Protect Your Pension - Sign the Petition

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Swingfire, Dec 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Military Pensions
    The Government have altered how your Military Pension is affected by annual inflation. They have changed the link from RPI to CPI which will decrease the value of your pension year on year. Below are some examples, which have been supplied by the Forces Pension Society, illustrating the cost of the change from RPI to CPI:
    a. Disabled double amputee 28 year old Corporal £587,000 by age 70.
    b. 40 year old Sergeant Royal Marines £212,000 by age 85.
    c. 40 year old Squadron Leader £319,000 by age 85.

Please sign the petition which is very easy to do, simply click on the link:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/protect-our-military-pensions/

IMPORTANT
    To help make the petition grow please pass this information on to friends and college's. Support from both ex military and none military personnel for the petition is important as we believe the pension is a strong part of the Military Covenant which our Government is signed up to.

2. I will make one observation and a couple of points:

Observation - the country is broke and they are penny pinching at anything they can to save a few shillings.

Point 1 - whilst it may be totally kosher, above board and beyond reproach - why would anyone want to pass on the full name, email and postal address to parties unknown. Especially in these days of cyber phishing and hacking.

Point 2 - there is no protection under the Data Protection Act if information is entered on the ipetitions website. It is, from the T&C's a registered in Delaware, USA, company. a. The fact that it is in the USA means that it is not covered by any european data protection legislation and they can sell your information or pass it to anyone. b. The fact that it is in Delaware means it is the USA equivelent of the Isle of Man or Jersey as far as corporate controls are concerned.......next to non-existent.

If you are going to sign, think long and hard around PERSEC.

3. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

MOD Mode On

This site has no Data Privacy agreement that works in the EU. I was until recently very involved in Information Assurance for the Navy and I would advise against entering your full details in to this site

In fact I would always recommend you think long and hard before disclosing your personal data to any site unless you know they have effective data protection protocols.

However the thread remains open and you are free to do as you wish. Take care out there.

4. Guns
    Thanks for your input on this, perhaps the following might be helpful.
    I can report that 460 people have signed in just 48 hours.

Point 1 -
    The No 10 petitions website’s FAQs states that “To sign a petition, you will need to give your name, address and email on the form provided” Every government/local authority petition I have signed either manually or online has required the address, presumably to deter fraudulent signatories as checks can always be made by the authorities where there is doubt. See Questions and Answers | Number10.gov.uk

Point 2 -
    The domain ipetitions.com is owned by:
    Moniker Privacy Services
    20 SW 27th Ave.
    Suite 201
    Pompano Beach
    FL
    US
    Phone: +1.9549848445
    Fax: +1.9549699155

Moniker is a BBB Accredited business since January 2004 and has an ‘A’ grade. See BBB Review of Moniker.com in Pompano Beach, FL

The ‘Privacy Statement’ on the iPetitions website is quite clear about data protection. See http://www.ipetitions.com/privacy Unfortunately the link to this is not displayed on all individual petition pages but there is a link to the statement at the bottom of the ‘Terms of Use’ page.