Proper Medal for the wounded.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by badal, Nov 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When is the HD committee supported by government going to issue a proper medal to soldiers who have been seriously wounded in Afghanistan and other active recent campaigns? When I see some of these poor sods on TV with no arms legs or some even blinded from IED's and other actions in fire fights, and knowing all they have to show is a campaign medal, surely this is not correct.

What have other arrse subscribers to say on this matter?

2. I've not (yet) met anyone injured who thinks they should have a purple heart style medal.

• Like Like x 6
  3. I seem to remember that this has been discussed before, I'd ask one of those who has been seriously wounded and see if they actually want something like that.
    Personally I don't see the need for it, but then I still have all my limbs attached.

4. I think it is a ridiculous idea. Those that get injured have a reminder of their injury, why remind them more with a bit of bling?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They are a bit naff and slightly gay looking, but the Jerries had a rather natty bronze/silver/gold thing going on in WW2................

6. Probably a no. I can see your point, but to lose both your legs and then have some big wig saying "well doen old chap - here's a medal for losing your legs" might cause folk to rather spend that day in the pub.

Considering (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can't even buy an "I was injured in service" bling medal, unlike BAOR, NDM etc... I coan't see the MOD banging one out.

Also, if they did, the more of the "Injured on tour" medals that tipped up on Rememberance day year after year, might cause more issues with the general public.

7. Didn't the Army (navy as well) have wound stripes pre WW1?

8. You might have to define what constitutes being wounded.
    Most people agree those who have been maimed in the service of their country deserve some form of recognition, but do we want an American purple heart type of decoration which covers ingrowing toenails and grazed knees?

9. I'm with Escotia on this.

We, those lucky enough to be uninjured, are at risk of being accused of tokenism !

After WW1 the plan was to make a country fit for heroes. I suggest that such a plan is a better option.

If, in the alternative, we continue to be following the US in all too much, will a 'red white and blue heart' be issued to psych injuries too ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh look, yet another attempt to swell the already over subscribed, over emotional, over cooked tide of public opinion in order to get another story.

• Like Like x 2
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Can i have a stripe of brown material to recognise the terrible suffering of D&V?

• Like Like x 5
  12. If there's a scenario, you can bet there's a commemorative for it:

Hors de Combat Medal | Military Award for Sacrifices and Suffering

13. A medal for D&V could be a bright red star hanging from the brown ribbon (orange stripes to represent the carrot chunks and a thin band of bile green) the bar would be a slender bronze (unpolished)turd.

• Like Like x 3
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

That sounds like a thing of beauty! Rosettes or numerals for multiple incidents?

15. Rubbish idea! No-one would want to gain that medal, isn't that what medals are for? Something to aspire to, or to reward you for your service or bravery?