PS3 (PSP)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by polar, Jan 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand the PS3 will be able stream video to a PSP but does anyone know how it will link to other PC's within the home network.

I'm currently using TVersity as a multimedia server and intend to move over this role to the PS3 but I wouldn't be suprised if its not that suitable or this role (I see TVeristy works with the XBox 360 and may be a better purchase)

2. So the PS3 has come out for sale in the UK today, has anyone been that keen to buy it today or know someone who's bought/used it?
    Despite the standard description Sony's given to the wonderful uses the PS3 has, I am keen to see or hear a review describing the on-screen differences (if any) between this machine and the PS2. Personally I'm not convinced; I'm content with DVDs so far than using blu-ray discs and that price is not exactly luring. Still, if I'm curious enough, might just wait a few months to get it when the price is down to £200 :cool:

Apologies for jumping thread Polar, it was more or less the same title for my post. :winkrazz:

3. X360 (£270) + XBox HD DVD player (£120) is the way ahead.

4. It doesn't even play all the PS2 games :shakefist: Link

5. You can get the Xbox 360 and HD DVD package for about £300 in places. I've had a 360 since launch and I got a HD-DVD drive months ago as well. Most of the games for the PS3 are all available on the XBox 360 and the online live service is cracking.

The HD-DVDs look fantastic on my 50 inch plasma too, so I am not forking out £425 for the PS3, before you even get a game to play :thumbdown: It has nothing to offer over and above what the 360 does. Although BlueRay seems to produce a better variety of movies, you can get loads of HD-DVDs from movietyme in the states.

Sony have fcuked up IMO, they were too slow to get this onto the uk market and uncle Bill has taken advantage

6. As a games machine I don't think it compares to its rivals (especially for price).

Problems. It really needs a wired connection not wireless, if you go for wireless only you loose the PSP connectivity and the download speeds are much poorer.

PSP connectivity, not that good, I expected to be able to browse the PS3 without getting PS3 into a special mode. It only works with videos and MP3. You can't load a game into the PS3 (e.g. PS2 or PS1) and then play it on the PSP!!!! I think its been built in to prevent this (after all it can stream video isn't a game just video????).

So don't buy PS3 for PSP compatibilty, maybe a factor for PS1 or PS2 games. If you want media on a PSP use TVerisity on a PC with wireless connection.

Games seem a lot better quality on normal TV (which you would expect) not a good selection at the mo.

Its not really a multimedia server more a multimedia client (I would liken it to a family sized grown up PSP). Again TVersity makes the PS3 more usefull, its brought recorded/downlaoded TV out of the geek room into the living room.

Would I recomend it, well it was on solid all weekend (but NOT AS A GAMES MACHINE). I feel this PS will last a lot longer than the last one but as what I don't know....

I'm in the market for a cheap internet/games/multimedia device for the kitchen/car?? PS2, wireless/network card and LCD front -- maybe thats the future.