Protection differences between Mk 6, 6a and Mk 7?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bravo_Bravo, Dec 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that each have visible differences, but is there much improvement in the way of eg. ballistic protection?

2. Did you want the CLASSIFIED or the UNCLASSIFIED answer?
  3. Whichever you feel comfortable with.
  4. My boss actually believed that the MK7 stops a 7.62mm round dead in its tracks. The media do make out that this is the case though. Helmets may deflect richochets but even a 9mm sig saur passes through a MK7 with ease.
  5. even a 9mm sig saur passes through a MK7 with ease.

Somebody got bored on Tour...
  6. On a pen dem range recently everything went through the Mk6 like it was made of chocolate. Didn't shoot the others though. Hopefully the 6A and 7 are a little better than the 6's pathetic performance.
  7. Is there a current service helmet used anywhere that actually has some real protection from rounds?
  8. No. Well, not on current issue to troops. It would be far too heavy.
  9. apart from snapping the wearer's neck as all that KE goes somehwere....;-)
  10. Most helmets are NIJ IIIA, i.e are designed to stop 9mm & .45 but nothing else, the weight would be far too much for NIJ IV.

We have a MACH1 Helmet in our office that has stopped five 9mm rounds - a test at very short range, not some poor fcuker taking five to the head!

Edited to say - i think that the major difference might be in the first few layers that are used to make the helmet. My guess is that they used some type of Aramid that promotes richochet or rounds.
  11. How many arguments did I have on here with people who swore the MK6 and MK6A did not suffer with this. Usually argued by those who had never worn osprey body armour. :)
  12. Even without osprey I still had that problem
  13. Even with just ECBA and a daysack this is an issue, let alone osprey!
  14. Yep. I argued that case as well but the armchair warriors certainly knew better! :)