PROUD TO BE A BRITISH SOLDIER?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Xenophon, Jul 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’m not much given to navel contemplation but I have been home an hour after a lengthy and very alcoholic farewell to a colleague. Semi-comatose on the sofa listening to Neil Young Rockin’ In The Free World I was thinking why on earth am I still in the Army. I then remembered a TV news item I saw a long time ago. It must have been in the late 1980s and it was from Belfast. A camera crew were part of the entourage following one of the Kennedy clan while he was doing a touch of electioneering in the ‘old country’. Whether by accident or design they drive into a VCP manned by some lads from 1 DWR who were based in Palace Bks at the time. Of course this was manna from heaven for whichever Kennedy it was. Out he gets, followed closely by the camera crew, and starts to berate the VCP commander in the reasonable way only a politician can when he is trying to make a point. The lad on the receiving end was probably a young officer or perhaps a savvy SNCO aware of the potential media poo trap so stood there just taking the sh1t being spouted by the American. Kennedy’s closing remarks were something like ‘Why you are here? Why don’t you go home to your own country?’ This was too much for the VCP commander’s cover man. This burly son of Yorkshire with a face only a mother could love stuck it in Kennedy’s face and said ‘This IS our country.’

There are plenty of lads like that still around and I suppose that’s why I’m still in.

My wife says I have to go to bed now :)

2. At 1718?? ...cant you stay up bit longer?

PROUD TO have BEEN A BRITISH SOLDIER? YES

3. Still barely alive suffering from an hangover that would have killed a civvy. Apologies for starting this thread it seemed like a good idea at the time. :oops:

4. It was a very good effort (I manage to make my typing slur when I'm pished... :oops: :D) AND a valid topic...

5. Dozy - I suspect you are anything but - I have to confess my missus tidied it up after she put me to bed. The way I remember leaving it, it might have been typed by a dyslexic with the IQ of a moron.

6. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

I think your wife is very erudite! :wink:

I also think you're bang on the money.