PS3 HDD swap

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 1_reeper, Sep 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. hopefully getting another PS3 due to the death of old one. Am i right in thinking that i should be able to swap the HDD's over and all data,game saves and profile be able to work on the new one ?

2. well i'd like to assume that they wouldn't do anything daft like change the firmware or codecs or anything.... but it is sony so be prepared for it not to work.

3. I wouldn't hold my breath, i sent mine back to be repaired and they sent it back with a blank hard drive.

Since then though i've put in a 250gb HDD myself, it's very easy if you want the space to store smut and music

4. was that an easy thing to do ? also transferring all the data on to the new hard drive

5. Not sure, I swopped my drive to a 120GB that I'd taken from my laptop. Wasn't too worried about holding on to my saves. Formatted it and the thing that surprised me was it still had a lot of info that I thought would have been lost. Network log-ins etc.

6. Can check on Monday for the official customer services answer, but the process of replacing the HDD including backup of all your cleg.

Anyhow... momentary googling gives this :- which is probably better written than anything Sony official docs would provide.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html