Proposed education reforms

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trick, May 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

While a good idea it needs to be backed up by other things as well. Like getting a curiculem set by educators not Ivory Tower mongs with no knowledge of the real world. And making it harder for so called "teachers" to swing the lead and take 6 months off with stress- this aint a random moan. I saw itr happen in two schools while I was training to be a teacher. It happens far more than it should

And finaly bring in a proper discipline framework as well. The sooner people realise that these "beautiful and unique snowflakes" are becoming feral because they are never given a hard limit to what they can get away with the better. The above reasons are why I have decided to bang out of teaching altogther.

2. Seems to me there are three areas, that as Tax payers we spend shed loads on a year, Education being one of them and there seems to be no real accountability, if they were businesses they would have gone the way of Rover, British Leyland ages ago, there are too many faceless civil servants in Whitehall making to many decision without much thought of the real world consequences

so regards costs, are they really kept under control and under the same sort of preasure as defence???

3. Trans-sane

As it happens, good teachers are leaving the profession in droves. Lots of new blood is training to be a teacher and like me banging out either durring training or withing 3 years of qualifying. Most of the ones that are staying are good teachers with only a few years till retirement or the jargon spewing zombies that are partisan for either the DfES or one of the unions.

4. It is my firm opinion that state education standards in the UK are now at laughable levels.

Combine that with universities that offer such useful degrees as 'Media Studies" and I even hear 'David Beckham Studies!!'.

Check out these maths exam questions.

The Chinese one is for students before they are even accepted to uni; the second is from a British uni for 1st year students.

Now tell me where you reckon UK plc will be in a 10 years time?

[b]LINK[/b]

5. I find it hard to believe that teachers are not at fault, and i'm not interested in hearing all the usual shit about them being hard working and dedicated. It's a wage.

Teachers are trying to tell us that classes are overcrowded, they are underpaid, etc etc etc. And the situation is so bad that exam results have never been higher! Something stinks.

Remember those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

6. Could go either way.

As things stand, we'll slip further and further behind the rest of the world. Increasing numbers of companies and skilled individuals will join the 'taxodus', emigrating to low tax countries. A tipping point will come if the City of London decamps to New York. The government will see an immediate 30% drop in income.

The next Tory government will need to deal with the mess in the same way that Thatcher dealt with Labour's mess in 1979. Frankly, Dave's no Thatcher. I doubt he has the cajones to deal with riots that will come from forcing chavs back to work and the strikes that will come from swingeing cuts to the civil service.

Who cares. 10 years from now I hope to be in the intensive care wing of the Rest Home for Bewildered Matelots wearing my pyjamas 24/7 and writing outraged letters to the Times about how the Royal Navy should bring back flogging.

7. Trans-sane

As I said cabbage lots of the good and dedicated teachers are running like their arrse is on fire, leaving the old and tired and the political hacks who either believe the party and union lines, or can play the system.

Looking at the two questions I answered the British uni ones in about 3 seconds in my head. The Chinese one, I am insufficiently familiar with the notation to have a crack at it. It could be a case of picking a realy hard chinese question and an easy english question, but I doubt very much that explains it all.

8. Oh FFS

They were happy until der funpolizei got all H&S on their arrses and flogged off the playing fields to Tescos.

Kids need ejukating in the following:

English Language: Screw Literature. They can go down that route once they've learnt to actually read in the first place.

Maths: This is the negro in the cutting shed for me, as not everyone has aptitude for it... including m'self. But they should be able to learn enough to survive and problem solve.

The Sciences: Chemistry, Biology and Physics. That way they should have a grasp of what we are, who we are and why we are.

Geography:... and where we are.

History: Learn it, 'cause it has a nasty habit of repeating itself. It's also damn bloody interesting.

A Foreign Language: It doesn't matter which. Any will do, but Chinese, Arabic and Hindi might come in handy.

All of the above to 60s era O Level standard. Anything other than that and it's A Levels at college and on to Uni if they have the aptitude. And any nonsense and it's off to a penal battalion doing foot patrols in Basra.

That's it. No Meeja Studies, Namibian Mime Theatre, Ethnic Dance et al. If they're interested in that they can do it in their own time at their own expense. Trust me. we'll have a nation of Bright Young Things in six years.

9. I used to do similiar questions to that chinese one in my gcse course. It's just the media putting spin on things (although that one is harder, its not much more advanced)

10. Or rather how they should bring back the Royal Navy! 8O

11. They can do the bold later. We're talking 4 - 7 year olds here. At that age they should be taught maths, english, and a foreign language (or remedial English if they're foreign and need it). The knowledge of foreign languages in the UK is really quite appalling. When I was in Brunei my youngest borther and a friend of about 6/7 who could speak, Dutch, German, French, some scandanavian language and a bit of Malay.
    History at that age should consist of visiting a castle or cool museum, to foster their interest (and explaining rememberance day).
    Chem and bio at that age is going to be a waste. Perhaps teach 'em a bit about the solar system.

The best proposal I think is the new term/holiday recomendations.

12. Thinking back to school, Maths was a key subject for me, as I planned (or rather hoped to go on to Further Education and then a degree then commission OR commission then degree.

Yet the standard of Maths teaching was awful. No whole class teaching, just individual kids going through a series of work cards and booklets (anyone else use the Kent Mathematics Project), in a very hit and miss way that meant you could miss major areas. I blame this damn system for the fact I didn't do as well as predicated. But what really pissed me off was how teachers' time was devoted to the real brainboxes, or to those who could cope at all. Those in the middle, who with a little help would have achieved much more, were forgotten. Very PC perhaps, but not very helpful. Regrettably this crap system meant I missed out on the required grade by a whisker, had to do GCSE retakes (which really depressed me) and then struggled when I started doing A level Maths. I soon changed to do a BTEC National Diploma in Engineering (A level standard, though not quite as deep, however it made up for this in width and the workload was quite high). Here I had the best Maths teacher/lecturer I ever had - an ex Rolls Royce Engineer.

My weakness in this area led to my degree not being as good as it should, and possibly contributed to my career woes. I didn't get the commission either!

Going to another point, another reason I under performed was the amount of grief I got from others. You try being a kid with a damaged brain and messed up co-ordination, it ain't much fun. Nobody ever considered the possibility that it wasn't my fault I got left out of things, never got picked for teams, never went to parties, etc. All they did was label me a loner! And yes, when I got spat at for not being able to catch a ball I was made to apologise. Yet the kids who picked on me were generally wasters, always in trouble, lazy, yet they were allowed to get away with it. Why? Because it was considered unfair to enforce rules on those who have problems following rules. When a known trouble maker stole a craft knife he prompted attacked me with it on the school bus. I considered a knife attack to be just too much, and promptly reported it, but the school did nothing. Likewise when I got picked on verbally the miscreants never got told off, but I did if I responded.

So a firm but fair system of discipline is a must. The lack of this resulted in me being told to say sorry to those who had just beaten me up/spat at me/etc didn't do me any good at all - in the long run the lack of confidence or social skills has been a killer career wise, a major social handicap, and I've found relationships nigh on impossible. Perhaps I should pluck up the courage to seek help..........

"He has a right to education" was something I often heard. Funny how nobody ever mentioned my right to not get gobbed at, or slashed with a knife etc etc etc. This was the late 80s/early 90s - and are now the ASBO generation.

Forgive me for my rant, but one of the results of the above is that I despise the superficial. Yet the superficial dominates!

So to sum up.....

1. Concentrate on those who will do well if helped, not those who will do well if helped or not, and those who will not do well no matter how much help they receive.
    2. Firm but fair discipline.

Rant over! For now....

13. back teachers up
    if your chav like spawn can't behave in school **** off and learn how to get a child to behave.

14. On this subject and keeping roughly to thread, I see that David Blunkett has waded in yet again on CEA, aided and abbetted by Sky (see todays Sky Website). Excellent, fact-based counter-battery fire from military and FO types in the comments section, but it gets my goat that this is sort of "class envy" stuff is raked up now of all times - has NU Labour learned nothing from the disastrous impact playing the class card had at Crewe not a week ago?

Moreover, the inaccuracy of his comments says more about why he failed as Education Secretary (he should have been pretty familiar with this brief if he had read his in-tray properly then) than about the allowance. It also suggests that when in office, "class" meant more to him than education of our children.

The fact is that Labour hates the independent education sector and blames it for the failure of the state system. The more relatively successful the private education sector, the greater their failure. Worst of all, private schools remain buoyantly healthy despite everything NU and Old Labour has done to destroy them. It galls them even more to be forced to provide independent education to members of the public sector - ironically those they like least!

In part, Labour is right. As George Walden, a Tory, once pointed out, with the vast majority of the wealthy and achieving in Britain educating their children privately (or in the best "post-code" state schools), there is no real incentive at the top of society to improve universal education. Yet Labour themselves destroyed the greatest challenge to the independent sector - the Grammar School.

The way to tackle the problem, perhaps, is not petty attacks such this, but to accept that for state education as a whole to prosper, academic streaming is a necessity, not an evil. That done, the less gifted then receive the same attention as the brightest (arguably the Achilles Heel of the 1960s Grammar School system).

Being really radical - how about (single-sex?) universal weekly boarding for all 11-18 year olds (grouped across each UK region but not local to given postcodes)? Strict standards, social background left at the door. Just a thought....