Proper Officers! - merged rupert discussions

Civilian_ln_Green said:
i don't think i need to explain my view point on this thread. It is something i have been trying to promote for a long time.

A-E-O please do continue your crusade for breeding, background and (by default) etiquette and manners.

The British Army Officer is an elite individual and anything (and by that i mean anyone that has ever lived in a terraced house, attended a comprehensive school or smothers their food on tomato ketchup) that waters down that standing is utterly, utterly wrong.

i certainly hope that when i get to Sandhurst there are no common types i might have to speak with.
I certainly don't think you will meet many "common types" CiG, rather chaps from a greater mixture of backgrounds than perhaps you were expecting!
Some will almost certainly find themselves uncomfortable with the higher standards expected from the Sandhurst Cadet and will have some difficulty adjusting to life as an officer. I am sure that you will take these poor fellows under your wing and show them the correct form on how to behave.
Good luck CiG!

junior_RLC said:
being a cadet iv worked with cadets in the CCF on courses. i must say what a complete and utter bunch of wan*ers!!! not all but a huge majority could not find their way out of a sack!!! stuck up, bone idle, lots of good education, but shite all common sense!!!

aah yes, when I was in the CCF I did courses with lots of ACF types.

They provided an excellent oppotunity to practice leadership on the genuine lower orders rather than the remove chaps and came from exciting and vibrant places like Smethwick.

All pretty foul offcourse but at least we could find staff for our mess.

Trotsky

REMEMafia said:
You may not have noticed, particularly if you're in a fine regiment and have been self extracted from the real world since passing RCB, but.....
No-one in civi street gives a f**k if you're an Army Officer or not, and certainly does'nt give a Flying F**k whether you're in the RLC or the 1st Regiment of Royal Horse Shaggerso . WAKE UP people its not the 1940s anymore.

You should concentrate on doing you're job well and not on what colour cords you wear or which school you went to. All that means F**K in on the both the battlesfield and to the normal people in civi land.
:evil:
You don't like cords do you?

Previous statement
Edited and removed on the grounds of decency by Ard-Elly-o

I wear yellow cords, checked shirt and cravat, red socks and brown shoes with my Barbour jacket by the way! Jolly fine I look too!!

RotaryPongo said:
Well, I couldn't believe your first post, I thought it had to be a joke (the Raj is dead by the way).

You hark about a time when being an officer was about status and little more. It is now, rightly, about being good at your job and being a true leader in the finest Army in the world.

I had the honour to serve with an fine infantry Regiment on ops and there are some of the types, very obviously like you, who treat the Army as something to increase their personal standing with daddy and other Londonites. The best officers there were the ones who were absolutely not like that.

Basically, what you fail to miss, is that if I spoke to your Sgt, he would tell me the men think you're a * and that you are not a good officer. Not because you drink Pimms without a finger raised but because you're completely out of touch with the men and worse, you're probably not very good at your job....which is obviously either Recce or Infantry.

The Army is here to do a job, not provide you with privilege. You're here to provide the men with the leadership and tactical ability that you should be bringing to the party. THAT IS WHY YOU ARE COMMISSIONED, not to go to drinks parties and tell each other how posh you are. So what you should ask is.....how do we get the best officers? You assume that being posh makes a difference. Yes it does it does. It usually makes you a poor officer in the ways that matter.
My dear fellow, you make so many presumtions! I rarely drink Pimms, and certainly not before mid-day!
Why should the fact that if one speaks, dresses and behaves properly as an officer, one should be any less able to command or earn the respect of the men compared to someone with a similar background and accent to the men?
Perhaps you have a slightly predjudiced opinion of certain types of chap. I am afraid it is the Equal Opportunities course for you my man!!

Dirty Sanchez said:
You don't like cords do you?
He doesn't, does he Dirty S! The poor man wishes to discriminate against ME because of the colour of my cords, yet gets all heated because I mention standards!

CGS

War Hero
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please watch your language and sentiment in this forum! If you must resort to foul language and fighting I shall be forced to remove the thread and post it into the NAAFI.

Remember, this is the Mess and should be treated as such!

If in doubt, then please reacquaint yourself with the Mess rules in the first instance, then PM me at your convenience

CGS

Well well well, seems A-E-O is getting a little hot under the collar, understandable as the truth does hurt, but still for someone who preaches restraint, not to mention manners, seems he can flare like the rest of us.

[/quote]Try not to feel threatened by a proper officer with the right background who happens to speak with what you define as a "plummy" accent

I fear its you who feels threatened.

Oxbridge do not accept "stupid c****" in, or pass "stupid c**** out" through their hallowed doors. The Royal Military Academy of Sandhurst also does not allow "stupid c****" in, or pass out stupid c****, as officers!

Now I know you are living in cloud cuckoo land :lol:

And the moderator having to step in tut tut,
I know I am repeating myself but, A-E-O, you REALLY are starting to show your true colours.

tigger_c/s_30 said:
Well well well, seems A-E-O is getting a little hot under the collar, understandable as the truth does hurt, but still for someone who preaches restraint, not to mention manners, seems he can flare like the rest of us.
And the moderator having to step in tut tut,
I know I am repeating myself but, A-E-O, you REALLY are starting to show your true colours
OK everyone! This is obviously quite an emotive subject and passions (and prejudices!) are being exposed on both sides of the argument!!

Let us continue with reasoned debate and refrain from personal abuse or inflammatory remarks not befitting this board. Profanities are not welcome and I apologise if I have retaliated in kind but I was always taught the following:
"Never demand an eye for an eye, take an arm and a leg and an eye! for an eye"

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
A-E-O, how many bites do you want from this thread? Not only do you retaliate in kind, but to fish for bites. Or are you suffering from a multiple personality disorder? I read the comment you placed on the poll set up asking if you were proud to be a member of the British Army, you used reasoned arguements and experience to demonstrate a point. something not shown much in this thread...

http://www.arrse.co.uk/html/modules.php?name=Surveys&op=results&pollID=3&mode=&order=0&thold=0

A jokes a joke but you're taking the piss a bit.

Ard-Elly-o said:
I feel slightly soiled actually replying to a Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers submission to this post as you are not really included in the Army any more. As I intend to thoroughly bathe afterwords, I shall graciously reply!
Please correct me if I am misinformed but was it not stated some years ago that REME were no longer "Soldiers First, Trademen Second" but were primarily tradesmen (and women). I believe your Corps graciously concedes to completing the mimimum standards of ITDs but other than that it is trade trade trade!
Well I was always brought up in the knowledge that tradesmen should use the rear entrance! I have no wish to comment further on the sexual preferences of your Corps!!
REME are now little better than civilians in uniform, very similar standards to the RAF. Clever, well educated engineering type chaps who are not really qualified to comment on leadership or the ability to command.
This is quite obviously not the correct board for these sort of comments.

I think you are lucky not to have had your comments edited or removed.

Please feel free to raise your views in the NAAFI, I'd be perfectly willing to partake in an intelligent exchange.

Right Ladies and Gentleman!
If I now accept (rather reluctantly I admit), that the Officer Corps, must, through necessity if not choice, allow someone of any background (including those with strong regional accents so long as they have the necessary academic qualification and hopefully leadership potential) to become Officers in the British Army.

(It all sounds like some sort of Stalinist plot, however let us assume that this is how it is or at least is to be!!)

Accepting that the "Officer" has all the values required to be efficient in the field in whatever Arm or Service or Regiment has been chosen for him. What standards should we cherish and uphold regarding behaviour, dress, table manners, etiquette, sports, guests in the mess and the other areas of life, formal and informal outside of uniform as officers?

Yes the Raj ended many years ago, and few have the fortune to be brought up with servants or indeed even dress for dinner in their own homes nowadays. Does this mean we should abandon some of our standards as Officers and Gentleman. Do we now believe that, regardless (or because) of background, we are no longer members of an elite and exclusive part of British Society.

Make the choice on what parts of being an officer is important because once we start chipping away at standards and traditions and change how we behave and what we believe, the accountants will get a sniff of saving some money from the Defence Budget and we will find ourselves standing in the Officers and Seniors Club with your pay as you dine ticket to get a cheeseburger. From some of the posts on this subject no doubt some would welcome it!

BFG9000 said:
This is quite obviously not the correct board for these sort of comments.

I think you are lucky not to have had your comments edited or removed.

Please feel free to raise your views in the NAAFI, I'd be perfectly willing to partake in an intelligent exchange.
Quite right I shall now edit and remove all of my offensive remarks from this board, request others do likewise!

Ard-Elly-o said:
Do we now believe that, regardless (or because) of background, we are no longer members of an elite and exclusive part of British Society.
From http://dictionary.reference.com/

A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior intellectual, social, or economic status
I am by no means what you would refer to as 'the right sort' however, I am confident I would beat you in any test of intellect and/or economic status.

Care for a game of Chess? IQ test? Financial Portfolio Comparison? Anything?

I think we have all heard enough of your nonsense.

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
...What standards should we cherish and uphold regarding behaviour, dress, table manners, etiquette, sports, guests in the mess and the other areas of life, formal and informal outside of uniform as officers?
Standards should be maintained to ensure the identity of the "officer corps" is maintained, and that involves the "...behaviour, dress, table manners, etiquette..."that you site. Traditions help maintain the identity of a regiment, brigade or corps and should be treated in such a way, they should not be followed because they have always been followed and nobody can work out why...

Do we now believe that, regardless (or because) of background, we are no longer members of an elite and exclusive part of British Society.
British society is no longer structured in the same way that this statement implies. I think that most (sadly not all) officers can be seen as dedicated professionals that deal with people and problems in an organisation that has an outstanding reputation for doing its job and doing it well. The concept of the social elite is faded and old.

You obviously don't like it, but it is true.

The Lord Flasheart said:
Sir, you are an arrse.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and one should never hesitate to offer compliments when due. Sir, I thank you for yours.
I am an Officer and Gentleman, and have been taught in the profession of war including (in no particular order):

Attack
Defense
Manoevre Warfare
Camouflage and Concealment
Crossing Obstacles
Deception Plans

Ard-Elly-o said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Sir, you are an arrse.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and one should never hesitate to offer compliments when due. Sir, I thank you for yours.
I am an Officer and Gentleman, and have been taught in the profession of war including (in no particular order):

Attack
Defense
Manoevre Warfare
Camouflage and Concealment
Crossing Obstacles
Deception Plans
He's on drugs has to be :lol: