protest in birmingham?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC News - Protesters gather at Birmingham Bullring centre

'Police said no crimes have been reported and the motive for the protest "remains unclear at this time". A BBC reporter at the scene said officers had separated the crowd into two groups.
In a statement, West Midlands Police said officers "have no power to ban a static protest".
"In fact the right to protest peacefully is a sign of a healthy democracy and we have a positive duty to facilitate that right." '

hmm...

They must want a new tv.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Panic was only temporary. Saw the post and rushed to the TV. Hundreds of Pakistanis attacking police and destroying property.
'**** me,' I thought. 'Weather in Birmingham's not too bad. Keep going lads.'

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
A mate of mine who "works" in London (he's an accountant - make your own mind up) has mentioned on FaceAche that there have been protests outside the French Embassy (presumably WRT the french satirical magazine's cartoons rather than the US video). Suffice to say that followers of the "Religion of Peace" (TM) may, or may not, have been involved.

BBC News - Protesters gather at Birmingham Bullring centre

'Police said no crimes have been reported and the motive for the protest "remains unclear at this time". A BBC reporter at the scene said officers had separated the crowd into two groups.
In a statement, West Midlands Police said officers "have no power to ban a static protest".
"In fact the right to protest peacefully is a sign of a healthy democracy and we have a positive duty to facilitate that right." '

hmm...
"...in fact we have a positive duty to facilitate that right"

It is difficult to know where to start with that, it sounds odd, unless it is subterfuge to allow the Police to be on hand should any aggro start without sounding like they are spoling for a fight.

A mate of mine who "works" in London (he's an accountant - make your own mind up) has mentioned on FaceAche that there have been protests outside the French Embassy (presumably WRT the french satirical magazine's cartoons rather than the US video). Suffice to say that followers of the "Religion of Peace" (TM) may, or may not, have been involved.
Careful now mate, or they'll be setting a fat bloke on you.

It's BIRMINGHAM. Literally nothing to see there. Sorry Brummies.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not much on the news about it. Huffington is about the only one reporting any problems at the moment.

A mate of mine is on the night shift in Central Birmingham tonight and he caught the bus in to the city centre from his home in Erdington, this was at about 19:00.

I spoke to him about 20 minutes ago and he told me that it looked nasty, Boots Chemists had to bang down its shutters with customers inside and the so called 'protestors' are young members of the ******* idiotic gangs that are so beloved of these parts.

He also said that the crowd was clearly tooled up and were squaring up to the coppers who are also out in force.

Lastly he insisted that the media is most definitely not reporting the reality of the situation.

Report ends.

These people protest about everything, just because in the UK they can do it, without getting ******* topped, they have got more rights than a TRUE Brit,

Protest was apparently about the film.

The latest suggestion from the local press - so probably wildly inaccurate - is that some protestors got a bit awkward and attempted to injure a few policemen.

The police response - bearing in mind this is West Midlands we're talking about - was, of course tactful and sensitive to the cultural norms of the protestors.

By which I mean they set dogs on them.

Edit - Looking at LPJ's post, I'm guessing that the local chavs and ne'er do-wells have turned up to have a bit of a ruck. In days gone by, this would not have ended especially well for the chavs & ne'er do wells (see Bristol City Hooligan Firm vs WMP, circa 1988. Police injuries = 1 blue on blue by over-excited police dog).

A mate of mine is on the night shift in Central Birmingham tonight and he caught the bus in to the city centre from his home in Erdington, this was at about 19:00.

I spoke to him about 20 minutes ago and he told me that it looked nasty, Boots Chemists had to bang down its shutters with customers inside and the so called 'protestors' are young members of the ******* idiotic gangs that are so beloved of these parts.

He also said that the crowd was clearly tooled up and were squaring up to the coppers who are also out in force.

Lastly he insisted that the media is most definitely not reporting the reality of the situation.

Report ends.
In this case I hope the Police facilitate their rapid removal. It seems to me that going soft on this sort of thing encourages it.

A downward spiral, shops lose money, people are put off going, the place goes downhill. A slippery slope and tolerating it cannot be allowed.

Latest Threads