PS3 replacement time

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

My PS3 (40GB fatboy model) which I've had since launch week has finally given up the ghost. I blasted a hairdryer in the rear vent for twenty minutes which appears to have given me just enough time to refresh my latest backups, but with the anticipated PS4 release barely a year away it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new console anyway.

I've had a scan around the webs and PC World are offering a 160GB Slim model for barely £100 online. Unfortunately they've sold out everywhere within 100 miles. Does anyone else know of any particularly interesting deals on the consoles? I literally just need something to keep me in AC3 and BluRays until the 4 comes out, and bearing in mind I've put up with my old one for over five years I've no real need for something top-end. The fact a slim-line is quieter and doesn't nail my 'leccy bill is simply a bonus.

I'd rather not spend more than £150, I don't like those stupid 12GB models (unless there's a legitimate HDD upgrade route that falls in budget - I'm not scared of doing the work myself) and I don't particularly want another fat model. This is why the 160GB appeals, but I'm not too precious.

Any hints?
  2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Well given you lot were singularly useless I thought I'd drop some feedback in here for anyone who ends up in the same situation.

In the end I got a 500GB super-slimline model from for £200 complete with FIFA13 and a Dualshock3 pad (the pad is already included with the console but the game was in as a bundle deal). I already had FIFA so shifted that to a mate for £30, and the old machine went on eBay for £35. That means overall expenditure of £135 on a brand new console, and the pad is worth £40 in its own right.

If I could apply that level of financial skill to my Defence acquisition job I might actually one day make a decent project manager...
  3. It's not that at all, we just couldn't give a ****...
    • Like Like x 1