Proud Dad 2

She had her first rotten day today. She dropped in on us unannounced which is unusual and said she was on her way to buy a load of colouring in stuff, also very odd.

Turned out she‘d been called to a child wandering around with no shoes on in town. Turns out this 7 year old lass had been clouted by her “father” and thrown out into the freezing rain. She was completely oblivious and reasonably happy which suggests this is her normal expectation of life.

They took her in and she takes her soaking socks off and puts them over the radiator further suggesting this is a kid used to fending for herself.

Waiting for all the Social Services stuff to happen, Daughter was assigned Baby Sitting Duty and ended up emptying an old pencil case she had in her car to find pens etc to keep the kid entertained. That’s why daughter was off to buy a ruck load of gear for kids to go in a box in the station. There will be a next time.

The kid is destined for care and Daughter was very down. Nobody really thinks going into care is real progress but hopes are high for fostering etc.

So, why write this? Someone in one of the two threads I started on asking for advice for my daughter said that ”on the shit days remember that you have made someone’s shit life just a bit less shit”. Sitting with a kid who’d never had anyone take any interest in her drawing and colouring was just that and I reminded my daughter of it.

I can’t find the quote so whoever gave that bit of advice, thanks, she felt much better on reflecting on that.

Its reading the above that makes you wish for a society where having a kid should be licenced.

Fair play to Toastie Minor for brigthening someones day if only for a while

Its reading the above that makes you wish for a society where having a kid should be licenced.

Fair play to Toastie Minor for brigthening someones day if only for a while
It’s been a real eye opener for us as adults who thought they had a reasonable grip on the world. Turns out, we haven’t got a clue.

Naturally enough, we as her parents are fascinated by her job and talk about her experiences. Bearing in mind her beat is in a small Cheshire town that many probably haven’t heard of, with a good deal of rural area surrounding and generally affluent, the shit that goes down every, single, day is just staggering.

There’s a whole subset of society going on down there that even the many relevant threads on Arrse don‘t begin to uncover, probably because it’s largely unreported.

I‘ve long held the view that the only people in this country that are policed are those that consent to be policed. The rest get policed if they’re dumb enough to get caught and even then, the judicial system offers little deterrent assuming it gets past the CPS. The political interference that allows these people to operate largely unhindered by the forces of law and order is a national disgrace. The police are blindfolded, hog tied and almost wholly unable to be anything other than reactive as a result.

Nothing I’ve learned in the last month or two since she took to the streets has changed that view. I knew there was fuckwittery and criminality out there and even pure evil but I’d no idea of the depth and spread of it. Those that insulate us from that need our earnest respect and support. My loathing of those who seek to undermine that at the highest levels, yes, you, Abbott, Butler and all the rest just notched up a very great deal

Snip

I can’t find the quote so whoever gave that bit of advice, thanks, she felt much better on reflecting on that.
@LanceBombardEars, was your man who passed on the sage advice.
Congratulations to her. I have just retired after 25 years. It is in equal measure one of the most rewarding and soul destroying jobs going.
She will quickly realise that she won't change the world, but if each day she manages to make one person's life a little less shit, then that's what counts.
She'll have a blast.

She had her first rotten day today. She dropped in on us unannounced which is unusual and said she was on her way to buy a load of colouring in stuff, also very odd.

Turned out she‘d been called to a child wandering around with no shoes on in town. Turns out this 7 year old lass had been clouted by her “father” and thrown out into the freezing rain. She was completely oblivious and reasonably happy which suggests this is her normal expectation of life.

They took her in and she takes her soaking socks off and puts them over the radiator further suggesting this is a kid used to fending for herself.

Waiting for all the Social Services stuff to happen, Daughter was assigned Baby Sitting Duty and ended up emptying an old pencil case she had in her car to find pens etc to keep the kid entertained. That’s why daughter was off to buy a ruck load of gear for kids to go in a box in the station. There will be a next time.

The kid is destined for care and Daughter was very down. Nobody really thinks going into care is real progress but hopes are high for fostering etc.

So, why write this? Someone in one of the two threads I started on asking for advice for my daughter said that ”on the shit days remember that you have made someone’s shit life just a bit less shit”. Sitting with a kid who’d never had anyone take any interest in her drawing and colouring was just that and I reminded my daughter of it.

Well done to your girl. Sadly she is going to have this experience and much worse repeated over the years. Sadly this will effect here to some extent.

Keep an eye on her and encourage her to identify when things are getting too much and to seek assistance if she needs it.

Green_Homer

War Hero
It’s been a real eye opener for us as adults who thought they had a reasonable grip on the world. Turns out, we haven’t got a clue.

Naturally enough, we as her parents are fascinated by her job and talk about her experiences. Bearing in mind her beat is in a small Cheshire town that many probably haven’t heard of, with a good deal of rural area surrounding and generally affluent, the shit that goes down every, single, day is just staggering.

There’s a whole subset of society going on down there that even the many relevant threads on Arrse don‘t begin to uncover, probably because it’s largely unreported.

I‘ve long held the view that the only people in this country that are policed are those that consent to be policed. The rest get policed if they’re dumb enough to get caught and even then, the judicial system offers little deterrent assuming it gets past the CPS. The political interference that allows these people to operate largely unhindered by the forces of law and order is a national disgrace. The police are blindfolded, hog tied and almost wholly unable to be anything other than reactive as a result.

Nothing I’ve learned in the last month or two since she took to the streets has changed that view. I knew there was fuckwittery and criminality out there and even pure evil but I’d no idea of the depth and spread of it. Those that insulate us from that need our earnest respect and support. My loathing of those who seek to undermine that at the highest levels, yes, you, Abbott, Butler and all the rest just notched up a very great deal
My first station as a pcso was a small affluent market town like you described. The reality of what happened on a day to day basis was staggering.

Prior to joining the police I worked for a local authority and had some insight of the dark areas of the public however seeing it from a police capacity was a major eye opener.

Stuff involving kids became that much harder to deal with when I became a father myself...

My first station as a pcso was a small affluent market town like you described. The reality of what happened on a day to day basis was staggering.

Prior to joining the police I worked for a local authority and had some insight of the dark areas of the public however seeing it from a police capacity was a major eye opener.

Stuff involving kids became that much harder to deal with when I became a father myself...
My nearest neighbor up the valley is a social services bloke who sorts crises around the barrow in Furness area. His wife tells me he goes all quiet and tight lipped on an evening after he has had to deal with some of the cases involving children ( after 20 + years on the job)
it really upsets both him and her, but as he said “ if I don’t do my job, who is going to fight the children’s corner.”
I really don’t think I could do what he does without going ballistic now and again.
Hats off.

My nearest neighbor up the valley is a social services bloke who sorts crises around the barrow in Furness area. His wife tells me he goes all quiet and tight lipped on an evening after he has had to deal with some of the cases involving children ( after 20 + years on the job)
it really upsets both him and her, but as he said “ if I don’t do my job, who is going to fight the children’s corner.”
I really don’t think I could do what he does without going ballistic now and again.
Hats off.
There’s another, hidden tragedy in that I suspect.

I refuse to believe that all Social Workers are incompetent, left leaning apologists. I’m willing to bet though that a poll of the general public would return that opinion based on the unbelievable cocks ups that the (?) few that are seem to visit upon the vulnerable.

Rotheram, Victoria Climbie, Baby P, this latest lad, Arthur, all appalling cases of incompetence and politicking that had devastating outcomes, all widely reported. But I bet there are many out there who deal with this kind of stuff daily and genuinely do the very best that they can within a system hopelessly compromised by the woke culture that corrodes everything it comes into contact with.

The hidden tragedy is that, like your neighbour, it must often be at considerable cost to those who are trying to do the right thing and like the police, face not just battling the perpetrators of such dreadful crimes but also the system that’s supposed to support them.

Haven’t been a police officer , but worked as a prison officer for a year. Decided the job wasn’t for me.
You see a different side to society, some of the very worst, but then sometimes when you see the upbringings some of them have had,it’s no surprise they ended up in prison.
Dealing with people who have killed or harmed children is tough, although you have to remain professional. Not always easy though.
Obviously it’s the Police who deal and process these people to begin with.

Latest Threads