Provident Personal Finance ad

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Sixty, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Hmm, not sure the best way to put this without sounding all nanny-state about it but is carrying ads for loans with an APR of 182.6% really good for the site's image?

I appreciate that the adverts pay for the site and that if people are looking for very (very!) expensive finance they can find it but I do think there are some types of ads that are slightly beyond the pale.

It rather makes a mockery of MDN's (and others) good work in helping people who have found themselves in trouble through debt too.

Just my thoughts and I do see the counter-point that we're all grown-ups here and also that ads are neccessary.

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'll keep an eye out for it. If it's an ad served by Google then we can block it, but we can't block specific ads from another feed, adjug. We're quite careful of who we advertise - a high interest loan company targeting the forces was turned down flat a few months ago.

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Yes, that's why I raised it - I remember you saying quite some time ago that it's not the sort of thing you would want to carry.

Thanks boss.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Unfortunately this one is adjug. I've tried to block financial companies on there completely as it upsets Forces Financial. I'll write to them as it is obviously not working.

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

EMail written:

Hi, I place your ads on the Army Rumour Service and have selected most ad categories except financial. Unfortunately I am still getting financial ads, and have had complaints about one (providentpersonalcredit.com - not the sort of company we want to advertise to soldiers with loan rates of 184%).

Is there any way I can block advertisers or categories? If this is not an option could you please block providentpersonalcredit.com from advertising with us.

Thanks for your help.