Property Buying

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by in_the_cheapseats, Dec 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I thought I'd have the pleasure of posting the first thread in this Forum. :D

Buying your first property is always a worrying time. With changing rules and, to date, ever increasing prices, times have been hard on the first time buyers trying to get a leg on the ladder.

Now people are talking about a property slow down; some talk of a crash. The money is out on which it will be but the odds are on one or the other as there is a general view that the days of the big rises have come and gone. With the current worries in the banking industry and sub-prime market, they are unlikely to reappear anytime soon.

Some sites to look at:

See here for the Citizens Advice Bureau site. It is a good place to start and tackles things in a logical order.

Try Here for those that want Government advice. Admittedly the colour scheme will make your eyes bleed but again the information is good. :D

There is one site that I expect to get more populated in the coming period. To help you search for a bargin, (remembering that the market may still have a way to fall), have a look at this site:

Anyone else got sites they can suggest?
  2. Don't you just walk in to a showroom, point at a pic of a house and say

3. in_the_cheapseats

:roll: :D IF you have more money than sense, I suppose you can. Sadly I don't fall into that catagory!
  4. Having just sold my house today and not needing to buy another one until next year, can I vote for an enormous crash in property prices over the next 8 months or so?
  5. Seen today's rightmove figures - London ask prices down 6.8% in one month.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

Full report via Here

All largely thanked by the balls up of HIPs. However, even without their effect, 4.5% is still pretty poor going.
  7. Interesting how they never try to explain away a gain - they never say, "An increase in the number of larger properties coming onto the market has inflated averager prices"!

Also interesting how they annualise gains, but not losses. They suggest your house will double in a year by annualising growth, they never suggest it will be worthless by annualising falls. :)
  8. I'd vote for as the easiest way to look for a house - set it by the area you want or size or anything else - helps you 'watch' the market and see what places have been on for an age.
  9. Am hoping to buy a flat in Zone 2, Central London shortly. Given that its difficult to narrow down your search geographically as any property may be listed by various agents as being in 4 different areas I have found really useful.

10. I struggled with most multiple listing property websites, as most seem to have complicated search systems that often end with "Nothing Matches Your Search" or similar... the most useful I found is the UK Estate Agents site as it has clear descriptions and links directly to estate agents.
  11. Buy, buy, buy to let. I expect a flat period for prices ( Maybe a few % drop and in 4/5 yrs it'll steadly grow at the average (over 30 yrs) of 7%.) I own property but still would like a 30 % drop, then i can buy more for my money. Forget the renovation at the entry end (2 bed terrace) there's no money in it (unless you've let it out for many yrs) The value in south yorkshire and North east derbyshire is above 300k.
  12. in_the_cheapseats

Another site that looks good and has a simplified search linked to a mapping system.

13. I understand we (MoD personnel) are now considered key workers everywhere (not just London) and as such are eligible for the Key Worker Living Programme

Key Worker

I would be grateful for opinion on advantages and disadvantages of the scheme.