Protein question.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by allyjs, Nov 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Obviously to bulk up you need to consume more protein.
    As the body doesn't store protein, is it still effective to have protein before a workout?

For example earlier tonight i had some fish for dinner, so if i had a workout now would i gain any benefits from the protein in that fish?
  2. Of course you would but even better would be to also add whey in water post workout as it will be absorbed quicker. don't believe the protein figures given out by PT instructors and guidelines laid down. 1.5 to 2.0 grams per pound of bodyweight is what you should aim for.
  3. Thanks.

A PM is winging its way to you.
  4. Also I would recommend some form of 'Building Block', your body will naturally vacate unused protein, If you used the blocks, your body will absorb all.
  5. Would sugest some complex carb post workout (fine oats are a good source), some slow release protein before bed is also useful - would go for 150g cottage cheese, and again a bowl of fine oats in the morning does the trick.

Would suggest for some whey, 50g post workout (and if you like with your breakfast) will keep it in good supply when its needed.

Currently I dont see the point in whey when you can just buy whole foods for it, just grab a george foreman grill and a whole lotta chicken breast. Couple mins to cook it up and have lots of small portions throughout the day rather than fewer large meals.
  6. I used lego and it worked a treat.
  7. wrong.

you need calories to bulk up, not just protein.

proffesional body builders used to wake up in the middle of the night just to have a meal.

if you want to get bigger, you need to ditch the CV exercise, probably once a week, not for too long either, and shove calories and protein down your neck like its going out of fashion.

real bulking is about more then doing a few bicep curls every day.
    when you go to public gyms, you see guys who sit there for hours at a time, usually checking themselves out.

if you want to get bigger overall, you need to do low reps so you pretty much max out, 10 at most. the big exercises are good, like deadlift, squat, bench press, shoulder press. do those 4 exercises with a minute or two break, just 10 reps on the heaviest weight you can safely do, and i almost guarentee you'll probably struggle just to walk out the gym. nobody who trains hard can spend hours doing it.

your back, chest and shoulders are what define your silohette, so getting them bigger is the priority. always doing exercises standing up is a must. this way you hit your core, and legs as well. isolating muscles just leads to useless strength. whats the point in looking massive if your girlfriend can carry more then you, just from her bums and tums class?
    i hope thats enough for now.
  8. No need to ditch CV for gaining mass as long as you take in the calories and don't overtrain. Obviously running 40 miles a week is going to hinder you more then running 20 miles a week. There's some big lads in the Regt and they can knock out a 10 mile tab in P Coy time.
  9. well obviously this is were body type comes in. if you have a fast metabolism, you'll need very large amounts of calories anyway, and adding a lot of cv work as well , means you'd probably need so many calories that you'd spend half your life eating.

im not saying big guys cant be fit, but i would guess most have always been big. obviously you will know better then me, but i doubt many recruits turn up like sparrows knee caps and leave 4 or 5 stone heavier. like most rugby players get bulky, then get really fit, because its easier then the other way rond.

if you exercise a lot, with good protein, you will be lean rather bulky.
  10. OK: I seem to post on this about once a month, but I'll try again.

You do not need any protein supplements to gain weight.

The first point to consider: how much protein is enough? The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is 0.8 grams/kg body weight/day. (If you're too lazy, or mathematically challenged, here's a pre-arranged calculator based on height and sex: daily protein calculator)

For a 6'3" male, this gives a reading of 64 grams... For 'short duration, high intensity sports', there is evidence of the need to go as high as 1.4 g/kg.

Why not just go higher? surely this won't do you any harm? Well, it may do:
    Although the scientific evidence for harm is not conclusive, this does suggest that you should not be aiming for anything more than about 1.5g/kg/day unless you are willing to gamble with your long term health, whatever sports you are undertaking - remember that this is still nearly twice the RDA...

So, if you are a large lump - 16 stone (225lb or 102kg) of fit hunk, working out daily, you could need as much as 102 x 1.5 grams per day: that's 153 grams of protein. That's 5.4 ounces...

So, how much meat do you need to get 5.4 ounces of protein?
    American studies suggest that chicken breast is roughly 1/3rd protein. Beef sirloin averages around 1/4, by the time initial trimming etc has been carried out.
    Milk? around 8 grams in 250 ml.

So, let's say you have a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast, a glass of milk at lunch, and a glass in the evening: 24 grams, or just under 1 ounce of protein.

For lunch, a half pound of chicken breast: that's 2.6 ounces of protein.

At supper, a big half pound steak: that's 2 ounces of protein.

So, ignoring any other food at all, you're at 5.6 ounces - or roughly twice the RDA of protein.

Before any abuse starts, you may then ask why body builders love all the foul tasting - and expensive - supplements. Basically, marketing. Their physiques are down to a good diet, and fanatical self-discipline/exercise.

If you want to spend money on converting your wages into protein waste products that are pissed away, it probably won't do you any harm to take supplements: if you want to build mass, a healthy diet and a disciplined training regime will do the job, saving your cash for other things.
  11. To be honest you want to train a different set of muscle each session, usually 1 session every other day.

I used to do strick bulk/cut's and what are you on about cutting out CV, even on bulking I did atleast 30mins running a day, often a 2mile int he morning then a jog to warm up for exercise.

Yes you should be doing alot of weight and aim for 8-12reps in sets of about 3.

The way to do it is to bulk for muscle then cut the fat away, rince and repeat.

If your lucky 1manriot might pop his head in and show us all wrong...

*edit to say that exactly as my first post stated that I find it better to eat chicken/fish for my protein rather than stock up on the powder...
  12. I think that the original poster should clarify whether they want to just build muscle or actually put weight on overall, to avoid the confusion in replies (some people are explaining that protein won't build overall weight (correct) and others are explaining how protein (whey supplements etc.) will help build muscle (also correct)).
  13. "The way to do it is to bulk for muscle then cut the fat away, rince and repeat".

My two cents - the number of people who actually manage to "bulk up" and then "cut up" is vanishingly small. People tend to just become big and fat. I'd limit the fat gain - if you absolutely cannot see any abs you are too fat, and if it goes on for a month or two you'll probably never see them again in your whole life.
  14. Lol where this may be very true, it is not awfully hard to shift the fat, its all about planning your diet, aslong as your loseing more calories than your consuming each day you will be cutting it down, problem is people who do a half arsed way which usually means, like you say, get fat...
  15. Try here: Clicky This place has everything you'd ever need to know about body building.