Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Griffinthe2nd, Oct 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently heard that drinking 250ml of skimmed milk has the same effect as a protein shake. Having read the nutritional information on both I believe this is utter rubbish.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Note: Yes I already know that excess protein is simply p1ssed away

and no "dirty protein" comments either
  2. I seem to remember reading that protein is absorbed quicker when it's ingested in different forms and with various amino acids.

Protein shakes are designed to contain a balance of those so it's more effective.

I would imagine that you could get similar results by mixing different foodstuffs with milk, couldn't comment on it's efficacy compared to shakes though.

I used protein shakes to bulk up for about 8 months but I used a quarter of the amount recommended on the tin mixed with milk, oats, peanut butter, banana, honey and cottage cheese.
  3. But you get extra protein from gobbling cock.
  4. A litre is 34g, so 500ml would be a better bet. Or 250ml and two tablespoons of skimmed milk powder - don't try to stir it in, just heap it on the surface and wait five minutes.

It amuses me that people mix whey and casein, for instant and long term protein. Eh, and what does milk contain?

The only (possible) downside with milk is that you have to take the carbohydrate as well.
  5. Priceless :roll:

6. I know.

What's wrong with some nice cottege cheese.
  7. A whole tub of cottage cheese (Tesco "Value" is good) with a few microwaved spuds is essence. The microwave gets the water out (peel and stab to avoid explosions, obv), and the combination of slightly sweet high energy dense spud and cold cheese..........(allllgggghhh makes Homer noise).