Promotions Board

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Sgt_Sticky_Plaster, Jul 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me how long after the Promotions board meets to make it's decision, does this get told to those selected for promotion?

Is there a timescale or does it largely depend on the unit?
  2. You didnt get promoted
  3. I'm not asking about me
  4. They didnt either
    • Like Like x 2
  5. They pick them out of a hat.
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Back to sensible answers - If your unit has any sense at all they will not confirm the promotion until it has been ratified by Glasgow. How long that takes is anyones guess.
  7. Or maybe they are picked by a hat?
  8. All TA regts are mandated under TA Regs 1978 to hold at least one promotion board per rank every year (some do more), although a specific time of year is not mandated. Many units find it helpful to conduct the board whilst on annual camp. The report books (which contain all SJARs held on the soldier) for all eligible personnel will be sent to the Adjt or Chief Clerk a week or two before the date of the board for staff checking so that there are no surprises on the day. Eligibility is regimental/trade/rank specific. There is no one size fits everyone document for this, but your PSAOs will know as they will have received a calling notice, which explains them in detail.

The board must consist of a mix of regular and TA personnel and will usually (but not exclusively) consist of 5 marking members (BCs/QM/QM(T)/RSM/ROSO/RAO) one of whom must be the CO as President. One of the marking members must be "independent of the chain of Command" but we took this to mean the 2 i/c as he didn't have a vested interest in any particular promotion as he didn't write any/many of the reports.

Report books of each soldier (one rank at a time) are then circulated and scored in accordance with the criteria that is briefed by the secretary (usually the Adjt) before the start of the board. Scores (out of 10) are then read out at the end of the scoring phase, with the CO giving his score last in order to ensure his decision does not influence anyone else's score. Once scoring is complete for all ranks and the results submitted to the secretary, (s)he will collect all paperwork from all scoring members as this information is sensitive (the CO may choose to keep his scoresheets for reference). Each rank group is then placed in order of merit by score and the quality and promotion lines drawn onto the table.
    The promotion line is normally drawn at 25; so all those scoring 25 out of 50 or above will be considered of requisite quality for promotion. However, if there are more people above the quality line than there are spaces to promote into, then a quantity line must be drawn. E.g. if there are 8 LCpls score above 25, but there are only 6 Cpls slots, the top 6 are selected for promotion and the quantity line is drawn beneath the score of the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] soldier. This is for staff checking at APC as much as anything else.
    Once the secretary has collated the scores and run the results past the CO (normally within 24 hours of the board sitting) they will then send the results and supporting paperwork to the relevant Civil Servant at AOPC Glasgow for staff checking. This must be done within 10 days of the date of the board. Once the board results have been ratified (checked against JPA quals for instance), APC will notify the adjt by email and letter on a case by case basis whether or not they have permission to apply for the individuals promotion. This will normally take a week or so (if the CS is on leave, no one else will cover their desk, so the paperwork will just sit there), and then applications will be submitted at the behest of the Sub unit commander or CO depending upon the rank. These promotions can be applied for up to 364 days after the date of the board, as it’s up to the regt when to promote someone. However, it’s rare for anyone to delay a promotion (unless for disciplinary matters).
    In summary, it should normally take no more than a month from the board sitting to promotion being confirmed to the individual. It is your responsibility to know the eligibility criteria for your promotion (no one will mind if you ask).

If you need more, feel free to PM me. I probably won't be able to explain your eligibility criteria, but am confident as to the process.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Thanks for typing all of that in - I must admit, I just couldn't be bothered!
  10. No worries, slow day in the sandpit so I thought I'd go the extra mile. :salut:
  11. It comes down to competence at your role, fitness, deployability, etc etc.

What am I on about, it mainly comes down to if your face fits with the Company Commander!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It actually comes down to whoever writes the 1 and 2 RO bits on your OJAR/SJAR - the grades come from the 5 scoring members, some of whom will have barely met you. The only thing they have to go on is the contents of the report book.
  13. Back At RD,

That was a fantastic reply - many thanks, you explained it brilliantly.
  14. Does it really though? In a TA Regiment where the Company/Sqn Commanders sit on the Regtl Promotion board, I'd say that regardless of SJAR you're shit out of luck if theres a personality clash.