Protecting civilians MY ARRSE

Hmm. This post dropped off the front page without a murmer. Is it that people are sick n tired of this sort of 'reality check'? We all just sorta shrug our shoulders and say, "Yep, war is for profit, and who cares a damn"?

I dunno. I wouldn't mind if the pols were truthful about it. If they said, "Yeah, we're in Libya to turn it into a new Mediterranean resort-o-plex for pissed, sunburned Brits and pool chair-hogging Krauts" I'd say, "Well, cheers for being honest about it!".

P

pp0470

Maybe you have already said all there is to say - unfortunately our foreign policy brings us a standard of living that others can only dream of.

As long as we have our staples - reality tv, fast cars, gadgets, loose women, fags&booze - who is going to loose any sleep over war crimes in Africa / Middle East / S.Asia? Shit happens apparently.

Say the word and I'll join you at the barricades, but it might just be me & thee mate.

They never said which civilians they were protecting though, did they? I'm pretty sure the ones they had in mind live in Buckinghamshire and commute.

Hmm. This post dropped off the front page without a murmer. Is it that people are sick n tired of this sort of 'reality check'? We all just sorta shrug our shoulders and say, "Yep, war is for profit, and who cares a damn"?
Maybe because it's a wild theory, based on one side-effect of a complex situation.

Maybe it's because you put it across with an obvious and blatant agenda.

Maybe it's because (as proven by your decision to bump your own thread after it died a death) you're an attention whore.

Most likely, it's because people like you would invent a non-story like this no matter what the conflict was.

Maybe because it's a wild theory, based on one side-effect of a complex situation.

Maybe it's because you put it across with an obvious and blatant agenda.

Maybe it's because (as proven by your decision to bump your own thread after it died a death) you're an attention whore.

Most likely, it's because people like you would invent a non-story like this no matter what the conflict was.
An attention whore with an agenda... I like it!

As for it being a non-story - really? I sorta thought the concept of war for profit was a pretty big story. Sure, we've been doing it since before the Romans brought 'democracy' to the barbarians, but I'd have thought in this more enlightened age, people would be more circumspect about the moral equivalent of murder for money.

So you don't really give a toss whether or not you're putting your life on the line for a legit op, or just another ME oil grab?
There is, and always will be a complete lack of connection between soldiering & politics. It doesn't matter what the political views of members of the army are, because they've signed on to go where they're sent and do what they're ordered to.

Bit simplistic maybe, but if you think that soldiers have the luxury of saying "hmm, I don't think I'll go to Libya, I think the UN resolution is a bit vague" or that they can say to the OC "If we're just going to further the commercial interests of the UK, I'll pass this time thanks" then you're being daft for no reason at all.

So you don't really give a toss whether or not you're putting your life on the line for a legit op, or just another ME oil grab?
Gadaffi was already selling oil to Europe as fast as he could get it out of the ground and signing contracts with western companies for everything from arms deals to oil infrastructure upgrades.

So why exactly go to all the hassle of 'regime change' when the current regime's already selling us oil and giving us all the money back again to upgrade his MiGs?

I quite like the idea of war for profit, it's about time we started getting something out of wars again.

I quite like the idea of war for profit, it's about time we started getting something out of wars again.
When has war not been for profit, the big international construction company's are revving up, big time,to go in and rebuild all the crap the RAF have just f@cked up

When has war not been for profit, the big international construction company's are revving up, big time,to go in and rebuild all the crap the RAF have just f@cked up
Perhaps I did not make myself clear I was referring to National profit, like when we had red coats ie whatever could be got goes back into the pot, I don't mean feathering the nests of international companies.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear I was referring to National profit, like when we had red coats ie whatever could be got goes back into the pot, I don't mean feathering the nests of international companies.
But now we live in the international market, most people don't realize that even in the Falklands war American and international company's made millions, one example was all the construction plant used in building Mount Pleasent, and at least one of the ships used were all sold of in Charleston South Carolina, at a massively knocked down price

An attention whore with an agenda... I like it!

As for it being a non-story - really? I sorta thought the concept of war for profit was a pretty big story. Sure, we've been doing it since before the Romans brought 'democracy' to the barbarians, but I'd have thought in this more enlightened age, people would be more circumspect about the moral equivalent of murder for money.
Then you are incredibly naive. The majority of UK citizens don't really care what happens in this country, never mind one most of them could'nt find on a map.

The Working Class are too busy trying to pay the bills, earn enough for themselves and their families. The Untermenschen Class don't give a **** as long as they can scam enough Dole to provide booze, fags and other drugs. And flat-screen TV's to watch Jeremy Kyle on.

The Rich Bastard Class? You don't rise to that level by giving a **** about your fellow man. To those people, it will always be Nothing Personal, Just Business.

And in the end, why should we? If the position was somehow reversed, do you think many Libyans would be crying themselves to sleep over the fate of British civilians?

Personally, I don't care what happens in Libya - or anywhere else - as long as it does not directly effect me or the people I care about. And I suspect the majority of ARRSEr's feel the same way.

Your bleeding heart views lead me to believe that you're probably into things like feminism and environmental campaigning. In which case, you'll understand this: that oil is ****ing important, and supplies are limited.

I'd much rather put my neck on the line to secure an essential energy source for the security and prosperity of the UK, than to fulfil some politician's wet dream of saving a bunch of Africans who no doubt hated us before the war and will hate us once again after it.

That said, it's bullshit anyway. You've presented no evidence whatsoever that the war was started for the purposes of profit/oil or anything else. In my opinion, the Libya op is nothing but PR.

Latest Threads