Protestors Turn on Putin

Something happened on the way to his coronation as Tsar. The people seem to object. Democracy meets stalinism.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2057413,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=12

There were pensioners clutching single roses, students wearing jeans and a young man weaving through Moscow's anarchic traffic on a chopper bike.

Ranged against them were 9,000 riot police wielding truncheons and the might of the Russian state. And yet for one moment yesterday the demonstrators got the better of their opponents. After surging down the Boulevard Ring, the protesters began a defiant chant: 'Russia without Putin: Russia without Putin.' The sun burst on to a freezing Moscow morning. There was, it seemed, a whiff of revolution in the air.

tomahawk6 said:
Something happened on the way to his coronation as Tsar. The people seem to object. Democracy meets stalinism.
I'd disagree and say it's more Pinochet than Stalin. A minor point that the person at the end of the billy-club or choke-hold can't be bothered with at the moment.

What has happened really?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070414/ap_on_re_eu/russia_protests;_ylt=AvIQaBW5RLMVBL__s.v1Qfdw24cA

Police detained Garry Kasparov, the former world chess champion who now leads one of Russia's strongest opposition movements, and at least 100 other activists Saturday as they gathered for a forbidden anti-Kremlin demonstration in central Moscow.
City authorities gave permission to Other Russia to hold a rally at Turgenev Square, but denied their request to gather at the more central and prominent Pushkin Square, one of Moscow's most well-known public spaces. Other Russia defied the ban and declared they would march from Pushkin Square to the other square, about a mile away.

Police detained scores of activists at Pushkin Square, but thousands of others began marching. More than 1,000 others gathered at the authorized rally site.

Among them was Mikhail Kasyanov, who was Putin's first prime minister but now has gone into opposition.
http://nakarte.rambler.ru/moscow/#x=8852.03&y=10345.31&z=3

On this map you can see Pushkin square (the place of the detention) - it is in the Upper-Left corner of the map (there are 3 red M's here). Turgenev Square (allowed place for the demostration) is in the Upper-Middle part of the map (there are 2 red and one grey M's here). Both squares are approximately on the same distance for the Kremlin (triangle in the bottom).

Who are the 'protesters'? Look at them

On the left you can see Eduard Limonov - a leader of National Bolshevik party. Flags of the party you can see below. They remain Fascist flags - red with sickle and hammer instead of swastika.

In the centre you can see mr.Kasparov - a former chess champion. He left Chess two years ago and as Bobby Fischer doesn't know what to do in this life.

To the right from Kasparov you can see mr.Kasyanov - a former Putin's PM, a well-known thief.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
What confuses me is we have burrosksvy, boris the badger,abromovich and the ceo of ici meeting up. Could the the discontent be spreading to the uk?
Putin blames burrosksvy for the death of lipvenyenko and vice-verse ,is there a conspiracy amongst the exciles in the uk to depose putin or is it all just rumours?

DieHard said:
What confuses me is we have burrosksvy, boris the badger,abromovich and the ceo of ici meeting up. Could the the discontent be spreading to the uk?
Putin blames burrosksvy for the death of lipvenyenko and vice-verse ,is there a conspiracy amongst the exciles in the uk to depose putin or is it all just rumours?
So called 'revolutioners' as impotents - want but unable.

There were pensioners clutching single roses, students wearing jeans and a young man weaving through Moscow's anarchic traffic on a chopper bike.

[/quote]

Where are they I was looking for a chopper bike havent rode one for 30 years.

I think it was Newsnight the other evening said that Putins intelligence service was buying up Russias major industries, forcing out, arresting or killing the original owners

Well original owners is a bit deceitful! I prefer the term spineless ,gutless ******* who purchased said industries cheap under Yeltsin and screwed both the workers and the public while making vast fortunes. Putin a wolf in sheep's clothing and a dangerous man.