Prove your 21, Sonny..

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by in_the_cheapseats, Mar 28, 2008.

?
  1. fcuking mother state - rules say 18 and so it should stay

53.8%
  2. More controlled drinking environment for the juniors should be a good thing

46.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I found this on the BBC Scotland bit. With the amount of hassle that was happening on an all too regular occurance, all the towns' booze retailers signed up to a police scheme to only sell drink to over 21s.

The link is Here

What surprised me is that that the scheme has already been proven so successful in Cleveland (right nice area 8O ) that it has been permanantly adopted. Anyone in that area who can verify this?

Personally I think it is a good idea (but I will admit it has been a few years since I was that age and so merrily expect flack for saying so :D ). Note that pubs don't fall under the rules so with a bit of luck those that will continue drinking will do so in a slightly more regulated environment.

This does leave the door open for someone - some junior PM in waiting to make his/her name on, no doubt - to turn around and propose US style rules of over 21s only as a nation wide policy - something I'd be more than a bit leery to suppport.

As an after thought, I do find it all a bit of a joke considering this Government's policies for 24 hr drinking. Not really proving to be a workable policy, is it?

2. Don't under 21s regularly die in the US due to drinking and driving. If the police in America cannot police such a law, I would suggest finding other ways of changing any perceived binge drinking

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Slippery slope. Prohibition is always a bad thing. Much of the US drug problems in college is related to the no booze before 21 rule. Blow is easier to get than booze.

Too much Nanny statism.

4. I knew that they'd been running this Challenge 21 scheme where from what I understand if you look under 21 they'll ask you to prover that your over 18 or refuse the sale but not even selling to under 21s? That's new.

5. Coincidentally, there are discussions in the USA to lower the legal drinking age to 18 - in some states it would be for military personnel only!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-20-drinkingage_N.htm

I wonder if it would improve recruitment figures? :)

6. Anyone that suggests that a 'New' law is the answer, clearly hasn't understood the problem.

I give you the Handgun Ban, The Dangerous Dogs Act and the ASBO.

7. That could be funny, Anyone fancy booking the former Wicked Witch of No.10 on this one? Clear breach of an 18 years old's legal right to go into a pub and buy beer.....!

8. Right so you can work all week, pay Taxes, get Married, vote or Die in your Countries service but you can't have a pint. Sniff glue Lads you can buy that at 18.

9. Thats a move in the wrong direction imo.

European countries don't have as bad a problem and they can drink at 16. I think it's to do with what jarrod was saying, if you're trusted with it and made familiar with it, it won't be a forbidden fruit so you're less likely to overdo it.

10. in_the_cheapseats

So in other words, government policy in trying to make the UK conform to EU drinking regimes is right and we should all grow up?

11. No, using tried and tested methods to solve the same problem?

But I agree, the way spetics do things will always trump the mainland europe does things. Hang on. . .

12. Prove you're 21? Surely the classic "What colour's the boat house at Hereford?" should suffice?

13. in_the_cheapseats

And the relevance of this little bit of info to the nation is what? :roll:

14. Sorry to lower the tone but that cracked me up!

15. Is this what you were thinking of?

Telegraph report