Proposed alcohol ban on public transport

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fozzy, Oct 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Seems a blanket ban is in the offing as part of the "crackdown" on chavvery. Speaking as one who
    a) Enjoys a drink when on a long train journey (I'm a fequent GNER user)
    b) In his youth would drink with his mates on the train on the way home on leave (it was part of the fun). We never knowingly upset anyone.

I feel this is a one step too far. One of life's pleasures is knocking back a good claret/bottle of Adnams whilst watching the countryside whizz past from the comfort of the train.

Surely if existing laws and bye laws were enforced, then there would be no need for this? Interested in what our friends in law enforcement feel on this one.
    (edited for spelling)
  2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The fact drink causes 90% of our problems on the railway, in the way of low level disorder and assaults, I would welcome it. Its all well and good enforcing existing laws and byelaws, the simple act of banning alcohol on transport would be a bonus.

9 times out of 10 a group of youths at a station drinking would have the usual sad over 18 'pied piper' who negates the removal of alcohol from the group persay. Its sad we cannot deal with the problems instantly. We have to build up evidence for ASBO's and get results to get a person catorgorized as a persistant young offender.

I am sure people will just quote 'nanny nazi state, etc etc' but if you want to travel on transport without any harrassment and problems, then ban drink anywhere on the transport network. The only people who will have problem with it are those who would like to do it.
  3. Speaking in a similar capacity as Ventress, I dont think the ban should be focused on chaps like yourself Foz, a long distance train journey with a nice beer or glass of vino is cracking.

But groups of tossers on the tube, or suburban rail services between sh1tty bits of the capital are in need of harsh measures.

and theres no need to drink on a bus.
  4. Will this mean an increase of police recruitment? That is if the tackling of drunken individuals or groups is not left to the bus drivers, train/tube staff, etc. Its either that or the transport networks taking on the equivalent of 'club doormen' to accompany each bus, car or carriage which might mean increase fares, lessening of services, etc etc

I can see both sides here. Good idea on principle, but a lot of youngsters use the public services to get home from the clubs, pubs and so on. I can imagine the headlines of some girl being attacked on her way home because she was turfed off a bus for having 'just one glass of wine'. Easy answer is to keep your arse home but it is unlikely that this train of thought will be used. That said, even in daylight hours, I've been accustomed to shoving some fully-piffed oik's head off my shoulder whilst in my seat.

Seems odd though that one hand is giving each town's centre the licence to sell alcohol 24 hrs a day and the other hand in complaining about the effects of people over consuming on alcohol on public transport. One is flipping feeding the problem of the other!
  5. I'm sure Ventress and Hogspawn make good points, but I dislike the heavy-handedness of this. Will you be allowed to have a glass of wine on the Eurostar in the restaurant, or will Tony's Nanny State forbid me because some chavs three carriages up can't behave themselves?

New Labour are beaving increasingly like school teachers: "If one of you misbehaves then you must all be punished."

However, I don't think alcohol should be allowed on aircraft for obvious safety reasons. Anybody who has experienced a charter flight to the Med will know what I mean.

The rest of this "Respect Agenda" looks pretty desperate too. "Respect Sheriffs" and all that? Ha ha ha, this is Blair's "Cones Hotline" moment, isn't it?

6. What would be the point of using the train at all if you couldn't have a drink or two? You might as well drive, it would be much cheaper.
  7. more resources to deal with anoying groups of trouble makers would help then.

but on crowded suburban trains - multi-stop high frequency services, not Eurostar or long distance expresses etc- you cant really have a relaxing drink anyway, theyre too packed and stop every 2mins, the only people drinking on them are groups of p1ssed up lads, or kids.

Same for buses, especially night buses.
  8. Surely if its on Buses and underground ie quick trips. the lashed gits are already lashed and not letting them drink will not sober them up between stops.

Longer haul train journeys are made for drinking, perhaps only alcohol bought on the train could be consumed (The price would definitely stop the majority drinking)

Perhaps "Policing" or "Guarding" the trains and train stations would be a cunning plan. How many lashed chav"s have paid for a ticket?

Crap rules, badly thought out or knee jerk generally don"t enhance a situation, just tie up resources and divert attention from the real issues.
  9. This will all end in tears, if it gets past the drawing board.

You can bet whatever you like that the chav scum will still smuggle their extra-strength lager or cider on board and drink whenever the conductor isn't looking. The train staff will probably turn a blind eye to avoid abuse.

However, for the rest of us that enjoy a glass (or bottle) of wine to ease the journey, we will find the full weight of the state thrown against us if we dare to transgress.

A solution may be to ban the consumption of pre-bought alcohol (cases of wife-beater etc) and to only permit the consumption of alcohol supplied by the buffet. The onus would be on the train staff not to serve anyone who is p!ssed and being a nuisance. I found the wine on the Kings-Cross to Edinburgh service (sampled twice every fortnight over a 2 year posting) to be reasonable in terms of price and qualitly, particularly as the larger bottles were cheaper per unit of volume!

Even in the latter case, there is nothing to prevent the usual suspects from getting tanked up before boarding the train.

As usual, this is a complete nonsense. The laws must be in existence already to deal with drunken troublemakers instead of making the rest of us suffer. I imagine it is a case of too few resources and too much paperwork. However, I can't see this ill-thought out policy ever becoming law, particularly as parliamentary time is likely to be at a premium during the Dear Leader's twilight years.
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Oh, because we dont spend most of our shifts doing this.......oh and in answer to your question, none have a ticket, but thats another story.