Protein levels

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by speedybham, Jan 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently visited my doctors to get some blood test results as I need to keep an eye on my chestrol levels as their is a history of heart problems in the family.

I didn't see my normal GP as there is currently a Medical Corps doctor training at my GP's practice. He looked at my results and said everything was OK, although my protein levels were abit high.

He asked me if i had been taking any protein suppliments (which I havn't, honest!) to which I said no (don't think he believed me). Said it could just be high and not to worry about it but i've heard story's of people getting rejected at medicals due to high protein levels and mines next month. He even asked if i had taken a protein shake before the blood test!

Anyone got any ideas why it would be high without touchin protein suppliments?

thanks
    speedy

2. Have you been drinking your sperm again?

3. No pi$$ test, just blood, the doc ticked all the boxes on the form...

smudge... is that the poor mans protein supplement??

4. High protein levels (in urine) can be an early sign of diabetes or insulin problems. In blood or urine they can just be because you're slightly dehydrated and/or putting a lot of strain on your kidneys, possibly with too much booze or too much salt.

5. arr... i've got it, I had fast for the blood test and it was at 10:30 in the morning, could that of made a differance? i was more concerned that it would come out high in a urine test and i could fail my medical :( but the doc didn't seem that concerned, i'm back there again tomorrow for my rg8 and will try and get some more exact figures for referance

thanks for your reply...

6. You're welcome :D

If you fasted that could explain it. You can still have plain water even if you are fasting - in fact it is better to as dehydration can skew quite a lot of the results.

7. Hmm.

Not so sure about most of the "facts" given in this thread.

When you say your protein was high, do you mean the serum albumin?

If so, don't worry about it.

Remember, normal ranges are those that will encompass the average value plus 2 standard deviations each way. Thus, by design, normal ranges will call about 2.5% of people at each end of the range abnormal even if they aren't.

Which is a far more likely scenario than some strange pathology that increases serum albumin (I can't even think of one).

Now if the proteins are other ones - amyloid, immunoglobulins, etc. - then that's different. But they aren't usually boxes to tick on the form. They have to be specially asked for.

FF.

8. Also, eating protein supplements doesn't (to my knowledge) increase your blood protein levels.

Excess protein intake is merely excreted as nitrogenous waste, mostly through the kidneys. It is not cross-synthesised into serum proteins the body doesn't need.

Can do other things though, like give you kidney stones...

FF.