Protestant rioters attack Catholic homes as sectarian unrest flares on streets of Bel

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Afghan_Kandak, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Protestant rioters attack Catholic homes as sectarian unrest flares on streets of Belfast
    By Associated Press, Tuesday, June 21, 12:02 AM
    BELFAST — Sectarian clashes erupted on Belfast’s streets as masked Protestant rioters attacked Catholic homes Monday, Northern Ireland authorities said.

More than 100 Protestant teens and young men bombarded Catholic homes with rocks, bricks and bottles. The street clashes occurred on a major sectarian fault line in east Belfast, pitting the Protestants of Newtownards Road against the Catholics of the Short Strand district.

Sporadic violence has been a regular feature of Northern Ireland’s wider conflict since the late 1960s.

Catholic leaders said the violence was unprovoked, but Protestant leaders said the Protestants appeared to be retaliating for smaller-scale attacks by Catholics youths the previous night.

Most of the attackers wore hoods or scarves over their faces to make it harder for police using video cameras to identify them.

Riot police kept the two sides apart and came under fire from both directions. One police armored vehicle was set on fire by a Molotov cocktail, but it wasn’t clear which side threw it.

The Short Strand-Newtownards Road flashpoint is just one of more than 30 parts of Belfast where high barricades, known as peace lines, separate Irish Catholic and British Protestant turf. Such peace lines have grown in number and size despite the success of Northern Ireland’s 1998 peace accord, which inspired a unified Catholic-Protestant government, the disarmament of the Irish Republican Army, and greater Catholic support for law and order.

Sectarian tensions typically flare in the build-up to July 12, a divisive Northern Ireland holiday when tens of thousands of Protestants from the Orange Order brotherhood march across the British territory. One of the first contentious parades of the Orange marching season turned violent Friday when police blocked Orangemen from parading through part of Ardoyne, a militant Catholic district that often seeks to lash out at passing Protestant parades. Four police officers reported minor injuries.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© The Washington Post Company

Protestant rioters attack Catholic homes as sectarian unrest flares on streets of Belfast - The Washington Post
  2. Three weeks early?
  3. Someone spilled someone else's pint.
  4. Sectarian trouble in norn ireland?

Coming next: Afghan_Kandak tells us water is wet!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. It is a bit early though, is it the Derry stuff that happens this time of year?

Making me nostalgic, this is................................................

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Why are they described as Irish Catholics and British Protestants? Is it cr@p journalism or is that a standard US media distinction?
  7. Some people are bored these days
  8. And others are just boring.

It shows the US bias to the republican cause, right or wrong. Our terrorists are their freedom fighters.
  9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

10. We are fighting and dying on his behalf - i.e. if we had not joined USA in invading Afghanistan 2001 & Iraq 2003 I believe the 7/7 bombings in 2005 would not have happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. A long day drinking to celebrate McIllroy's win at the US Open was the catalyst apparently.

Only in NI could celebrating a local sportsman winning a tournament end up in a sectarian riot.
  12. HHH

HHH LE

I don't think Rorys win had anything to do with this, unless you can prove different?
  13. Just what I was told. Being that it's NI, it's not exactly unimagineable that a long night of drinking and celebrating ended up in a riot...
  14. I oppose the Iraq/Libyan war, Afghanistan is a much more complicated case.

America owes the Afghan people alot since they used them to fight their wars and then leave them to a 20 year civil war, turning one side on another through Pakistani Generals.