Promotion With The RAMC

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by dave11, Feb 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I'm ex infantry having served 5 year. I currently work in a hospital but I want to re join, but this time with the RAMC as a Combat Medic.

With the infantry i know for promotion we went away for X amount of weeks doing infantry skills etc etc. once passed you got your stripe.

Whats the score for the RAMC? is it the same? is it time served? what courses do you have to do for PTE>LCPL / LCPL>CPL / CPL>SGT and so on?

I currently waiting on Glasgow to see if i get the go ahead.

cheers x ^_^

2. Cheers Drivers_log. kind of guessed this, but wanted to ask anyway.

3. WRONG!!!!!

You will do your Class 3-2, go to your first unit and after a year, be able to attend your Class 1. Sometimes it can be quicker but do not assume promotion after the first course. It will be on merit, not your illustrious past.

4. so once training is completed your a class 3?

5. No - so long as you complete the Common Core Course, you will leave DMSTG as a Class 2.

6. So as a class 2 CMT what be would be day to day camp life be? Playstation days?? :) and to go to lcpl would you need to be class 1 ??

7. Day to day activity for the CMT2 and indeed the CMT1 at a Med Regt / Fd Hosp can often consist of: counting tents and ancillary's, painting boxes, counting magazines, moving boxes, cleaning weapons and everything and anything else you can think of that is as far removed from Medicine, or Healthcare as possible. Throw in a little moaning about the lack of clinical training with that too.

You usually have to have attained CMT1 prior to promotion to LCpl, however it isn't unheard of to see Class 2's pick up.

What do you do currently at the Hospital you work in?

8. I'm a clinical physiology support worker, only been their 7 months and mainly do ECG's, quite boring.
    Is are those awesome actives you mentioned a everyday task?

9. Interesting. Doesn't sound bad if there's an opportunity to progress.

The activities I previous mentioned are a common theme of day to day life in a Med Regt / Fd Hosp, but there are some good opportunities. Things can get better when you get posted to teeth arms / Med Centres and it is fair to say there are good and bad sides to all cap badges (as you probably already know). Just don't join expecting to be tearing around in an ambulance, saving lives or doing anything medical very often.

10. I can only progress in my job so far then that will be it. I know the army has its lows and highs, and I know what what to expect in terms of the shite jobs to do. I would like to get out to afghan and be in a fob but I no that's for CMT's 1 and I doubt ill have enough time to do that knowing we will be pulling out soonish. What other shit would you do in a med reg?

11. and whats with the 'painting boxes' thing too??

12. To be blunt, do you save lives..??..if not as 'buddy' has posted

"Day to day activity for the CMT2 and indeed the CMT1 at a Med Regt / Fd Hosp can often consist of: counting tents and ancillary's, painting boxes, counting magazines, moving boxes, cleaning weapons and everything and anything else you can think of that is as far removed from Medicine..

13. no i don't no. i do the ECG, print it off, pop it in the patients notes for doctors to look at, if seriously abnormal, then ill flag it up.

14. Holy ****, how dare you state that CMT life in barracks is mundane and boring...... 95% of the time you are on placements or on tour (SARCASM BTW)

• Like Like x 1
  15. In your section you will have kit. This kit goes with you into the field and needs to be maintained and kept in good working order and, because you may be in a tactical situation from time to time the boxes may need to be painted to blend in with the surroundings.

You also need to familiarise yourself with all the kit and where it's kept, in which box etc. It's no good trying to treat a casualty if you don't know where what you need to treat him with is stored. Your kit will also contain items that have a limited lifespan, it is therefore important that all those items are turned over to keep them in date.

Yes, all that is mundane and routine but a good section leader will intersperse the mundane with training or other activities. If you were in my section (I left many moons ago) and had your skills I would certainly be asking you to show the lads how to set up an ECG and to demonstrate the various rhythms and sequences and what they mean.

When I was a junior in the section I used to volunteer for med covers. It might be an RE Bridge Camp, Tank or Artillery live firing, the local Officers' Polo Game or the Cub Scouts Fete or jump marking at Tweezledown. I did them all in my time and generally gained a little more experience along the way.

As I say, I'm not up-to-date but there is always something you can do to relieve boredom, routine or tedium and, in any case, it's all a process we all have to go through and there is variety if you look for it.

In my time there were plenty of CMT2 who were LCPL but then we had CMT3s so a 2 had a little more experience. Many of the TFIs who came in carried their general Army experience with them and that enabled them to gain quite quick promotion. Like everything else, you can sit in your section bemoaning your lot or you can take steps to make your career as interesting and varied as you would like it to be. A little patience goes a long way as well. Good luck