Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposed Training Changes Post Army 2020

Hahaha cock

See I am winding you up into button bashing.

Or would that be a wah...

Cock

Cheers easy

Heh heh dance monkey

Some of you didn't believe me, some thought that I was on a clever wind up. I make a decent living as a defence analyst and writer these days, you lot get it free, most others are paying an annual subscription fee.
I doubt anyone thought it was clever.

Edit: anyone except @Dread.

Last edited:

Dread

LE
I doubt anyone thought it was clever.
Oh FFS! The site dullard of the decade has appeared to ruin the thread. John G: please jog on to some remote corner of the internet and bore the inhabitants there with stories of your time that the MoD (or was it still the Ministry for War?) ditched 4 perfectly good battalions of Gurkhas in order to have a cast-iron excuse for binning you.

i was reading with great interest the discussion sdr army 2020.my son joined the royal artillery from school 2011 he is now 4/73.he then went onto complete the sas course,from there to complete the royal marines course, then he went on to complete the para pathfinders course,then he went on to complete a commando course he does not regard himself as a special forces soldier or an elite soldier,but a gunner he can deploy as an independent unit but also move around with all regiments mentioned above with air assault brigade.i dont know about army politics ,cost cutting,streamlining the only course my son didnt attend was the sbs and wondered if the poster who wrote that the sas and sbs might be merged has some truth to it.any input would be very much welcome p.s my son wears a khaki beret.

Hmmmm. Seems to have gotten around a bit does your lad.

On another note, a very nice lass I work with told me recently that her Army boyfriend, who's "in the SAS", has been posted to Catterick as they're having some problems there and he's going to sort them out, apparently.
Is there a poster out there who could let me know how he's getting on I wonder?

i was reading with great interest the discussion sdr army 2020.my son joined the royal artillery from school 2011 he is now 4/73.he then went onto complete the sas course,from there to complete the royal marines course, then he went on to complete the para pathfinders course,then he went on to complete a commando course he does not regard himself as a special forces soldier or an elite soldier,but a gunner he can deploy as an independent unit but also move around with all regiments mentioned above with air assault brigade.i dont know about army politics ,cost cutting,streamlining the only course my son didnt attend was the sbs and wondered if the poster who wrote that the sas and sbs might be merged has some truth to it.any input would be very much welcome p.s my son wears a khaki beret.

I think you or your boy need to check your buttocks, bollox and legs for 1st Degree Burns ^~

I think you or your boy need to check your buttocks, bollox and legs for 1st Degree Burns ^~

How dare you insinuate either me or my father are liars.

changing the point at which recruits are allocated a cap badge /unit from the recruiting office to on completion of Ph2.

Which I believe the RAC have started doing now? With soldiers joining 'the RAC' rather than Lancers/QDG etc... and then getting 'streamed' as such when the course moves from generic RAC to specific heavy/light etc...

Alternatively, at least until Nepal resolves its political problems and implements it's already stated aim of stopping Nepalese (Gurkhas) joining the British Army, allow them to join on exactly the same terms as members of the Commonwealth and Ireland.

Britain's already broken any pretence of adhering to the tri-partite agreement between the UK, Nepal and India, retired Gurkhas are now only contributing a minimal amount to the Nepalese economy, and you have the absurd situation where the son of a Gurkha who's retired to the UK can't join the Gurkhas, but the son of a Gurkha who's gone back to Nepal can only join the Gurkhas.

The moment Lumley and co won equal rights for the Ghurkas - I said it would be their death knell.
Partly because they were no longer cheap - but partly because of as you say the impact upon the Nepalese economy and demographics

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Which I believe the RAC have started doing now? With soldiers joining 'the RAC' rather than Lancers/QDG etc... and then getting 'streamed' as such when the course moves from generic RAC to specific heavy/light etc...

Which is great in theory, but giving people a choice in basic training inevitably leads to some units getting all the best blokes or forcing people into regiments they don't want. Capbadge selection at the recruiting office was probably a better bet despite its recruiting disadvantages for the Scots DG and QDG.

Bollocks.

Which is great in theory, but giving people a choice in basic training inevitably leads to some units getting all the best blokes or forcing people into regiments they don't want. Capbadge selection at the recruiting office was probably a better bet despite its recruiting disadvantages for the Scots DG and QDG.
If correct, how does that work when female RAC recruits are currently limited to only specific cap badges / units? Gen question.

It makes absolute sense (at least to me) to stream horses for courses, particularly for inf more than anyone, but unless the units are set up to maximise or justify any 'streaming' (and I'm not sure the RAC is, and I'm 1,000% sure the infantry isn't) then it's self defeating and just encourages 'poaching'.

A bit of levity. Phase 1 or whatever you call initial training today. "Squad 'Shun !" [Matelots slide their Pusser's steaming boots together and the Infantry slam their studded boots into the parade ground]
"Sailors, Speed 10, Soldiers quick march!" "Sailors [the RN always takes precedence over every Pongo unit every formed] ... Corpen Nine!" Matelots all raise their right arm, "Pongos Leffft Turn!"/"Execute!" [for the sailors].....
"What Fxxxing time do you call this Jack?" Jack looks at his watch which shows 3pm ..."6 Bells sirf!"
Jack .....We don't have NAAFI break, we have stand easy! followed by out pipes! 15 mins later.
..... and so it goes on.
Glad I left the RN when I could still draw my tot. Joined the Army after for a rest.
I only posted this to show how over the years we have lost our individuality, both unit wise and singularly imitating the brain washed drones of civvy street.

Correct they have, however, I am led to believe (from conversations) that there are still ways to get a particular Regt if it’s an adamant choice.

There are enough that don’t know the difference between a dragoon and a dragon or a Hussar and Huzzah before they join to be able to be sent where needed, or so I am told :)

ugly

LE
This is what my cheap shot at the RAF Regt alluded to. It's a good idea in principle but once they start taking account of all the 'exceptions' it gets very complicated very quickly. Do the Rifles still march faster than everyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no reason that all training cannot be conducted together at a single phase 1 establishment. Look at how good IJLB was for confirmation. In fact to make it all arms and all services would possibly end the soldiers first tradesmen second argument. Phase two for the Rifles would of course include a better drill training bit but all candidates would need to spend time on military syllabus during their phase 2 trade training, no ingrained skills yet so they can be lost quickly!

Latest Threads