Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by bell559, Jan 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are promotions to higher rank based on qualifications such as GCSE, A levels etc.. ?

I know time of service is a part but thats all i know

Thanks for any info
  2. No, GCSEs, A Levels and degrees get you into the Army at a certain level providing you pass the selection boards. But only degrees will help you push onto the higher ranks, and only then in conjunction with other qualities and qualifications.

In order to be promoted, there has to be a vacancy (!), you have to be fully qualified for the next rank (in other words, have passed the necessary courses), have sufficient service (a minimum of 12 months in your current rank, and you need to have 24 months in hand before you retire) and be recommended in your latest confidential report (also known as "the CR").

The first bit (the vacancy) and the last bit are the most difficult!!! :D

And, of course, there is a recommendation for promotion and a recommendation for promotion!

3. Ok thanks for info Litotes!
  4. Sh*te I knew me and H_T_B was doing something wrong........I thought you just had to enter into the Xmas raffle :wink:
  5. Don't tell me, let me guess?

Your last CR said something like "Iron is a wonderful soldier and should promote in due course"?

6. More like THE_IRON has reached is ceiling and now waiting in the attic for the next few years till he reaches GO and collects his pension............unless we try and dangle the Veng carrot in front of the fat barstewards nose. :wink:
  7. I believe it is, I'm now a Regimental Sergeant Major and its all down to my GCSE in Needlecraft.
    It must be, as I've never worked a day during my Career!