Promotion - when does the 2 years for pension start

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by 4Boys, Dec 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am anticipating being selected for promotion to Lt Col in Jun 06 and that this is for promotion in 2007. The pay rise will not occur until posted into a Lt Col's appointment.

I need to complete 2 years in rank to be eligible for a Lt Col's pension.

Does the 2 years start from promulgation of the board results in Jun 06, the day I start in the Lt Col's post or some other date?
  2. The two years will start from the first day you are paid as a Lt Col either acting or substansive.
  3. It think it used to be that you had to do 3 years in acting rank to be eligible for the pension so do acting days count the same?. If I were to have 2 months in acting rank would the pension then come in after a year and 10 months in substantive rank?
  4. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Yes and no!

Any day spent in paid rank in the last five years of service is reckonable for pension purposes. The 2 years that you speak of are in order to receive the full pension.

For example: if you only served one year as an acting or substantive Lt Col in your last 5 years you would receive half of the difference between Maj and Lt Col, if you had 2 days in paid rank you would recieve 1/365 of the difference.

Hope this helps.

of course this only applies to AFPS 75, I have no bloody idea what the rules are for AFPS 05!
  5. How odd to find such a senior officer not knowing the pension rules. Very strange indeed.
  6. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Not at all, I often find myself briefing some rather *cough* crusty types on pension entitlements. You also find that as some reach that stage in their career (nearly pensionable) that paranoia starts to creep in and all it takes is some half-witted comment from someone in the mess to send the most knowledgeable and experienced of servicemen screaming for the FSA.
  7. or to ask on arrse.
  8. From my experience, its quite the opposite. Officers tend to be up on their pay knowledge compared to ORs. This obviously only covers pay and not allowances cos as we all know, officers can't write out a claim for love nor money.......
  9. Does the same sort of principal apply to OR's as well?
    Back in 1993 I was promised the rank of WO2 if I was to extend my service. I served within 45 days of a WO2's pension never acheiving the substansive rank but as "acting" WO2 for 1 year and 320 days.
    I finished in the Army in October 1995, would it be to late to try to pursue a WO2's pension or for some sort of compensation? Would the British Legion be of any help?
  10. Does substitution pay count towards the 2 years?

For example, if I did 6 months getting substitution pay of Sgt at somepoint, but only got promoted to ASgt 18 months before discharge. Would the accumulated 24 months get me a Sgt's pension?
  11. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Your pension should reflect the fact that you spent this time in acting rank. I would be really surprised if it did not.

Just to confirm - were you actually appointed to the acting rank AND being paid for it?

If this is the case you may wish to PM your pension figures to me and I will investigate further.
  12. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

No, substitution pay does not count. You should have received 3/4 of the difference between Cpl and Sgts pension added to a Cpls pension however.
  13. Are you saying that if you miss the 24 months, you get a proportional amount?
  14. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

That is exactly what I am saying. One day in paid rank will give you an increase.

For example: Let's say the pension for a Cpl is £8000

Pension for Sgt £10000

If you had spent a year as an acting or substantive Sgt your pension would be proportional. i.e. £9000*

(*note - figures for illustrative purposes only)

Edited to add - this applies only to paid ranks held in the last 5 years of service.
  15. Soldier_Why,

unless I am very much mistaken (and that is entirely possible) only periods in excess of one complete calendar year will lead to a 'step up'. Anything less than one year is disregarded - exactly one year will earn you half of the difference between the lower and higher rank and each extra day in excess of one year will earn you a further 1/365th of the remaining difference.

That is for soldiers and officers who have held a higher substantive rank - different rules apply to those officers who have held acting rank I believe.

I will try and dig out the relevant extract from the Pensions Warrant as soon as I can.