Proposed plans to "tax" Motorists by the mile

New Labour looking at re-inventing the wheel (no pun intended) as part of congestion and pollution meaures are proposing a trail scheme where motorists will be charged by the mile rather than paying duty on fuel.

Link at SKY News

The annual road tax could also be abolished to make way for the new system.

Motorists would pay a set rate per mile which would vary according to the area and time of day.

On current estimates, that could be as mush as £1.34 a mile on the most popular routes but as little as 2p a mile on the quietest rural roads.
There has been quite a knee jerk to this proposal (and rightly so) for many reasons. Currently the Government get £40Bn a year from fuel duty and road Tax (of which only £4Bn is put back into roads). They believe that by introducing a mileage tax they can cut congestion by 50%.

They have taken the totally wrong approach to this problem. Their solution of taxing will only harm people and communities while destroying buisness. Why are they not looking at the modernisation of our Motorway backbones or investing in more public transport schemes for inner cities.
Who will pay the bill for road buisness such as logistics? It will be the customer of course, so prices will increase in supermarkets, in mail/courier and other services.

It will hit soldiers hard too, we do a lot of travelling. Will this be covered by MMA? I very much doubt it!! You look at the main routes back from the UK`s main ferry and airport terminals. This will add a large cost to going on leave.

The scheme would work by fitting a "black box" to cars and lorries which tracks journeys using a satellite system.

Many are already fitted with GPS navigation and this would be extended.
Although they would probably argue that these box`s are passive no doubt the potential is there for some form of "tracking". Im not going to use "civil liberties" as an excuse but the next step is getting a speeding fine through the post becuase you were tracked for 100 miles doing 74mph etc.

Hopefully this will be another one of those schemes that fails to get off the ground, however it will have cost a lot of public money first. Just who do they have as advisors coming up with plans which have had no real balance of input!

This is the best suicide note from a political pary since the 1979 Labour manifesto that proposed unilateral nuclear disarmament. This county has a fetishistic love of cars. No one will pay £1 a mile to drive on roads that have always been free. Come on you Tories. Actually oppose this rubbish and you will win the next election by a landslide.

It will be £1.34 on the busiest motorways according to the news tonight. Imagine that, 100 miles will cost more than the present road tax for a year in my car.

I pity the younger lads who like to go home at a weekend to see their folks or the guys that serve away from their wives. This lunacy could become very very expensive. But like you said Muso, political suicide.

Who VOTED for this bunch of parasites? Tax Tax and more Tax!

Welcome to the new TAX AND SPEND PARTY folks. You give it they spend it on Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan.Aye Vote Labour,oops you already have.

mussolini93 said:
This is the best suicide note from a political pary since the 1979 Labour manifesto that proposed unilateral nuclear disarmament. This county has a fetishistic love of cars. No one will pay £1 a mile to drive on roads that have always been free. Come on you Tories. Actually oppose this rubbish and you will win the next election by a landslide.
Notwithstanding the importance of perception in polititcs but "free at the point of use".

Another proposal that will hit rural communities far harder than urban ones.

Is'nt it a strange thing that this little item wasn't mentioned before the elections??

Who writes their script? Remember the average motorist does somewhere in the region of 10-12000 miles per year. This is a conservative estimate of course. Picture the scene if your a taxi driver/lorry driver/sales man etc...

Blair, take yourself around the corner and give yourself a good kick up the arrse.....

YOU TWAT

Don't be so naive children.

This is simply a GordonScareStory that is intended to make us feel grateful when he merely raises fuel duty in a year's time.

I wonder if prescots two jags will have a tracker in them.

A bloody gps system will cost more that my bloody rot box. I will go to ireland buy a car and bring it over here to drive on the ever so quiet roads.

the cost of implimenting a plan will be far more than id cards or congestion charge or any other tech based hair brained scheme.

I hate this government and have been telling myself this all day, i cant belive that some of my friends and piers actually think TB is doing a good job. It shows their ignorance and apathy something that is rife in this countries population. Maybe this is the kick in the pants the marginal voter needs to put us back in the hands of a government that does not beleive in "taking from the mildly better off, in ways that they don't realise"

Two jags tracker yeh for sure, be free as will road charges for all MPs serving and retired and folks on income support and unmarried mothers, illigals Oh all useful citizens.
Anyone out the cuntry for more then three months a year, No excuses, will recieve double charge.
john

"PublicTransport" isn't an alrenative where I live & with the way my business works, so they can stick this proposal in the file marked "Stupid Ideas that might work in London" & leave it there. :x

And of course there would be no way of blocking/interrupting the GPS signal reception? It's a generally poorly thought through idea.

What wold be a better option is the introduction of Toll roads (See the French "Peage (sp?)" system for an example that works. £1 a mile or more is extorsionate. I'd put money on this scheme never coming to fruitition.

Let's hope so. Leaving aside the prices (and the environmental whammy of charging a car that does 55mpg the same as one that does 10), I'm not keen on the idea of a black box that tells the Government - or worse yet some private company - exactly where I drive and when.

link it in with the id scheme and they can charge fat people lots if they try to drive to the chip shop :) .mad idea which wont work :) but will cost us loads.

Another reason to emigrate.

Fuel in Oman cheap as chips. No surpise there really.

Mind you not that many roads about to be charged on here.

Actually use my 4x4 in anger every now and then.

It's just a trick to get us into the "eventually we'll end up paying" frame of mind. Then when they do eventually do something we'll all think "That wasn't so bad was it?" Politics. Simple really.

You will see more and more of this sort of thing, especially around taxing travel. Unfortunately, toll roads are already with us and people are already paying at the point of use to drive the Birmingham M6 Toll. Everyone who uses it today is making it easier for them to extend "the hugely successful M6 Toll Road" to the rest of the system.
What is needed is a boycott but that aint going to happen. So get ready to pay more tolls.

Remember, every time someone says "the government should do something" our taxes will rise. We should hear more "the government should keep its nose out" then they'd have less excuse to tax us.

Another thought - How much is the infrastructure for this going to cost? How are they going to enforce it? How do you ensure that the kit simply isn't disconnected? If you test are the roadside for it to be working, how can they PROVE that the thing isn't simply on the blink or had a comms error (has anyone got completely hastle free internet?)?

The pillocks should stop listening to over-paid consultants to come up with theses dumb, unworkable and expensive schemes. The answer is simple - ditch the road tax, put the cost of that on to fuel duty (I know it's unfair on rural commuters but I thinks it's the best of the bad systems, at least it taxes the people who use the roads most). Use systems that enforced the road tax to monitor MOTs and insurance coverage. It's simple and uses fewer civil servants.

This may get shouted down but it seems to make sense to me.

Why dont we scrap road tax and all the other gubbins that we pay for the 'privilidge' of driving, and instead implement a system of fuel duty 9yes i know we already pay taxes on fuel).

This way, those that use the most fuel (larger inneficient cars such as hummers) pay far more than those with clean and efficient cars. This would help cut down on our need for oil, whilst helping to cut polution. Sort of a pay as you go taxation scheme.

Despite this, i realise that any scheme like this is open to manipulation by the govt of the day, but hey ho, hasnt it always been that way?

Why bother with any pretence? The revenue from car and fuel tax has never been spent wholly on transport/road/environment anyway so why are people thinking this scheme has anything to do with the roads?

It is never going happen anyway. There isn't a nation on the planet that has ever even considered anything this radical and it would fall flat on it's face under Human Rights privacy legislation alone.

No, it's a distraction story. Look behind the headlines, what else is happening today?

I'd agree with that AS. My granny, who uses her car once a week for the big shop, would hardly pay a thing. Clowns driving 60 liter penis extensions at 100 mph would get hammered!!!

Discard road tax, add to the petrol about 1p per liter and jobs a good one. No change in revenue. Then plough cash in to the public transport. Electric trams, trains that can carry cars.

Then link up the big cities first, so instead of driving goods or cars from manchester to london or glasgow they go by train. once system is up and running, toll road all moterways. Been thinking about how to get cars on and off easiet but perhaps cranes as long as the carrage or carrages to lift cars off the train, like when they lift a car that's illegally parked. Connect to chunnel (infact try to put the whole system underground) and jobs a good one.

Clean and efficient. Are you morons in westminster reading this? No wonder we're not going to get the olympics. would the stadium be built? Or would it be held in the nearest inner city comp on the sports pitches that were sold for a houseing estate?

Also, road labour crews should work 24/7 from the moment the first cone is laid to the moment the last one is lifted. (obviously in shifts) in order to keep our roads clear. And a bit of thought would be nice. I've seen cones being laid on the friday prior to a bank holiday monday. Who's bright ideas are those.