Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSAO

Not saying it is the case in this instance, however, my experience leads me to believe that Reserve OCs et al are keen to reap the rewards of command but not so keen on executing responsibilities..
Speaking as a soon to be (with any luck anyway) reserve OC, that hasn't been my experience, and I hope won't be the experience of my soldiers if/when I take command.

Yes, reservists need to lean on the regulars and FTRS personnel under command to get stuff done, but as I do now, I ask the PSAO to pass command stuff through, with advice (my PSAO has a lot of experience), but I make the decision, and I tell people bad news when needed.

Obviously there is more to being an OC, but its late and I have a 7 month old to look after when he wakes up at silly o'clock tomorrow morning...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Unlikely to be a regular CO in a reserve unit (stand fast the UOTC). Reserve preference means reservists are now far more likely to command reserve units.
Right.....

I refer you to a post of mine elsewhere on this site, this was how it was in the 90s (in my Bde anyway)...

TA Regs (no idea what they are called now) were very clear - TA Bns are to be commanded by TA Lt Cols wherever they are suitably 'recommended, qualified and available'.

When I briefed my (Irish Guards) Bde Comd on this he said: 'DCOS - I want no TA COs in my Brigade, understand?'

I understood and none were recommended.

I'm not saying it was right, but I don't think anybody was really disadvantaged by that, certainly not TA soldiers and certainly not the Army.

Dunno tbh.. But from what my mate was telling me about the bloke he's sticking his nose into stuff he's got no experience or knowledge of and is massively pissing people off. He's an ex RSM of a jock infantry unit who is now an LE FTRS Captain.

I've got the impression he still thinks he's the RSM.

One of my ex-bosses went the admin officer FTRS route with a commission. He kept throwing his hat in for a regular type QM commission, but previous detected crimes prevented it happening. He had a bit of a downer about it for a good while, but apparently grew into it and eventually accepted the fact he was still wearing a uniform every day and had some pips on his shoulder.

Maybe this throbber is the same: Detected crime and no "proper" commission and the fact that he still has his RSM head on his shoulders. He may have nothing to do with man management/discipline per se, but someone rifting you for haircuts, boots, hands in pockets, no creases, etc can get pretty old, pretty quickly with the troops.

One of my ex-bosses went the admin officer FTRS route with a commission. He kept throwing his hat in for a regular type QM commission, but previous detected crimes prevented it happening. He had a bit of a downer about it for a good while, but apparently grew into it and eventually accepted the fact he was still wearing a uniform every day and had some pips on his shoulder.

Maybe this throbber is the same: Detected crime and no "proper" commission and the fact that he still has his RSM head on his shoulders. He may have nothing to do with man management/discipline per se, but someone rifting you for haircuts, boots, hands in pockets, no creases, etc can get pretty old, pretty quickly with the troops.
I've no dog in the fight myself, I left the TA donkeys years ago. But the group of lads that I know are seriously unhappy with the guy. Personally, I think he's a square peg in a round hole.
An Infantryman running Admin etc for an Engineer unit. Does he even understand what Sappers do?

The_Duke

LE
I've no dog in the fight myself, I left the TA donkeys years ago. But the group of lads that I know are seriously unhappy with the guy. Personally, I think he's a square peg in a round hole.
An Infantryman running Admin etc for an Engineer unit. Does he even understand what Sappers do?
Let’s be honest. He does pay, bar funds and stocks etc. He doesn’t have to be an engineering expert - that is for the PSIs.

I benefitted from PSAOs who were absolute legends from my own Regiment. They really added value. However, their basic role could have been done by pretty much anyone.

Let’s be honest. He does pay, bar funds and stocks etc. He doesn’t have to be an engineering expert - that is for the PSIs.

I benefitted from PSAOs who were absolute legends from my own Regiment. They really added value. However, their basic role could have been done by pretty much anyone.

Many PSAOs do not see their role as being confined to these duties. They see themselves more as the Mon to Fri OC, and also at the weekend, when the OC does not attend. Most AR units have very few AR officers these days (for all sorts of good reasons), so most of the time the PSAO is the sole Officer in camp. The AR OC often appreciates and relies on the PSAO doing a lot more than his job description. Most of the time this all works well until you get a throbber in post.

The_Duke

LE
Many PSAOs do not see their role as being confined to these duties. They see themselves more as the Mon to Fri OC, and also at the weekend, when the OC does not attend. Most AR units have very few AR officers these days (for all sorts of good reasons), so most of the time the PSAO is the sole Officer in camp. The AR OC often appreciates and relies on the PSAO doing a lot more than his job description. Most of the time this all works well until you get a throbber in post.
All agreed - but he won’t be doing a bridge build/ Coy attack/Sqn task during a weekend.

They have the freedom to manoeuvre that the CO and OCs are willing to grant them. Nothing more, nothing less - outside of the tasks that are mandated within their role.

Granted. I had one of those legends, he was so good they actually posted him down country to RHQ and promoted him to Major. Yes, he was effectively the Monday to Friday OC, ran the place, moved people around, found courses, was the point of contact for all the regular units we had dealings with, and always had an open door should it be needed. But, he always deferred to the OC, and clearly drew the line of his own authority in the sand.

I still go with what I wrote earlier; that this man has not forgotten he was an RSM and is still mentally carrying his pace stick if people are seriously unhappy with him.

Last edited:
Right.....

I refer you to a post of mine elsewhere on this site, this was how it was in the 90s (in my Bde anyway)...

TA Regs (no idea what they are called now) were very clear - TA Bns are to be commanded by TA Lt Cols wherever they are suitably 'recommended, qualified and available'.

When I briefed my (Irish Guards) Bde Comd on this he said: 'DCOS - I want no TA COs in my Brigade, understand?'

I understood and none were recommended.

I'm not saying it was right, but I don't think anybody was really disadvantaged by that, certainly not TA soldiers and certainly not the Army.
Thankfully thinks have changed.

Unlikely to be a regular CO in a reserve unit (stand fast the UOTC). Reserve preference means reservists are now far more likely to command reserve units.

Right.....

You are probably both correct, but in different era's.

IME, Bubbles is correct about the 90's

CO, Training Major and RSM were Regulars.

PSAO - Ex Regs

NRPS CQMS - Ex Regs

You are probably both correct, but in different era's.

IME, Bubbles is correct about the 90's

CO, Training Major and RSM were Regulars.

PSAO - Ex Regs

NRPS CQMS - Ex Regs
And indeed into the 2000s. Really changed around 2010 ish that I noticed as a lowly troopie

Speaking as a soon to be (with any luck anyway) reserve OC, that hasn't been my experience, and I hope won't be the experience of my soldiers if/when I take command.

Yes, reservists need to lean on the regulars and FTRS personnel under command to get stuff done, but as I do now, I ask the PSAO to pass command stuff through, with advice (my PSAO has a lot of experience), but I make the decision, and I tell people bad news when needed.

Obviously there is more to being an OC, but its late and I have a 7 month old to look after when he wakes up at silly o'clock tomorrow morning...
Again, can only speak about my experience but having been a PSI with no PSAO, RSUSO etc. I witnessed some pretty shocking examples of OCs abrogating their responsibilities when the brown and smelly hit the fan and the Regular Unit/PSI had to clean up but were front and centre at the smallest opportunity to claim credit for work done by everyone but themselves.

I have also seen a Reserve OC demand full control of running and planning an ADE, with 12 months lead up time only to find out at the start of the exercise that he had made zero plans on the BCS/STA phase. Further to this he had decided in his infinite wisdom to schedule a random airport firefighting jolly for his lads during the SFS phase. This little nugget of information was not disclosed to anyone until the night before..

As a wise man once said: you get the reserve you deserve.

Again, can only speak about my experience but having been a PSI with no PSAO, RSUSO etc. I witnessed some pretty shocking examples of OCs abrogating their responsibilities when the brown and smelly hit the fan and the Regular Unit/PSI had to clean up but were front and centre at the smallest opportunity to claim credit for work done by everyone but themselves.

I have also seen a Reserve OC demand full control of running and planning an ADE, with 12 months lead up time only to find out at the start of the exercise that he had made zero plans on the BCS/STA phase. Further to this he had decided in his infinite wisdom to schedule a random airport firefighting jolly for his lads during the SFS phase. This little nugget of information was not disclosed to anyone until the night before..
Fair enough, experience will differ unit to unit, corps to corpa and person to person. As a PSI, unless you extended or did multiple tours, you must only have seen 2 OCs then?

I've had (counts in head) 10. Only one would I describe as "hard work" from the subordinates point of view (not in terms of holding people to account and the standard but in terms of not passing information or not delegating when he should have done in order to deliver).

As ever, your experience may vary.

Latest Threads