Protein before basic?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Ethhjoness, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got told by one of my mates that's on his last few weeks at basic that the Army don't allow protein as when your tested for supplements it comes under as steroids or other supplements so try don't allow it? Anyone know anything more about it?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. Stop being so bloody stupid. Have you honestly heard of anyone being kicked out for eating too much tuna? You're friend is talking shite, and you are coming onto the internet to ask about it...

• Like Like x 4
  3. Just eat a healthy balanced diet, young men don't need massive amounts of protein.
    Try the search function too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Must not say anything. Must not say anything. Must not say anything

• Like Like x 16

5. Jarrod's right, this whole culture of teens and twenty somethings feeling the need to glug down copious protein packed milkshakes morning, noon and night is a load of nonsense.

Back in the 80's when I started lifting weights we just aimed to eat a lot of eggs, and baked beans. Food was relatively expensive then, so all this lean steak nonsense wasn't a consideration for a youngster back then.

The weird thing is, most of these Gym-junkies nowadays spend a fortune on supplements, then go to McDonalds every weekend, and swill endless coke.

6. I'm one of those people you talk about. Protein shakes are a cheap and easy way to give your body what it needs to grow (if you buy them in bulk from a website like myprotein). They don't harm you and do make it easier to gain muscle.

7. If you read 'Pumping Iron' (which incidentally is about £7.50 on MyProtein) you'll see that there really is no substitute for real food.

Maybe you are "one of those people", and as long as you don't use my money to buy your magical powders, I don't care.

It doesn't make my opinion invalid though Sammy, sorry if I pushed your buttons, it wasn't intentional!

8. I honestly don't care less. My personal opinion is that it works for some people and not for others. If you have the time, energy and money to create healthy protein full food then it's best for you. Sometimes I go to the gym straight after work, so it works for me. Horses for courses.

9. I think the OP is talking about Creatine rather than tinned Tuna. And yes, at certain levels (those found in products in the PX for example) it is banned within the British Army

10. I seemed to have miss interpreted that question I ment protein shakes and supplements rather than natural protein!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. And how exactly are they going to tell the difference? Protein shakes are not banned in the British Army, you cannot and will not get "kicked out" for using them. Someone has said Creatine is, however I know many many blokes who play rugby and other sports who use it and i've not heard of anyone having problems doing so.

http://www.britisharmyboxing.com/files/unregulateduseofsupplements.pdf

[SIZE=-2]1/05/2011
    Directorate of Personal Services (Army)
    [/SIZE]

12. Now that is a business venture worth pursuing!

Mind you, the curry houses round here have been doing it for years, with plenty of seasoning to mask the salty taste!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Protein and Creatine supplements are not banned, and has been pointed out, can be very useful to certain types when time pressure and cooking facilities/scoff house quality become a factor.

There has been a list published, detailing supplements that have been tested and are deemed suitable (NOT ENDORSED) for consumption by British soldiers. As far as I'm aware, no list detailing unsuitable (those likely to raise an issue when drugs tested) supplements is available. I might be wrong.

DEFINITELY worth noting that the 'suitable' products list is a guide when buying from a reputable UK distributor. The same product in the US contains substances that British soldiers are banned from consuming. So be careful if purchasing from the PX or importing from abroad.

14. I'm in, let's keep this "hush hush" for now, in case 'Bile Spewer' steals our idea!

15. I know they sell Maximuscle products in the NAAFI. Nuff said?

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.