Promotion to S/Sgt eh.... No.

Another anecdote from my experience; there was no such thing as acting rank in my unit. Ptes filling full screw slots, lanc jacks as acting sergeants, and none getting the pay for that slot. The 'saved' money was used to fund bn hqs old boys club; plenty of le officers without real jobs having spurious posts created for them.

Took a full Col from another unit pointing them to the regs to get a response, and that was 'interesting, we will look into it's. No prizes for guessing the outcome.
I'm not calling you out here, but wouldn't "someone" in Glasgow have noticed that many positions in a unit were filled with bods acting "two-up". How would that fit with annual unit fitness reports?

Evening all

Bit of help/ guidance/ grow up and be a big boy please?

I came off the Board for Staffy in Sept 2016 and posted from an ATU to a UOTC in the belief that I was being posted on promotion.

In March 2017 I received and kept an email from the RSM saying it was done but as my desk at Glasgow was undermanned, to wait a month or two and chase it.

In June 2017 I chased it at Glasgow to be told it was a unit thing. I emailed the AWO on June 18th but no reply. I have been chasing it since.

I spoke with and emailed my new RSM and in Feb this year did yet again. After he has dug about, I'm being told that I should have gone forward to a 'Job Board' as the PID I'm in is that of Sgt. Apparently, no-one told me, no-one knew and I've been wearing an Acting rank since Mar 17. The next job board is not until Sept/ Oct and I'm stuck acting until then and with little to no prospect of being paid for the two years at Staffy and with the loss of any seniority.

I have been told I have no grounds for a Service Complaint as I didn't chase it up. I did. With evidence I did.

So: is there a Job Board (never heard of it before)? Would this constitute a Complaint for Career Foul?

Any experts out there?

Cheers in advance.
I might be wide of the mark here, but aren't promotion and posting boards two separate things?
I can't remember if this is true for ORs in E1 or E2 posts, but when an AR officer is graded for promotion it is still up to them to find a job at the next rank. In other words, a Major who has 'pinked' is eligible to apply for Lt Col posts, but until they get one they must continue applying for posts in their substantive rank. So, just because you are 'cleared' to Staffy, you won't be one unless your current PID is rank-ranged or you successfully run for a SSgt PID.
My experience of the Regular officer system is that it will find them a post automatically.

Probably a difference between reg and res
The principal Regular/AR difference I have seen with SCs is that the investigative process is slower in the AR for two reasons.
1. The AR have less experience and tend to plod through the process as time permits (the SC Ombudsman knows this, hence the timelines are guidelines). Interestingly, this does not seem to affect the quality of outcome; Regular units fück up just as many cases as the AR. Its the RAF who seem to have got the thing under control.
2. If investigated by the SCW, delays can occur because the team is overworked, understaffed and doesn't like working at weekends...which is when the AR tend to be available. In one case I had to deal with, an AR Sgt witness was heavily criticised by the investigating officer for lack of cooperation and accused of obstructing the investigation. Turned out the guy was in routine phone contact and had volunteered plenty of interview dates but the Regular RMP Sgt investigator refused to work weekends. Funny old world.

People also need to bear in mind that if acting rank is held for over two years then it becomes pensionable.

The_Duke

LE
My experience of the Regular officer system is that it will find them a post automatically.
It doesn't so much find them a post as only promote to the number of empty spaces. A Regular won't pink unless they are above the quality line (score enough points to theoretically promote) and high enough up the list to be above the quantity line. If there are 20 jobs available, and 40 people above the quality line then the line gets drawn under the 20th name on the list (quantity line).

In the AR, the list isn't cut off and you don't get posted into a role - you get told you are good enough to apply and then it is up to you to look at the job lists and apply via the various boards. It is by no means guaranteed that highest score = get the job either as factors like distance from the role, previous experience, time availability etc come into play. This really only starts to kick in at Sgt/Capt and above, and even then not always consistently.

Fair enough, but in the context of the OP's question it amounts to the same thing. The Regular doesn't have to do any more work to capitalise on the grading.

Incidentally, I was told recently that your position in the grading list does have a strong influence, particularly with E2 posts. They are quite willing to give a post to someone who has to travel further and can't give as much time as a competitor on the basis of where they sit in the grading order. Which would be fine if the grading were empirically sound, but the amount of annual 'yo-yoing' I have heard about says otherwise.

The_Duke

LE
Fair enough, but in the context of the OP's question it amounts to the same thing. The Regular doesn't have to do any more work to capitalise on the grading.

Incidentally, I was told recently that your position in the grading list does have a strong influence, particularly with E2 posts. They are quite willing to give a post to someone who has to travel further and can't give as much time as a competitor on the basis of where they sit in the grading order. Which would be fine if the grading were empirically sound, but the amount of annual 'yo-yoing' I have heard about says otherwise.
I can promise you that they might say that, but the reality is slightly different!