Protect and Survive

#21
Bovvy, from what I've read you're spot on, after detente, and in the 80s the Cold War certainly hotted up. It has been referred to as the Second Cold War even. With Reagan in power things were looking decidedly dodgy. Luckily for us Gorbachev rocked up and was willing to converse, and the Soviet interpretation of Able Archer shocked Reagan enough to make him reconsider his posture.

Puttees, what you describe happening on the Berlin Wall was pretty much what Erich Honecker, premier of the DDR, wanted to do. Thank god he had Gorbachev telling him that the USSR wouldn't back up the East Germans in any such action, and that he must reform. Nasty piece of work that Honecker, more hardline than the Sovs it seems...

What a great portrayal of the end of the world WOTW writes. I suppose things would've got nasty at the supermarkets and B&Q as everyone scrambled for supplies last minute, but it'd probably all be futile anyway. Reconstruction in 20 to 30 years sounds optimistic, but who am I to say? I've also heard the 'withold food until all the dying die, then only feed the fit and able seeing as they are the only ones who can work' line - think it was in Threads. It's morbid as fvck but TBH if rations are limited I suppose they wouldn't give them to those who are on their way out and those who were unproductive - expect mass civil unrest here!

One other thing was that comms would've gone down for the likes of most of us. The telephone preference system would've kicked in sometime before the attack so that essential state and military communications could be passed. Hence the rest of us would've been out of contact with each other way before the EMP happened.

Wasn't there a song someone put together about that time? Patrick Allen's voice with all the 'advice' from P&S, but at the end, calm as you like, he says something like 'Mine is the last voice you will ever hear, do not be afraid' or summat? 8O Frankie Goes to Hollywood maybe?
 
#22
Voltiguer,

"when you hear the air attack warning, you and your family must take cover...."

Two Tribes (Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as you suspected).
 
#24
Sparky2339 said:
Anyone remember STV inadvertantly broadcasting the "four minute" warning?

Caused a panic among the housewives at home who watched it. :D
Would that be a ITV Heathen affiliate from north of Civilisation?
No, I do not! 8)
 
#25
All this sounds very interesting.

I was playing with Thomas the Tank and I thought Fallout was another method of getting out of my bunk bed.
 
#26
IndianaDel said:
Sparky2339 said:
Anyone remember STV inadvertantly broadcasting the "four minute" warning?

Caused a panic among the housewives at home who watched it. :D
Would that be a ITV Heathen affiliate from north of Civilisation?
No, I do not! 8)
Do you mean John Logie Baird's land of birth Indy?? :D

We used to get Sale of the Century up here then (thank you Anglia) and many LWT progs with the "Thames/St. Pauls logo".

Innocent days :D :D

I will never forgive the networks for foisting Crown Court on us.
 
#28
IndianaDel said:
John Loggie Baird?
That is why the UK's TV format is "Pal"
He was RLC??? :D

"Pal" is a better name than "neebrr" or "jimmy" surely? :D :D

I'm actually surpised that in the US it's not "hey mac!!"...
 
#29
I remember watching both The Day After & Threads (got that on DVD now), & having the crap scared out of me particularly by Threads - although having watched it again recently it doesn't quite have the same threatening quality.
What really used to chill my blood though, was as NCO i/c Reliefs on a UK posting in 1983-84, one of my tasks when on guard was to test the early warning system in the Guardroom (the grey speaker box, can't remember what its official name was); when it was switched on, all you could hear was a loud ticking noise to test the carrier wave system. The room used to fall silent when that sound came on! Scary stuff.......Brrrr.
 
#30
Brush_Dust_Shake said:
I remember watching both The Day After & Threads (got that on DVD now), & having the crap scared out of me particularly by Threads - although having watched it again recently it doesn't quite have the same threatening quality.
What really used to chill my blood though, was as NCO i/c Reliefs on a UK posting in 1983-84, one of my tasks when on guard was to test the early warning system in the Guardroom (the grey speaker box, can't remember what its official name was); when it was switched on, all you could hear was a loud ticking noise to test the carrier wave system. The room used to fall silent when that sound came on! Scary stuff.......Brrrr.
Yes I watched it again recently and it seems a bit silly now. But in the context of the early eighties it was scary as fcuk.

I remember the grey box thing in guardrooms, nobody ever did tell me how it worked, does anybody know?
 
#31
E-Layer said:
Anyone else remember seeing them? Know why they were shown?
As others have said, because we all thought it was going to happen!

I was genuinely confused about living beyond 1995, I hadn't planned for it at all.

Thankfully the youthful Mrs. A came along, and told me that I existed to pay for her and meet her needs, so that sorted that out.
 
#32
*cold sweat*... anyone else have 'nuclear nightmares' as a sprog?
 
#33
They weren't actually broadcast in the early 80s, were they. They were kept back to be shown in case of an escalating threat, which never arose. People who say they've seen them broadcast are thinking of the clips shown in such "documentaries" as the "100 scariest things", not as actual Public Information broadcast transmissions on their own.
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#34
labrat said:
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/rec/WB1400.mp3
As a village bobby ( remember them? Pointy hats, blue tunics and talking to people) we had those set up in our small police offices which were attched to the houses. We had to listen every quarter to a test message and note the codeword that was given. There was much searching by those of us who forgot or were busy, for anyone who had heard, since we had to submit a return.
We also had, in a crate, a genuine air raid siren which again had to be tested. That was fun!

I was in Cuba, in 1962, some months before the whole missile business kicked off. Wonderful people, I loved them.

I was also involved, on the official side, in the Cruise protests, at Molesworth. I have to say, I agreed with CND about a lot of what they said.
 
#35
Archimedes said:
Voltiguer,

"when you hear the air attack warning, you and your family must take cover...."

Two Tribes (Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as you suspected).
I also remember Pink Floyd jumping on the bandwagon: 'The Final Cut' anyone - classic album.

Was at school during the early eighties but always remember the sweats in Battalion reminiscing about their lesbo bashing escapades whilst stagging on at Greenham Common. Any old school about who can provide some stories.
 
#36
I was brought up near Greenham Common*, a lot of family were on "the unsinkable aircraft carrier" & my village was full of CND types who never ceased in trying to scare the kids.

Books like "Brother in the Land" and "Z for Zachariah" were all over the shop. No wonder we were all terrified!

*I did like it when Cruise was deployed & the Americans sent out (I kid ye not) cardboard cut-out toy Cruise transporter vehicles.
 
#37
I was lying in bed one morning in 1986, when the unthinkable happened. All the air raid sirens in Edinburgh switched on (they were mounted on top of all of the police boxes) and ran for several minutes.

I lay in bed listening to the sirens, knowing exactly what they were, and thinking "given the lack of international tension it's probably an alarm test or f***-up" but it was still a pretty scary sound...

I found this explanation after some Googling... (there are forums about sirens? Weird).

'The Home Office ruled out computer error as a reason for the mistake, and seems convinced that human error or sabotage were not involved either. This is despite the fact that no similar mistakes have been recorded in the past 12 years, and that the incident happened at the height of a controversial visit to Scotland by the Prime Minister'.

A spokeswoman at the Home Office, which had the responsibility for civil defence in the UK at the time, said that 'BT was checking a carrier control unit in Edinburgh. This is believed to have malfunctioned causing the alarm to go off'.
 
#38
Random_Task said:
Schleswig-Holstein said:
I went through a period in the mid-1980s (strangely, just after watching Threads and the Day After) when I couldn't sleep 'cos I was cacking it so much over when (not if) the mushroom clouds would go up..... I think I only got over it when I discovered what girls were hiding underneath their clothes...

I went through a similar phase myself :D
*lie down with your head facing the blast placing your hands and weapon beneath your body - not below a 20ft wall if possible*

Of course that was equally encouraging...
 
#39
old_fat_and_hairy said:
labrat said:
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/rec/WB1400.mp3
As a village bobby ( remember them? Pointy hats, blue tunics and talking to people) we had those set up in our small police offices which were attched to the houses. We had to listen every quarter to a test message and note the codeword that was given. There was much searching by those of us who forgot or were busy, for anyone who had heard, since we had to submit a return.
We also had, in a crate, a genuine air raid siren which again had to be tested. That was fun!

I was in Cuba, in 1962, some months before the whole missile business kicked off. Wonderful people, I loved them.

I was also involved, on the official side, in the Cruise protests, at Molesworth. I have to say, I agreed with CND about a lot of what they said.
I was on the other side of the fence at Molesworth, it was a bit of fun watching the hippies getting removed. I did not speak to many of the protestors but most of them seemed to be of the unattractive variety and unable/unwilling to engage in debate.

In my opinion they were mostly fairly deluded believing that if they sing feminist songs all would be removed. Unfortunately Thatcher/Regan did not give a toss and a few friends in the met police were able to pay off their mortgage by shuttling between Molesworth/Greenham on overtime
 
#40
Archimedes said:
Voltiguer,

"when you hear the air attack warning, you and your family must take cover...."

Two Tribes (Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as you suspected).
The year this was a hot (1984) I was 15 years old and lying in Birmingham accident hospital having been run over by a car. I came in semi conciouss and babbiling about the CCF and A41 radios. The guy in the next bed was a para of sometype and looked after me for the next week. Every morning at 0600 a siren would go outside and we would wake the ward up by shouting "The air raid warning sounds like...... this is the sound"

I can't even remember your name mate, but thanks.... you made a difference.

Trotsky
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top