected the Assembly is unworkable...

S'all a lot of bollards.
  12. Why is it difficult to believe that the IRA are criminals?
    By Jenny McCartney
    (Filed: 09/01/2005)

Hugh Orde, the Chief Constable of Northern Ireland, was gracious enough to confirm officially last week what everyone else had assumed for ages: that the IRA was responsible for the £26 million raid on the Northern Bank shortly before Christmas.

Sinn Fein, none the less, felt obliged to put on its habitual panto of manufactured outrage and heavily-injured feelings. Howls of "Oh no we didn't!" filled the air, as Martin McGuinness told Radio 4's Today programme that it was all a fit-up by the "securocrats", and Gerry Adams said rather pompously – as though talking about some distant cousins to whom he hadn't spoken for a decade or so now – "The IRA has said that it wasn't involved. I believe that to be the case."

In fact, the notion that official forces are desperate to pin the job on a blinking, innocent IRA is so preposterous that even ordinary republicans – quietly proud that their boys pulled off the big one – merely regard it as a necessary bit of face-saving bluster. The truth is the very opposite. The British and Irish authorities, "securocrats" included, were desperate for the bank robbers to be anyone but the IRA, even as their sinking hearts told them that no other group could command the level of organisation required for the job.

The British Government could see the prospect of any future political deal between Sinn Fein and Ian Paisley's Democratic Unionists disappearing along with those bloated Northern Bank moneybags. The Irish government was already in the thick of a national row regarding Bertie Ahern's proposal to release the IRA killers of Garda Gerry McCabe, who was murdered during a bungled IRA theft in Adare, County Limerick in 1996: the last thing it needed was the revelation that another bunch of IRA men had just carried out a heist to rival the Brinks Mat robbery.

Yet what bemuses me is why so many journalists and broadcasters – with the exception of my Sunday Telegraph colleague Kevin Myers, who named the IRA in these pages as the culprits some weeks before Mr Orde did – treated the IRA's initial dismissal of the charge with such trembling, kid-gloved respect.

For did the IRA not also at first wholly deny any involvement in the murder of Garda McCabe? It was only later, after the conviction of four men for the killing, that the IRA claimed them for its own: their early release is now a querulous Sinn Fein demand.

Sinn Fein, too, at first denied all knowledge of the three men arrested in Colombia on suspicion of training up Farc paramilitaries, despite the unfortunate coincidence that two had IRA convictions and the third was Sinn Fein's official representative in Cuba. Now, however, it is championing a "Bring Them Home" campaign, to ensure a safe return to their native Ireland.

A complicated culture of double-think and denial – fostered by the deliberate ambiguities of the "peace process" – has taken root in both Northern Ireland and the Republic. It manifests itself in the notion that anyone who is unhelpful enough to expose the IRA's criminality is somehow to blame for the disastrous effect which that same criminality has upon the political process. This is a bit like arguing that the first person who points out that a well is polluted should be held responsible for any ensuing outbreaks of typhoid.

When Mr Orde made his statement last week, it was immediately suggested that this inconvenient revelation would damage the "peace process". He protested that any such damage was a matter for the politicians, but that "the amount of interest in who did it" was interfering with the investigation, and thus had to be addressed.

I think it is quite right, however, for us all to be extremely interested in who carried out a £26 million bank robbery, particularly if those robbers are inextricably linked to prominent and powerful politicians. Indeed, I would argue that we need to be a great deal more interested, because the IRA is steadily increasing its already enormous involvement in organised crime, apparently unhindered by the authorities.

In May last year, the IRA robbed a supermarket in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland, during which it made off with £1 million worth of tobacco, alcohol and electrical goods. By December, it had expanded its formidable appetites to take in the £26 million bank heist. In between, it has been regularly collecting unimaginable amounts of revenue from smuggling, extortion, and international fraud.

What is this vast accumulation of money being used for? Certainly, some of it is going towards the personal enrichment of IRA families, and a substantial amount will no doubt find its way into Sinn Fein's election campaign coffers. More worrying is the possibility that – at some unspecified point down the line – the present-day IRA leaders might pass on a substantial "war chest" to more restless successors.

The Pollyannas in the press who suggested recently that the Northern Bank robbery was the IRA's "last big one" – designed to give all the IRA volunteers a golden handshake before they hang up their balaclavas for the last time – have been sedated by too many picturesque Hollywood heist films. There's money to be made here, and the IRA has serious ambitions to make a lot more. If it is not checked, and soon, the result will be two heavily criminalised, compromised states crammed into one corrupt little island.

In the meantime – since the beleaguered Northern Bank is recalling all its sterling notes – I'm off to dig out the ones I brought back from my last visit to Belfast. It was hard enough to persuade suspicious English shopkeepers to accept them in the past. What do you reckon my chances are now?

13. nationalist, loyalist, Seventh Day Adventist :D ,....who cares? I prefer to regard all terrorists in monochrome. It's all the same to me whether they are wrapped in the Tricolour or the Union Jack. Be wary of making distinctions between these scum - knee-capping, extortion, drug-running, bank robbery...these are all gradients on the terrorist scale.
  14. Gallowglass i agree and it would be rather stupid of me to not, well if i didnt mind having a 'loyalist' burn my effergie (spelt?) that is. First RUC officer killed in 1969 was killed by 'loyalists' - loyal to the crown and Britain? They make me sick.

Edit for spelling