Promotion

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Gust.Avrakotos, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

This is a very general question, and i am just looking for some ball park figures, but how long would you say it takes to move up the ranks in the Int Corps?

I have been told by my recruiter today that you start as a Lance corpral after phase two (I assune this is correct?), but after that how long do you wait to get full Corpral? what about beyond that?

Something like

2 years lance to full corpral

5 years corpral to Sergent

8 years Sergeent to X Y Z wuld be great.

I am aware it all going to depend on how much you impress, and how hard you work, its just a general wondering I have had today, and I figure it will be good to know come my interviews.

2. Judging from what I've seen you'll be promoted every time you stop moving for more than 5 seconds.

3. Hi there GA.

You must come to terms with the correct spelling of the rank structure.

No big deal at this stage, as I assume that military terminolgy is new to

you. But it is important, learn it. Especially if you wish to join the Int.

Corps.

Apart from that, good luck.

4. What am I spelling wrong? Is Sergeant supposed to be Serjeant (this has always confused me in books I have read).

It is all new to me, not trying to cause any offence or anything.

5. Its spelt Corporal.

Your spelling of sergeant is correct (although your original post was spelt without the a).

Promotion will be in line with how good you are as a soldier. If you're shite, it will take longer to get to the next rank than if you are good. 3 yrs between promotion is pretty good going. Despite what people say, there are rules in place to stop people getting promoted too quick.

At the end of the day, don't get too hung up on promotion at this early stage. Concentrate on getting into the Army and getting through training.

Do all that, knuckle down in your job and keep your nose clean, if you deliver the goods, expect a good result from the board.

6. Ahhh Corporal, what a dunce! Thanks for that.

Thank you for your time all, been helpful.

7. Serjeant is how the rifles spell it, one of the many traditions large and small that you will realise the Army is full of! long may it remain.

8. Don't say that to Gravelbelly Senior. He was a Cpl when I was born, and made WO2 while I was 6...

(and was still a WO2 when I turned 16)

9. This is all very promising, sounds like if I get my head down I could make up the years I lost working in the crap job I have at the moment :)

One question for you all, I have been told that the WO2 rank is the best in the army, plenty of responsibility and respect, less of the paper work, would you agree with that?

Some family members keep saying I should get a few years under my belt but always have my eye on a commission. Trouble is I don’t really fancy the desk job/paperwork life.

10. I must be in perpetual motion :(

11. Not sure that any rank in the Army is immune from the curse of paperwork. As to which is the best rank, IMHO it would be Cpl then WO1.

12. Thats fortunate! 8)

13. http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/jobs/pages/JobDetail.aspx?armyjobid=INT400%2f409&category=4

An Operator Military Intelligence will normally be employed in the UK with some overseas postings, mainly on short-term (normally six months) operational deployments. Here you will have the opportunity to consolidate your training and gain valuable experience before attending a course to upgrade you to Class 1 Soldier. Promotion to Corporal and Sergeant is based on merit, qualifications gained in the Army and time served. The average time in each rank is three years, and you could normally expect promotion to Corporal at the end of your first tour (at the three-year point). As a natural part of career progression, all Op MIs who become Senior NCOs and Warrant Officers are expected to work in a supervisory capacity, where they will be responsible for the training and welfare of junior soldiers. All direct entry recruits can expect to reach WO2 rank, subject to their performance, and there is a good chance that you could be commissioned on a Late Entry basis. When you come to leave the Army, you will find that the professional experience, Army qualifications and leadership skills you obtained in the Intelligence Corps will make you highly employable in the civilian defence industry or intelligence community.

14. 8O :(

15. Are you getting your hopes up for the next board CR?