PRR and BOWMAN on e-bay. Legal?

What usually happens is special branch will buy them, request an address to send the cheque to, then pay them a visit to find out if it is a seviceman who is selling them and/or where the civilian got them from.

Sounds about right, but we're not the only end user of PRRs of that type I know for a fact that the USMC have them as well.

My understanding the headsets are commercially available some weird kit fetish site I browsed had a long thread on attaching prr headsets to comercial radios for the "authentic look".Guess some radios might be on the market everything else is.Either its genuine surplus or a chat with the mps is in order.Bit annoying as my unit only just got them .

Fallschirmjager said:
The headsets aren't a problem, it's the radios themselves that the authorities try to keep out of civilian hands.

Why? In case the Great British Public discover BOWMANS limitations and request their money back?

Its just prr not the fable bowman system itself though .Still allowing comms gear on the open market seems dodgy to me wonder where it came from ?Particulary as my little jaunt to the desert we never had enough to go round .

PRR (PRC343) arnt Bowman radios, they were bought under the Bowman umbrella pretty much as a PR stunt to be seen to be getting Bowman into service on time.

They filled a capability gap and worked well but they are not Bowman radios.

armchair_jihad said:
Why? In case the Great British Public discover BOWMANS limitations and request their money back?
Bowman is an excellent piece of equipment. I once reached the dizzy distance of 7k's in Afghan with it! I've heard it works well in this country though, so should we ever have another civil war the royalists will be okay! :)

Fallschirmjager said:
What usually happens is special branch will buy them, request an address to send the cheque to, then pay them a visit to find out if it is a seviceman who is selling them and/or where the civilian got them from.
what's the weather like on your planet? :)

Fallschirmjager said:
Nearly right FSG - GHQ have a bod who monitors ebay, buying all bowman kit.

CRMCR - You really are a fucking chopper. Your PERSEC is shite too SSgt. Bigheaded cunt.

threaders_vm said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Nearly right FSG - GHQ have a bod who monitors ebay, buying all bowman kit.

CRMCR - You really are a fucking chopper. Your PERSEC is shite too SSgt. Bigheaded cunt.
tvm - i allowed them to print my name, because i am not concerned about people on arrse knowing my real identity. i never write anything i wouldn't be prepared to back up in person, and have never posted anything i would shy away from acknowledging. go dredge through a few thousand posts if you want to check. i always post as if everyone knows my real identity (which dozens, if not hundreds do). but thanks for the feedback :)

fsj - perhaps i was a little sarcastic with you. but special branch deal with terrorism and subversion, not buying stolen kit on ebay. you might be amazed how little is done about stolen kit etc on ebay. just ask the RMP how difficult it is to deal with.

If it is stolen it is surely a police matter.

The only problem with the PRR is that if it is sold in working condition, then it is illegal for the owner (from eBay not the MoD) transmitting on the frequencies it covers as they do not hold a licence/pay for the priveledge of using said freq.

There has been various people that have variously claimed to be from Special Branch, MI5, GCHQ etc who claim to buy back kit. It is true that they do monitor ebay (and this site), but it is only partially true to say that they buy all the military kit on there.

Although the story that they do (and prosecute the sellers) is put about to ward of potentially sellers of military kit. In any event you can purchase most things military direct from the manufacturers, secure radios included - which can be picked from ebay for about 150 quid a pair.

"Current issue British Army PRR radio. Personal radio complete with its headset and mike plus DPM pouch holder. Made by ‘Salina Comms’ and in VGC. Also a push button device with strap which is possibly part of the set"

Not being sold by a trained user then...

Must be stolen. B#stard.