Property; 1 hour from London

Bris

LE
Hi ladies/gents,

I'm looking at buying myself a bachelor pad, somewhere within 1 hour [motorbike] commute of Canary Wharf. I'm looking at a 2 bed place, budget up to £200k. Ideally with covered parking or garage.

Any ideas? I'm already sniffing around Rochester, bug anyone know anywhere else that's not entirely scummy to live?

Cheers,

B

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Even with a motorbike you will not make more than 20mph average through East London (traffic lights every 200m)
Avoid Rainham, Grays etc like the plague, they are total sh!t holes.

You might get lucky in Billericay or Brentwood or maybe up towards Epping.

Stay North of the river or be prepared to pay for Dartford crossing etc.

Bris

LE
Luckily, I come in early; getting in to the City NLT 0630 - although traffic is building it's not too mental by then. I had a quick look around Dartford, it looked utterly wanky. I'm still fairly young (a mere whippersnapper - early 30's) so would like somewhere with a decent social scene.

I don't ask for much, do I?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Stay away from the Medway towns. Maybe look at somewhere like Redhill. Good rail links into town, just about to get a lot of redevelopment (so get in quick) and socially Reigate's nearby. Also good links for Gatwick and Heathrow.

Bris

LE
Buy a liveaboard boat, put in South dock marina, next to canary wharf, job jobbed.
I'd love to; but i'm scared of being molested by the Canary Wharf Seal. And the docking [none-homosexual variety] fees would probably crucify me!
_85076570_2011_mar_grey_morganstanleybuilding_bernaberkmen.jpg

Hi ladies/gents,

I'm looking at buying myself a bachelor pad, somewhere within 1 hour [motorbike] commute of Canary Wharf. I'm looking at a 2 bed place, budget up to £200k. Ideally with covered parking or garage.

Any ideas? I'm already sniffing around Rochester, bug anyone know anywhere else that's not entirely scummy to live?

Cheers,

B
Rochester will get you on the high speed train to Stratford and DLR run to work - much more reliable and quicker. Alternately, look at Canterbury and again HS train. The commute is shite by road no matter what you're on and Blackwall gets closed with alarming regularity.

Poppy

LE
a colleague assures there there are some nice parts of South Croydon

Bris

LE
Rochester will get you on the high speed train to Stratford and DLR run to work - much more reliable and quicker. Alternately, look at Canterbury and again HS train. The commute is shite by road no matter what you're on and Blackwall gets closed with alarming regularity.
True; but including fuel, parking, a service & tyres for a year, it still works out significantly less (£1500+ annually) to go by bike!

True; but including fuel, parking, a service & tyres for a year, it still works out significantly less (£1500+ annually) to go by bike!
The stress is what gets you though, save £1500 and die early ;-)

Edit to add that Rochester can get like Dodge of a night, have you looked at Maidstone?

Bris

LE
The stress is what gets you though, save £1500 and die early ;-)
I'm going to die early through my own stupidity anyway; may as well spend the money I have on fast bikes & faster women (there may be directly related to the cause of death...)

the docking fees would probably crucify me!
You might be pleasantly surprised. You could but a 10m yacht and probably live there for less than 5k a year. It's well worth looking into.

Try a Southerly 100 @ c40k for starters. If I can offer any help or advice, please PM me.

Last edited:

Bris

LE
Thanks for the advice, but....i'm not living on a bloody boat! I'm a land mammal & although hairier than your average Otter, have no intention of crawling back to the Oceans!!

Thanks for the advice, but....i'm not living on a bloody boat! I'm a land mammal & although hairier than your average Otter, have no intention of crawling back to the Oceans!!
You may change your mind when you cost it out. There is another benefit in that you will instantly become a grizzled old sea dog and thus irresistible to the fairer sex. A single friend of mine lives aboard in Southampton and is never alone.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Even with a motorbike you will not make more than 20mph average through East London (traffic lights every 200m)
Avoid Rainham, Grays etc like the plague, they are total sh!t holes.

You might get lucky in Billericay or Brentwood or maybe up towards Epping.

Stay North of the river or be prepared to pay for Dartford crossing etc.

Grays.

The only place where I have both lived and worked that managed to live down to its name.

Avoid Chafford Hundred. It's Grays with Harvester pubs (and not much else).

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
a colleague assures there there are some nice parts of South Croydon

You typed that with a straight face.....

Take to the canals, £1000 p/a licence fee for a 70 ft'er. No mooring fee if you move mooring place every 14 days, or towpath moorings ( cheap), or marinas ( not so cheap).