Protein Supplements - A load of arrse?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by HantsTiger, May 4, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my flat mates has decided that he is a professional triathlete, despite no previous experience of the sport (or any cycling). Within a week, the kitchen cupboards have been filled with Natural Whey, ReGo and a whole host of creatin type 'muscle buster' powders. Does anybody else think that this is a load of shoite and that all thats needed for good fitness is a slightly improved balance of press ups, running, a healthy diet and not going for the alcopop option? Oh and my friend says that "mate, half the army is probably on stuff like this". Somehow, i dont think so...

2. You are absolutely right Stab. What is the betting that the next few posts have some sort of **** theme?

3. Talked to a fairly senior sports scientist on the subject (bloke is a medical adviser to FIFA, went to one recent World Cup Final on freebie tickets... jammy sod). Just before he stuck a bunch of us into a heat/humidity chamber in our sporting kit to show us what it would feel like at the event/venue. Aberdeen in January turns into Kuala Lumpur in autumn, yippee.......

He was saying to the assembled mass of sporty types "watch out for creatine". Basically, no-one had a decent idea of what it does to you over the long term (particularly to your kidneys), especially when you take the "well, if it says one spoonful, then two can't hurt" overdosing option.

Your mate's biggest issue is the one that has caught out some athletes of late; namely some of the "supplement" manufacturers run several products through the same pill production line, but don't necessarily clean the machinery properly between production runs. Bit of a sod if the run before your supplement was for a steroid, and yours was the first batch afterwards.......personally, I wouldn't trust the stuff, and that's the advice of most sporting bodies.

If your mate is actually serious, he'll have to be serious enough to be prepared for a UK Sport drugs test; two year bans aren't a great help to either competitive plans or sporting reputation. He's responsible for what goes into his body; claiming "it must have been that supplement that made me test positive for nandrolone" ain't going to work (unless, of course, you play tennis)