Promotions

Roughly how long can you expect to spend in each rank as an officer? I read something about LTOS but can't find any more information. Obviously performance will play a part in it but could anyone give any speculation?

In outline and assuming you are a graduate:

2Lt - 1 Year (Paid as a Lt)
Lt - 18 months
Capt - 6 to 8 years
Maj - 6 to 8 Years

Non Grads will do 2 years as a 2Lt (and paid as one!), 3 as a Lt and then normal jogging. Cue much whinging about experience, seniority based on being pissed at uni etc etc.

S

Snoreador

What I have heard is that is to be unified across the three forces. Easy for green and dark blue, but harder for light blue due to them being 'speshul', hence the delay.

What I have heard is that is to be unified across the three forces. Easy for green and dark blue, but harder for light blue due to them being 'speshul', hence the delay.
What do you mean? Does all this mean that new grad officers will be payed less? Or that they won't benefit from having been to university?

S

Snoreador

I'm afraid I don't know the details, just that it has been requested by The Armed Forces Pay Review Body (AFPRB). I was also slightly wrong in my original statement, apparently the Navy have a more complicated pay structure than the Army too.

I was at PCCBC for CC112 about 3 weeks ago, and we were informed that the pay structure was unchanged (roughly £24000 for grads, £16000 for non-grads, can't remember the exact figures). Snoreador; any ideas when this new pay structure is going to be 'rolled out'?

Can anyone suggest or confirm whether with the change in seniorities etc grad pay will be brought down to non grad pay. Especially the meagre 15K at Sandhurst - thats a big difference!!!

I think if the change happens, it will mean that non grads will also be payed £24K.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read a short while ago information on the changes to the non-grad/grad officer roles. I interpreted it that the pay rates will stay the same for the foreseeable future, whereby grads will be paid at a higher rate (i.e. as a Lt when in the 2Lt rank) However, the usual 1 year as 2Lt for grads will be brought down to the non-grad level; overall meaning that grads will spend the same time in each rank as the non-grads.

I think if the change happens, it will mean that non grads will also be payed £24K.
Apologies on double post however, I greatly doubt that this would be true due to the nature of the cuts that the MoD are making currently. How on earth could they afford to up the wages of non grads to a grad level. That would be a stupid move, considering the MoD would be getting no benefit from this.

Apologies on double post however, I greatly doubt that this would be true due to the nature of the cuts that the MoD are making currently. How on earth could they afford to up the wages of non grads to a grad level. That would be a stupid move, considering the MoD would be getting no benefit from this.
I understand what you are saying, i guess its a valid point.

Further details of the Future Army Officer structure can be found on the following thread;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/officers/167160-changes-officer-career-structure-announced.html

For complete information, i would suggest speaking to your Careers Advisor and ask if they have a copy of the DIN you can have a look at (or if you are able, get on Defence Intranet), which has nicely coloured charts showing the expected timelines of promotion from RMAS through to Maj.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sam_Fisher Aviation 4
W Aviation 0
E AGC, RAPTC and SASC 12